Hermes Interplanetary Spacecraft (from The Martian) [DISCONTINUED]

xxhansonmaxx

On ‎14‎.‎05‎.‎2016 at 9:03 AM, xxhansonmaxx said:

Well from my blender calculations it should fit perfectly, but it just doesn't... rn u can just use KAS struts or something like that

could it be that the attach nodes to not line up like in blender?
Do you have a ss of the parts in blender, with the working alignment?

Spoiler

pUU8SUn.png

UmazXPH.png

bYqSAUl.png

It just does not look like it is correct.

Edited by Alewx

• 3 weeks later...

Hello you sexy mod creator.

First off, let me say that this is quite possible the coolest mod available. I just have one request. Can you please upload an old version of the Hermes Ring Module? For the sake of using less parts. The latest version of the ring is 30+ parts and doesn't quite work as well as the single part ring module. Its a bit buggy and I'm struggling to get the centre module of the Hermes into orbit. 

I successfully built the hermes in 3 large modules and docked together in LKO. 

The hype is real!!!! Especially since the movie premiered on HBO this weekend. I have been invigorated with my need to play out martianesquie missions in KSP. "Mark"(see what i did there) me as one the people who are really excited about this mod getting updated. Love the MAV and IVA's awesome just awesome.

tumblr_n1nx98yYrQ1ttoxpno1_400.gif

Edited by sp1989

Anyone know if this works in 1.1.2? I can't even get it recognized. The Aresexploration dir is under game data as well as trying the hermes.. is there as well.I did the hermes one by accident but it didn't matter.

I really hate not being able to see if anyone is a steely eyed missile kerbal....

*** Just thought I would edit this in instead of adding a new post. Much to my surprise after posting this and going back to explore the Mun much to my surprise all of a sudden all the parts showed up. I am running 1.12 x64. I did play at putting it together but its HUGE lol. Had no idea where all the parts belong. After looking at the various parts I exited sandbox and went back to carrier. I ended up with a ton of stranded kerbals and saw the MDV sitting in the parts so used it. I couldnt see the correct heatshield so just threw a stock 3.75 on it as well as 6 drogue and 6 radial chutes. Even with the smallest 3.75 fuel tank and a lt45 engine I ended up with 2200dv in orbit. The only thing that seemed off was the handholds. The rescued kerbals would bounce off the mdv hand rails near the hatch. After 3 or 4 bounce I could usually board. Definitely something not quite right with the handrails. After collecting everyone flawless re-entry I still had a bunch of dv from the builtin engines. That was enough to drop the decent rate a bit more.

Anyway it works in 1.1.2 and other than the handrail issue seems to be flawless. Many kudos to you guys for doing this!! Any chance of a assembly guide ?LOL

Edited by Wragie
new info

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So what's the current status? The MAV is looking great, and the IVA's are looking good too. Is this currently on hold, or are you about to release?

If you are not about to release, would you be willing to put up some WIP development downloads for people to test out and report bugs for the new MAV and IVAs and other new features?

Also, since you are turning this into more of a "the martian" mod, will you be making a Hab as well?
Are you going for the single-dome inflatable design of the book or the multi-module rigid design of the movie? (I'm a purist myself)

Who knows. Maybe you can have airlock 1 with a strong decoupler built in, so that we can blow up the hab like in the movie.

@TheSpeedyWanderer34: Most of the Hermes parts seem to work in 1.1.3. I'll try assembling one in orbit, and update once testing is done.
Also, xxhansonmaxx, are you interested in modulemanager configs to make this compatible with Connected Living Space, Community Tech Tree, and USI Life Support? I created them for my own career game, and would be glad to share them. 

Edited by PDelta41
Added mod and narrative

It worked in 1.1.3 for me. The only things that are not 100% is the hab module rotation (never can get to rotate though I do get the settings) and the previously mentioned handhold issue. Not sure the huge size of the complete Hermes counts. The craft file worked out as well. 

Still chronically misusing the MDV in other designs. Its just too handy a size lol. 

7 hours ago, Wragie said:

It worked in 1.1.3 for me. The only things that are not 100% is the hab module rotation (never can get to rotate though I do get the settings) and the previously mentioned handhold issue. Not sure the huge size of the complete Hermes counts. The craft file worked out as well. 

