Hermes Interplanetary Spacecraft (from The Martian) [DISCONTINUED]

xxhansonmaxx

Happy New Year!

Here's some of the parts that will be in the next update w1lSORK.png

What kinda launch vehicle was needed for that?

I used hyperedit lol, this will probably need a 3.75 or 5m rocket

Edited by xxhansonmaxx
answered question

15 hours ago, xxhansonmaxx said:

Happy New Year!

Here's some of the parts that will be in the next update w1lSORK.png

I used hyperedit lol, this will probably need a 3.75 or 5m rocket

is that the resupply craft on the top left?

Edited by BananaIsAFruit

5 hours ago, mark7 said:

so,what about the MAV?Or should I say the DAV?hh

I did work on it, but the Hermes comes first

4xtS0ya.png

BTW, what do u guys think these parts are? The left looks like some sort of comms arrary, the other looks like an airlock or a weird docking port...

tayRyhv.png

I emailed Andy Weir but he doesn't know since he didn't work on the post production

HE ACTUALLY REPLIED TO ME HEHE

Edited by xxhansonmaxx

@xxhansonmaxxI would think that the Hermes would have redundant docking ports for refueling or anything that doesn't require a crew to interact with. The array on the ventral part appears to be some kind of science array or detection equipment for external conditions outside the ship, probably just redundant greeble since this is a concept ship designed by Hollywood. And since Hollywood really doesn't make concept art into concept science, it's hard to tell what anything is on this ship that's not obvious. 

4 hours ago, xxhansonmaxx said:

the other looks like an airlock or a weird docking port...

A canister for science experiments? That also justifies small manipulator there. Just like the one outside of Kibo.

5 hours ago, xxhansonmaxx said:

I did work on it, but the Hermes comes first

4xtS0ya.png

BTW, what do u guys think these parts are? The left looks like some sort of comms arrary, the other looks like an airlock or a weird docking port...

tayRyhv.png

I emailed Andy Weir but he doesn't know since he didn't work on the post production

With it having an arm attached I feel like it could help with docking.

First of all. Great work!! I have the knowledge since the start and i, just like many others, could see an amazing advance in it. Congratz!!

Well i still think that the ring should be one part and the rotation would be an animation. I played a lot with IR and i've created a sort of rotating ring too to my ships. The thing is, when i try to make maneuvers i need to stop its rotation so i can be able to perform the maneuvers accuretaly and i need to stop its rotation to time warp because if i don't all the thing explodes. Well that's my opinion but you who decide things here, i just wanted to leave the reasons of the why of my thinking. Continue the work, it's great!!!

Edited by klisdaor

On 08/01/2016 at 6:26 AM, xxhansonmaxx said:

I'm gonna try to make those in the future

@OrbitalEscape got the IRIS and some of the other parts in-game! The ring kinda spins with Infernal Robotics, still trying figuring out counter rotation problems.

BOYUZW5.jpg

Soon™

Will there be an option for the current Ring, but with the updated textures?

On January 5, 2016 at 11:27 AM, xxhansonmaxx said:

I wouldn't ask Andy anything about the vehicles in the movie. He had nothing to do with the film's production other than writing the source material (not the script) and he probably signed off on the script. 

I don't think he even got invited to the set, however he's afraid of flying anyways and the film was shot on location and on stages in Jordan. 

v0.2 SAVE BREAKER! 

Texture/Model Revamps, Added IRIS, Added Individual Ring Segments, Added IR parts, Added 3 new crew modules, Added Adapters, Crew Modules now hold crew, Removed old single Ring part, Mod now requires Infernal Robotics

Get it here:

https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/1338/Hermes%20Interplanetary%20Spacecraft

Upcoming: IVAs, MAV, Near Future Fuels, bumpmaps, and more!

Edited by xxhansonmaxx

1 hour ago, klisdaor said:

That's great!! But how do i control the spin?? when i activate all the hermes starts to spin. Help!!

when using the spinning ring you will have to have SAS on to counter the rotation.  If you built the ship right there should be enough SAS power