Hermes Interplanetary Spacecraft (from The Martian) [DISCONTINUED]

xxhansonmaxx

Those windows on the centrifuge module were the only things that looked out of place on the Hermes.

Some people still seem to think that a crew needs big windows in the living area of their spacecraft. Honestly I think that the constantly spinning view of nothing but the void for months on end would actually cause more harm to the crew than good.

Those windows on the centrifuge module were the only things that looked out of place on the Hermes.

Some people still seem to think that a crew needs big windows in the living area of their spacecraft. Honestly I think that the constantly spinning view of nothing but the void for months on end would actually cause more harm to the crew than good.

It could allow you to see problems that are on the ship I suppose. Or to make you feel less coped up.

jfull You get more sunlight :D

NateDaBeast I think it would require infernal robotics to rotate, animations wouldn't work if things are attached to it

What about the Kosmos solar panels? Those track.

Some people still seem to think that a crew needs big windows in the living area of their spacecraft.

For visuals in storytelling!

I think it would require infernal robotics to rotate, animations wouldn't work if things are attached to it

DSEV http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/135717-1-0-4-Deep-Space-Exploration-Vessels-1-0-Build-NASA-Inspired-Ships-In-KSP has a good example of a rotational hub using Infernal Robotics. However this makes it hard for orbital construction as docking to ports either directly or indirectly attached to IR parts gets nasty.

Having not yet had the chance to watch the twitch streams I'm assuming that the hab comes in pieces?

To get around the IR construction issue is by launching the whole rotation section folded up using IR parts then unfolding it to shape with docking ports then holding it together and providing proper crew transfers. Whilst the docking ports connect it doesn't change the ship part tree as they are already connected via the IR parts. The real issue with this is part count!

I'm quite looking forward to this. Keep up the good work!

Peace.

Building the hab ring ala Roverdude's method (and others, such as porkjet), who built a 1 piece rotational hub, that does not have the issues of decelerating time glitches, or has to be turned on again once you focus back to the ship. Also, trying to get the weights correct for the counter torque on the DSEV is a real challenge.

Building the hab ring ala Roverdude's method (and others, such as porkjet), who built a 1 piece rotational hub, that does not have the issues of decelerating time glitches, or has to be turned on again once you focus back to the ship. Also, trying to get the weights correct for the counter torque on the DSEV is a real challenge.

They have inflatables... this is constructed in LKO piece by piece. I not exactly sure how IR would perform, I need to get the parts in-game and test it.

All part of the challenge? But yes, DSEV has issues when you move in and out of warp with the rotation still going tends to result in rapid unplanned disassembly. With Pork jets inflatables you can't ever turn them off and the challenge of orbital construction or origami is lost.

They have inflatables... this is constructed in LKO piece by piece. I not exactly sure how IR would perform, I need to get the parts in-game and test it.

At some point I'll post a video of my rotational hab launched on a tier two launch pad. At some point.

Peace.

Nuclear or ion?

If I'm not mistaken (also in de book??) , it's supposed to be an ION drive.

But looking at the shots from the movie, it's visuals much more resemble a MPTD like drive (plasma drive), powered by a nuclear reactor, hence the radiator array.

Looking pretty good, hopefully we will be able to recreate some of the awesome scenarios that the Martian had. Especially looking forward to trying to calculate the gravity assist back to Duna/Mars from Kerbin.

If this is released, I'll try to make a RF/RO/RSS config for it to please people who want to play masochistically.

Looking pretty good, hopefully we will be able to recreate some of the awesome scenarios that the Martian had. Especially looking forward to trying to calculate the gravity assist back to Duna/Mars from Kerbin.

If this is released, I'll try to make a RF/RO/RSS config for it to please people who want to play masochistically.

An RO Config :D That'd be awesome

PS: Book its a VASMIR.

Even if it was an Ion engine in the movie, I'd say do VASMIR, that seems more realistic and what I use on my Interplanetary ships in my KASA game.

From the look of the exhaust in the movie it's definitely Ion of some kind, probably VASMIR since they stuck pretty close to the book with everything else.

It specifically says ion in the book.

It specifically says ion in the book.

A funny fact is about one type of ion propulsion system is the

Hall Effect Rocket with Magnetic Shielding is spelled in short: HERMeS

:P

So it might be this kind of system.

Although in reviews I read about the book, vasimir is mentioned as the type of propulsion system used. Other only use only the term 'ion propulsion'.

But I haven't read the book yet so I can't judge the correctness of said reviews.