[Min KSP: 1.12.2] Deep Space Exploration Vessels - Build NASA Inspired Ships In KSP

Angelo Kerman

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

New Multi Hex Truss. This works like the stock payload fairing where you can attach parts to the trusses:

Eu0Iadx.png

At max length:

y1rkk3j.png

Why has this not been done before, or why have I not considered it before? Genius. 

Peace.

P.S. What is the actual length in total?

3 hours ago, theJesuit said:

Why has this not been done before, or why have I not considered it before? Genius. 

Peace.

P.S. What is the actual length in total?

When these trusses were made two years ago, Squad didn’t have the fairings or the structural node part modules. So making variable length trusses wasn’t an option. Max length is about 50 meters.

Edited by Angel-125

Got the hex hangar adapter done. You can connect various part sizes to it:

s60OZD4.jpg

The adapter completes the corridor of the Nautilus:

rufTp9s.jpg

And here is the Automated Construction Hangar:

9BWGQSD.jpg

With OSE Workshop installed, you can manufacture parts without the need for crew-albeit slowly. Eventually it'll be able to build whole spacecraft too. While I still have more parts to complete, at this point, the Nautilus is done!

Here she is at Duna:

nRgFPQb.jpg

Want to give it a try? Here's a pre-release!

I'm on track to finishing up DSEV by the end of the month. Next up is the Hypernova, a 7.5m diameter fusion torch engine for really big ships...

Edited by Angel-125

19 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

With OSE Workshop installed, you can manufacture parts without the need for crew-albeit slowly. Eventually it'll be able to build whole spacecraft too. While I still have more parts to complete, at this point, the Nautilus is done!

Is there a way to rig OSE Workshop to apply Tweakscale  to the parts it manufacturers? I'm running a RSS game so nearly everything gets "upsized" at least once to fit the scale, which limits the uses for OSE.

Admittedly this should probably go in another thread, but I don't think OSE is being actively supported anymore so....

20 minutes ago, Mandella said:

Is there a way to rig OSE Workshop to apply Tweakscale  to the parts it manufacturers? I'm running a RSS game so nearly everything gets "upsized" at least once to fit the scale, which limits the uses for OSE.

Admittedly this should probably go in another thread, but I don't think OSE is being actively supported anymore so....

OSE Continued was updated 11 days ago. I don’t know if it supports tweakscale.

1 hour ago, Mandella said:

Workshop can only build parts with their default configurations (the part prefab to use the technical term).

I'm not sure how you could support arbitrary part configuration since parts behave differently in the editor (SPH/VAB) than in flight where the workshop window operates. I'm not aware of any other mod that attempts this either. Extra Planetary Launchpads and Ground Construction which are the other main ways of creating new parts off-world both rely on defining whole craft files in the editor to act as a template for what is being built.

I suppose one way might be to allow workshop to build single parts from craft files/subassemblies that were configured in the VAB/SPH but even that would require reworking the OSE part selection windows and build queue processing to allow for the alternative source of pre-configured parts.

Edit: please take any replies to the OSE Workshop thread as it's a bit off-topic for this thread.

Edited by Aelfhe1m

Took the day off today to play KSP, so not much done. That said, I did some work on the engine's "pilot light" fusion reactor:

DTLppLU.png

Just like the Supernova, the Hypernova has a fusion reactor that stays lit while the engine is activated. @JustJim might recognize it as the Hammerhead from The Saga of Emiko Station as it's based in part from the reactor in his series. It's basically a squashed Mandarin reactor with some retexturing (WIP) and extra bits, but it'll do the job. :)

10 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Just like the Supernova, the Hypernova has a fusion reactor that stays lit while the engine is activated. @JustJim might recognize it as the Hammerhead from The Saga of Emiko Station as it's based in part from the reactor in his series. It's basically a squashed Mandarin reactor with some retexturing (WIP) and extra bits, but it'll do the job. :)

Oh neat!!!

Wait... is this an even bigger engine???  :0.0:

1 hour ago, Just Jim said:

OMG.... I got's to have me one of those!!!  :)

Me too! The goal is to build an engine and craft capable of reaching a place like @adsii1970's Nohochacyum Planetary System or one of the other stars in @Galileo's Planet Pack. For that, you need rockets with really good ISP and sufficient thrust to not tear your hair out while making the burn.

To that end, I've been doing some design work on the Hypernova's power pack (fuel injection system):

U3SYuxt.png

Now that I have an idea of how it works, I can properly texture the thing...

Edited by Angel-125

On 12/21/2017 at 11:03 AM, Angel-125 said:

The Nautilus Centrifuge is done!

And it's too awesome for words.  I'm a flotilla guy, not a mothership guy, but this is so cool I now have to break tradition.

On 12/21/2017 at 6:20 PM, Angel-125 said:

10m spherical storage with the typical Wild Blue ability to switch resources.

You know, it looks to me like you should be able to fill this with helium and go fly with it :) 

On 12/23/2017 at 4:17 PM, Angel-125 said:

New Multi Hex Truss. This works like the stock payload fairing where you can attach parts to the trusses:

Holy crap!  Brilliant!

On 12/27/2017 at 1:15 PM, Angel-125 said:

To that end, I've been doing some design work on the Hypernova's power pack (fuel injection system):

I have so many Really Bad Ideas for such an engine... :D 

You know, this thread is just as entertaining to me as most Mission Reports.  This thread has huge amounts of both imagination and the craftsmanship to bring it to reality, and it evolves day-to-day like a story.  Maybe this should really be in Mission Reports?

Edited by Geschosskopf

16 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

And it's too awesome for words.  I'm a flotilla guy, not a mothership guy, but this is so cool I now have to break tradition.

You know, it looks to me like you should be able to fill this with helium and go fly with it :) 

Holy crap!  Brilliant!

I have so many Really Bad Ideas for such an engine... :D 

You know, this thread is just as entertaining to me as most Mission Reports.  This thread has huge amounts of both imagination and the craftsmanship to bring it to reality, and it evolves day-to-day like a story.  Maybe this should really be in Mission Reports?

Thanks! :) The engine is taking awhile to make, partly because this week I've been playing KSP instead of just modding it. Really needed a break. Anyway, I got more done with the Hypernova today:

nV7duAF.jpg

I still have to make the electron guns and induction coils, and need to texture the fusion pellet feed, but I like the direction that this engine is going in. Sadly I don't think I'll have everything done before the end of the month, but I'll be just a few parts away.

On 12/19/2017 at 9:35 PM, Angel-125 said:

I finished the disco ball and dance floor:

Just need to make the jukebox and overlay, and some minor texture tweaks, then the Nautilus Centrifuge will be done at last!

Just seeing this post now... Wow!  Looks like a venue that Kaft Punk could play in :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.