[Min KSP: 1.12.2] Deep Space Exploration Vessels - Build NASA Inspired Ships In KSP

Angelo Kerman

46 minutes ago, drhay53 said:

Just wanted to report something; On the example craft included in the release, some of the tanks start out invisible. If you click "next variant", the textures show up. Clicking through "previous variant" can get you to the invisible texture. 

I'm guessing it's because it's still using the "FLM" versions of the parts, which are deprecated by this release, of course, and something about their textures is being wonky. It doesn't really bother me, I just wanted to let you know.

Big thanks for releasing example craft at all! Really helps to understand how the pack is 'meant' to be pieced together.

Which specific craft?

4 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

I'll take a look. Meanwhile, I started the next reference design:

ZmLfW2R.png

It's based on this:

636328main_focus-elements-lg.jpg

https://www.nasa.gov/exploration/technology/deep_space_habitat/constructing-demonstrators.html

Given that in the NASA reference pics the connecting tunnel they often have an MMSEV docked there, you'd also have planned a docking tunnel sized and with midpoint nodes positioned just right for a free-flying Buffalo? :)

Edited by B-STRK

10 hours ago, B-STRK said:

Given that in the NASA reference pics the connecting tunnel they often have an MMSEV docked there, you'd also have planned a docking tunnel sized and with midpoint nodes positioned just right for a free-flying Buffalo? :)

Most likely it would dock at the top where the 5 ports are, and avoid knocking into the solar arrays, but yeah, Buffalo was designed for space and ground. :)

3 hours ago, DerekL1963 said:

Mmmm....  space station modules...  drool..  Want!

Yup! They're a spiritual successor to Multipurpose Colony Modules. Things are moving along quickly, so I'm dusting off another design that I haven't forgotten about:

2F1uw5B.png

hwiDVIu.png

I already have the prototype parts working in game. The basic configuration is a nice SSTO craft that can get to and from Duna orbit. You can slip a 3.75m tank or two between the command pod and the EDL Tank for extra capacity. I'm also planning a storage tank that can go in place of the command pod for cargo transport. And with Pathfinder installed, the EDL Tank and EDL Frame (and Duna-18) have configuration options to help create a starter base.

11 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Definitely not seeing that issue. I just loaded up the sample craft that come with DSEV and see no issues with the fuel tanks.

Strange. I installed and then re-installed from the github release, and copied over the craft files. Even if you click "previous variant" you never get to an invisible texture? 

DSEV.version is 2.3, WBITools.version is 1.27  

In the Debug Console, when I click "Prev variant" to get to the invisible texture, I do get an Exception (pulled from output_log.txt):

Spoiler

ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
Parameter name: index
  at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[System.String].get_Item (Int32 index) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at WildBlueIndustries.WBIMeshHelper.SetMeshIndex (Int32 index, Int32 guiIndex) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at WildBlueIndustries.WBIMeshHelper.PrevMesh () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at BaseEvent.Invoke () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UIPartActionButton.OnClick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCall.Invoke (System.Object[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCallList.Invoke (System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.Events.UnityEventBase.Invoke (System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.Events.UnityEvent.Invoke () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.UI.Button.Press () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.UI.Button.OnPointerClick (UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData eventData) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute (IPointerClickHandler handler, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute[IPointerClickHandler] (UnityEngine.GameObject target, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData, UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventFunction`1 functor) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents:Execute(GameObject, BaseEventData, EventFunction`1)
UnityEngine.EventSystems.StandaloneInputModule:ProcessMousePress(MouseButtonEventData)
UnityEngine.EventSystems.StandaloneInputModule:ProcessMouseEvent(Int32)
UnityEngine.EventSystems.StandaloneInputModule:ProcessMouseEvent()
UnityEngine.EventSystems.StandaloneInputModule:Process()
UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem:Update()

Edited by drhay53

2 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

I already have the prototype parts working in game. The basic configuration is a nice SSTO craft that can get to and from Duna orbit. You can slip a 3.75m tank or two between the command pod and the EDL Tank for extra capacity. I'm also planning a storage tank that can go in place of the command pod for cargo transport. And with Pathfinder installed, the EDL Tank and EDL Frame (and Duna-18) have configuration options to help create a starter base.

A 3.75m base diam command module?  It'll also make a nice Kerbin orbit large crew delivery/recovery vehicle too.

23 minutes ago, DerekL1963 said:

A 3.75m base diam command module?  It'll also make a nice Kerbin orbit large crew delivery/recovery vehicle too.

Yup! The Estonian is Orion-like, in that it has a large crew capacity for launching into orbit. You already have the Clydesdale and Danube Delta Orbital Command Pods, which are 3.75m in diameter and built for space. I've seen them used for orbital launches, but some of the crew would be in really odd positions for that, so I cooked up the Estonian. Plus, the original vision for DSEV was to have a Mars Excursion Module, and the Estonian finally fits that bill.

34 minutes ago, drhay53 said:

Strange. I installed and then re-installed from the github release, and copied over the craft files. Even if you click "previous variant" you never get to an invisible texture? 

