[Min KSP: 1.12.2] Deep Space Exploration Vessels - Build NASA Inspired Ships In KSP

Angelo Kerman

Hey, I'm sure I'm one of the MANY people who have asked this, but how can I get that centrifuge to NOT spin my ship? The ship spins in the direction of the counter-hub, and the weight is equal to my hub, via 4 symmetrical MASSCONs. I've tryed many different combinations of speed/acceleration, but can't get it right. Any tips?

54 minutes ago, ComatoseJedi said:

Did you invert the spin on the counter hub?

Yes, figured out my problem. I minimized the speed on the counter-hub then activated SAS to keep it balanced and then it worked. Must have forget SAS the first time round. Sorry!

A little update on what idle hands are doing. I felt this mod needed some parts to complete the look of the Discovery II DSEV. So here is what I come up with. Please bear in mind: this is my first ever part mod. I know there's a lot of room for improvement, but just capturing the essence of how this ship is supposed to look like, needless to say, there is always room for improvement. When I learn more, I'll give these parts a good once over (may a thrice over). 

Enjoy and thanks to @Angel-125 for such a fantastic mod to inspire someone by. 

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

Looks good! I like the NASA look. :)

Hey, you did all the hard work on this. You just inspired me to make something to give it that NASA look. Granted, it's not perfect, but this is helping me learn how to make my own parts. 

• 4 weeks later...

I've had to reduce my workload due to things taking a lot longer than expected, so for now I shelved the Copernicus until I have more time. Otherwise I keep getting pestered about when it'll be ready. The Nautilus can use most of what I've already done but even then I need to overhaul the parts. That won't happen until Pathfinder and MOLE are in a better shape.

...Annnnd I could instead get stuck on Pathfinder, and do this:

U5gEhgD.jpg

This rebuild of the trusses is hopefully going to alleviate some of the rendering performance issues in the current system. For once, you won't need two parts just to carry fuel in a truss. You'll have the standard hollow configuration, fuel tank config, and a new crew tube config (needed for the Nautilus). :)

Edited by Angel-125

Got the hex truss overhaul done!

nBvHkVp.png

Get the latest here!

1.1.0: Refits

This release kicks off the DSEV overhaul project. It's intended to alleviate the performance issues found in previous versions of the mod and to update the artwork. Expect to see remodeling of the fuel tanks once I know how the new stock fuel tanks will look in KSP 1.2.

In this release in particular, you'll find an improved hex truss system, 2.5m fuel tanks separated from 3.75m tanks, and 1.25m tanks separated from the 1.875m tanks. The 1.875m tanks have been retired. If you want 1.875m tanks in the future, try the newer Titan line from Mark One Laboratory Extensions.
There's also a bonus in the form of an old engine brought back to life.

KSP 1.1
- Recompiled for KSP 1.1 pre-release

New Parts
- Re-introduced the nuclear aerospike as the WS-N7 "Viper" dual-mode nuclear aerospike. This advanced nuclear engine supports liquid fuel mode for good ISP and LFO mode for high thrust, and its aerospike gives it good ISP across a variety of atmospheric pressures.
- Added FLM-6400, FLM-3200, and FLM-1600 fuel tanks. These 2.5m tanks come in gold foil and stock-alike orange.
- Added FLM-400 and FLM-200 fuel tanks. These are 1.25m tanks.

Hex Truss System
- The Hex truss sytem has undergone remodeling, giving them an art style similar to the Buffalo's chassis system. You can now switch between a hollow truss with a variable number of equipment racks (same as before, just new models), a fuel tank that holds various resources, and a crew tunnel. There are four hex truss options available: double, full, half, and quarter.
- The Hex Node and Hex Adapter have also been remodeled.
NOTE: The older hex truss system models have been deprecated. Existing ships won't break, but you won't be able to build new ones with the older parts.

29 minutes ago, RocketSquid said:

Wait, does this mean 1.875m tanks will just disappear, or that they'll stick around to avoid breaking craft?

If it's the first one, I have a mothership to redesign in the next few weeks.

None of the old parts have been deleted. Your current ships won't break, you just won't be able to build new ships with the old parts.

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

None of the old parts have been deleted. Your current ships won't break, you just won't be able to build new ships with the old parts.