Still chronically misusing the MDV in other designs. Its just too handy a size lol. 

Lol indeed XP. My main problem is the solar panels. They just remain a weird black colour. The metallic parts of the panels remain grey but the actual light photocells are just completely black.

@xxhansonmaxx , I have a couple bugs to report and a couple quick questions.

So there are some bugs in 1.1.3. As TheSpeedyWanderer34 said, the solar panels are black. Also, when you rotate the ring the crew tunnels going out rotate in relation to the actual hub, turning it from a + shape to almost a swastika, before snapping off. Also, time warp makes all of the connectors bend out of shape. I'm guessing because not all of the ports are docked, so it is trying to drift away. I think that's nothing a couple KAS pipes and struts can fix, but it is still annoying. I have tried bringing new sections up to replace ones that snap off, but I find that if I make any contact with the ship components (especially the ring) the screen starts shaking as if I am pulling extreme G's, yet the G-force gauge stays at zero. It also prevents me from time wraping and makes manuvering almost impossible. If I contact them on EVA, my kerbal goes flying off at a couple hundred meters per second, and I have to use almost half of my EVA pack to get back. I can't make any guesses as to what is causing it, but it may be something like what happened with the magic boulder. 

So it would be great if you could investigate and fix those bugs. 

Also, I saw you were making a MAV. How's the progress? It looks almost complete to me. There is a MAV by Phoenix Industries, but it only holds 3 kerbals. That means that it would take 2 MAVs to get them up to Hermes. So, in your next update, could you see about including a WIP MAV? That would be nice. Adding to that, would you be able to add life-support and KIS inventory support to IRIS? I was thinking of using them as the pre-supply probes. I plan to use wing parts to make a Hab.

By the way, how is your progress so far? Are you actively updating the mod, or is this on hold, or what? Are you about to release, or weeks from it?

Either way, I love the mod. I would love to see what's next.

(Mods I have read the forbidden content section. I am not pressuring them to update or anything like that. For the love of god please stop giving me forbidden content strikes, since I am not pressuring them to update, but merely trying to get an idea of when it might be out, and what their status is. No pressure.)

Hey there yall. I just got back from my vacation to China, I didn't bring my work along because I wouldn't have time to work on it. OrbitalEscape is currently on his vacation out in the wilds I think... thats what he told me, he'll probably be back around August. I know there's a lot of bugs playing with the mod in 1.1.3, right now its still designed to work with 1.0.5. I don't have the unity files right now to fix it, all I can do is model the IVAs which I will start soon!

Sorry for the wait guys

Edited by xxhansonmaxx

On 29.7.2016 at 1:48 AM, xxhansonmaxx said:

Hey there yall. I just got back from my vacation to China, I didn't bring my work along because I wouldn't have time to work on it. OrbitalEscape is currently on his vacation out in the wilds I think... thats what he told me, he'll probably be back around August. I know there's a lot of bugs playing with the mod in 1.1.3, right now its still designed to work with 1.0.5. I don't have the unity files right now to fix it, all I can do is model the IVAs which I will start soon!

Sorry for the wait guys

Hope you enjoyed the vacation, I'd love to see version 0.4 with the MAV and the other cool stuff.:)

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry guys, Me and OrbitalEscape has decided to stop working on this mod. Our school work have been increased drastically and have pretty much taken over our lives. We want to say a BIG THANK YOU to all of you guys who have constantly supported us through this journey, you know who you are! This mod meant a lot to me, it has taught me everything I know about 3D modeling, texturing and made me more interested in spaceflight and physics. T'was fun while it lasted, I've posted all the files on dropbox if anyone wants to continue this mod.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b5p7dan58wat83y/AADUhRoklx_6QZfWSMpMPM4sa?dl=0   feel free to download and do what you want with them (as long as you give credit)

I'm probably not going to make KSP mods for a while, maybe I'll get back to it one day.

Well, I guess this is a goodbye, for now, :( Au revoir, 再见!

- Hanson, Colt

Edited by xxhansonmaxx