DSEV.version is 2.3, WBITools.version is 1.27  

In the Debug Console, when I click "Prev variant" to get to the invisible texture, I do get an Exception (pulled from output_log.txt):

Hide contents

ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
Parameter name: index
  at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[System.String].get_Item (Int32 index) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at WildBlueIndustries.WBIMeshHelper.SetMeshIndex (Int32 index, Int32 guiIndex) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at WildBlueIndustries.WBIMeshHelper.PrevMesh () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at BaseEvent.Invoke () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UIPartActionButton.OnClick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCall.Invoke (System.Object[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCallList.Invoke (System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.Events.UnityEventBase.Invoke (System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.Events.UnityEvent.Invoke () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.UI.Button.Press () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.UI.Button.OnPointerClick (UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData eventData) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute (IPointerClickHandler handler, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute[IPointerClickHandler] (UnityEngine.GameObject target, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData, UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventFunction`1 functor) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents:Execute(GameObject, BaseEventData, EventFunction`1)
UnityEngine.EventSystems.StandaloneInputModule:ProcessMousePress(MouseButtonEventData)
UnityEngine.EventSystems.StandaloneInputModule:ProcessMouseEvent(Int32)
UnityEngine.EventSystems.StandaloneInputModule:ProcessMouseEvent()
UnityEngine.EventSystems.StandaloneInputModule:Process()
UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem:Update()

Are you sure you've got things installed correctly? "Prev variant" usually indicates that something is definitely wrong. I installed from GitHub and had no problems.

30 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Are you sure you've got things installed correctly? "Prev variant" usually indicates that something is definitely wrong. I installed from GitHub and had no problems.

I installed straight from github, two different times before posting.  But, I was just allowing the files to be overwritten instead of wiping out the full DSEV folder.

This time I wiped out the whole DSEV folder and re-installed, and it seems to be working correctly. Generally I don't wipe out mod folders willy-nilly because some of them store settings in there and I've screwed myself over that way before. I probably should have realized with the deprecated parts and texturing changes that a fresh install would have solved this one. 

Ahhhh....  Angel, I find your service modules so much better looking than stock ones, I'd hoped you'd made a 2.5m one to go with the Delta revamp and not told us, leaving it for a nice surprise.   Alas, my hopes were dashed!

Maybe in the next revision?

On 9/10/2017 at 11:30 PM, Angel-125 said:

Most likely it would dock at the top where the 5 ports are, and avoid knocking into the solar arrays, but yeah, Buffalo was designed for space and ground. :)

Yup! They're a spiritual successor to Multipurpose Colony Modules. Things are moving along quickly, so I'm dusting off another design that I haven't forgotten about:

2F1uw5B.png

hwiDVIu.png

i like this, my question is... is there i way of giving it another convertible module, e.g. for kis parts or equipment......

8 hours ago, DerekL1963 said:

Ahhhh....  Angel, I find your service modules so much better looking than stock ones, I'd hoped you'd made a 2.5m one to go with the Delta revamp and not told us, leaving it for a nice surprise.   Alas, my hopes were dashed!

Maybe in the next revision?

Wasn't planning on it but you could rescale an existing one..

I learned a new trick today, thanks to @Ven's Stock Part Revamp: how to replace 3D meshes through ModuleManager! Currently, when you install Pathfinder, the Mule looks like this:

DSBkcim.png

In its day circa 2014, the model held up well compared to the competition. Now, with the new station parts I'm working on, when you install Pathfinder and DSEV together, you get the new model:

mOAehO2.png

The Mule will match up well with the new station parts. Thanks for showing how it's done, Ven! :)

Is it going to be togglable models between the two when both DSEV and Pathfinder are present? Noticing that the DSEV Mule doesn't have the visible RCS that the Pathfinder Mule has. :)

21 hours ago, Krakatoa said:

Hahah, the dangers of warp travel. *epic music* Stardate: today. Everything is going swimmingly, about to come out of warp.

*poof*

i belive i said 'feck it, that will do to show for a video' after all iw was a bloomin days worth of work just gettin it into orbit or the 64k kerbin!

10 hours ago, B-STRK said:

Is it going to be togglable models between the two when both DSEV and Pathfinder are present? Noticing that the DSEV Mule doesn't have the visible RCS that the Pathfinder Mule has. :)

Actually, I'm deleting the RCS ports. Since I wouldn't know which way was up, I added both top and bottom RCS ports, but I never really liked that solution. The new endcaps I'm working on will have them.

Edited by Angel-125

14 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Actually, I'm deleting the RCS ports. Since I wouldn't know which way was up, I added both top and bottom RCS ports, but I never really liked that solution. The new endcaps I'm working on will have them.

Got it! (And gah, will have to redesign a Mule-based light cargo transport then come the next DSEV/Pathfinder update. Not a problem though, I think I can KIS the new endcaps in the field. :) ) The RCS on the endcaps are going to be similar to the Mule's (meaning unidirectional per modeled port), or will they be more like the 5-way RCS modules in Buffalo? (If you're willing to take recommendations, I'd go with the latter.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.