Hermes Interplanetary Spacecraft (from The Martian) [DISCONTINUED]

xxhansonmaxx

The MDV doesn't appear in the movie except for when he was getting hydrazine but only the engines are visible, so there is no information on it from the movie

For what it's worth, he gets hydrazine from the descent stage of the MAV. The MDV and MAV are separate craft, as the MAV is there for eighteen months, creating fuel from the atmosphere. The MDV would have had to landed somewhere around the site. In the book it's clearly stated they are separate.

In the movie, they kind of left out the MDV all-together, so I'm not sure if they're saying the MAV as supposed to fulfill both roles or not. (It is rather huge.)

xxhansomaxx:Looks awesome, however I would remove the nosecone. I always assumed it was docked with Hermes during the Mars-Transfer and then flown down separately. I love the tiny piston-like landing legs though!

Edited by -ctn-

Well, when reading a book I've imagined MDV to look like a simple can with 3 or 4 engines in the middle of the bottom, sunken into the hull, and a discardable deploying heatshield on bottom. Pretty much like the Mars Ascent one, but smaller.

*I'll go and see the movie tomorrow :P

Well, when reading a book I've imagined MDV to look like a simple can with 3 or 4 engines in the middle of the bottom, sunken into the hull, and a discardable deploying heatshield on bottom. Pretty much like the Mars Ascent one, but smaller.

*I'll go and see the movie tomorrow :P

MDV is not in the movie unfortunately, just like the CZ-9 and Delta IX weren't in it either.

This is my idea of a Duna Descent Vehicle. The really awesome thing is, this is my 3rd mission to Duna and my second with a crew. So pretty sweet for me too. There is plenty of "hydrazine" left for someone to perhaps get stuck on the planet. Like this guy is!

http://imgur.com/a/x0wDK

">Javascript is disabled. View full album

Also, how do I put the albums on the forum post?

Edited by Sgt.Shutesie
Asking a small question

This is my idea of a Duna Descent Vehicle. The really awesome thing is, this is my 3rd mission to Duna and my second with a crew. So pretty sweet for me too. There is plenty of "hydrazine" left for someone to perhaps get stuck on the planet. Like this guy is!

http://imgur.com/a/x0wDK

Also, how do I put the albums on the forum post?

Use

[imgur]x0wDK[/imgur]

MDV is not in the movie unfortunately, just like the CZ-9 and Delta IX weren't in it either.

Does the book really mention the CZ-9 and Delta IX by name? As far as I can recall, it purposefully leaves any spacecraft names vague, and only calls specific ones by mission name: Hermes, MAV, MDV, Taiyang Shen...

I don't recall specific designations for spacecraft or launch vehicles.

Does the book really mention the CZ-9 and Delta IX by name? As far as I can recall, it purposefully leaves any spacecraft names vague, and only calls specific ones by mission name: Hermes, MAV, MDV, Taiyang Shen...

I don't recall specific designations for spacecraft or launch vehicles.

It does not mention the CZ-9, but it does explicily mention the Delta IX.

It does not mention the CZ-9, but it does explicily mention the Delta IX.

Huh. Happen to remember where? Is that what the EagleEye booster is supposed to be? Is the IX a typo and meant to be IV?

Edited by -ctn-

Thanks guys

theJesuit In the book it says "First, we descended from Hermes", so im assuming it was already docked with the hermes before they got to mars.

OrbitalEscape Awesome!

Sgt.Shutesie Nice, type [imgur] the imgur code and close off the tag with /

update :P

Lu7q9oe.png

Edited by xxhansonmaxx

Is that the MDV?

Yes, he said he started working on the MDV.

And I think as far as xxhansonmaxx's modded crafts (and mine), they are based on the movie version.

I think this MDV looks pretty close to what I remember the MAV capsule looking like - which makes sense.

Edit: xxhansonmaxx, excellent work! It looks awesome. Is it 2.5m/3.75m? I desperately need a 3.75 pod.

Does anyone know what the 4 parts of the rotating ring are? From the movie one was the galley, and one was the workout room. One of the youtube trailers showed the captain's office and there was gravity so i would assume that was another, and maybe the last one is the sleeping quarters?

That's a good question... The only ones I know for certain are the Recreation room and the Kitchen. I would assume the other two would be sleeping / personal quarters. Three crew per segment.

It looks like something from Take on Mars and the Boeing CST. So where would this be exactly in the mission? Docked to the Hermes, or waiting in Martian Orbit and then automatically rendezvous with it?

I think it's gonna be docked with the Hermes from LEO and undocked when they're in Mars orbit