In that case, I have a mothership to replicate using the new parts once 1.1 drops.

DSEV 1.1.2 for KSP 1.1 is now available

Get the latest here!

- Recompiled for KSP 1.1 release
- Updated to latest WildBlueTools

New Parts
- Re-introduced the nuclear aerospike as the WS-N7 "Viper" dual-mode nuclear aerospike. This advanced nuclear engine supports liquid fuel mode for good ISP and LFO mode for high thrust, and its aerospike gives it good ISP across a variety of atmospheric pressures.
- Added FLM-6400, FLM-3200, and FLM-1600 fuel tanks. These 2.5m tanks come in gold foil and stock-alike orange.
- Added FLM-400 and FLM-200 fuel tanks. These are 1.25m tanks.

Hex Truss System
- The Hex truss sytem has undergone remodeling, giving them an art style similar to the Buffalo's chassis system. You can now switch between a hollow truss with a variable number of equipment racks (same as before, just new models), a fuel tank that holds various resources, and a crew tunnel. There are four hex truss options available: double, full, half, and quarter.
- The Hex Node and Hex Adapter have also been remodeled.
NOTE: The older hex truss system models have been deprecated. Existing ships won't break, but you won't be able to build new ones with the older parts.

FLM-14400, 7200, 3600
- Due to issues with colliders, the 3.75m tanks have been refactored to remove their 2.5m counterparts. You can still switch between the stock-alike orange texture and the gold foil texture. Older tanks have been deprecated. Existing ships won't break, but you won't be able to build new ones with the older tanks.

FLM-450, FLM-900, FLM-1800
- Deprecated the 1.875m fuel tanks. Existing ships won't break, but you won't be able to build new ones with the older tanks.

Edited by Angel-125

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, RocketSquid said:

So, I'm playing in 1.1.1 and I realized that the HexPorts only seem to have one attachment node all of the sudden. Is this intended, or an error?

One attachment node? I'll have a look. Should be two just like any other docking port...

15 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

One attachment node? I'll have a look. Should be two just like any other docking port...

49 minutes ago, RocketSquid said:

So, I'm playing in 1.1.1 and I realized that the HexPorts only seem to have one attachment node all of the sudden. Is this intended, or an error?

You know, I think that may be something to do with 1.1 and not any specific mod. Or, rather, something changed in 1.1 and not all mods have caught it. I use Ven's stock revamp, and the 'stock' (revamped) docking ports do the same thing for me, there's no attachment node VISIBLE where the port would attach to another docking port, but here's the thing: sometimes the port will attach at that location anyway, but then sometimes it won't. It's like the editor is hiding the node because they have some weird thing in the Engineer's Report about 'using a docking port as a decoupler', like that's some sort of major bad thing to do. So what? It's MY ship, I'll design it how I like, you ain't the boss of me, if I want to use a docking port instead of a decoupler I will! You ain't even my real dad!!

Ahem, sorry, anyway, my point is that I've seen this behavior with Ven's Revamped docking ports, the ones from this mod, and also from Near Future construction and I think 1 or 2 other mods that I can't remember right now. Just sayin'. :)

Yeah, last night I checked the config, and it does have two nodes. And, on further investigation (rapidly spawning and deleting a part) it appears that the node is there, but that it vanishes whenever I pick up a part. And when the docking port is the root part, nothing will attach to it.

Edited by RocketSquid

Okay, now I've found the problem:

TweakableEverything includes a code to add a second node to shielded docking ports that are open in the editor. It determines whether or not a docking port is shielded by checking for the presence of ModuleAnimateGeneric.

Both the HexPort and the Dock-o-tron have ModuleAnimateGeneric for the lights. This makes TweakableEverything hide the docking node when the shields aren't open. Unfortunately, the HexPort does not actually have shields, so they are never technically "open" in a way it can recognize. Fortunately, I can fix it once I convert the TweakableEverything code into something readable (Darnit, Toadicus! Use your enter key!).

1 hour ago, RocketSquid said:

Do they do the same thing?

Yup, pretty much. Although the WBIDockingPortHelper might not like you, so maybe instead just delete the ModuleAnimateGeneric and WBIDockingPortHelper. The docking ports will function as a normal docking port but you won't have the fancy fancy lights.