[Min KSP: 1.12.2] Deep Space Exploration Vessels - Build NASA Inspired Ships In KSP

Angelo Kerman

10 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

With the tank remodeling nearly done, and BARIS finally stabilized, I can finally get back to what I was working on with DSEV...

And what about those long range deep space (with all new engines) parts you've talked about? When do I get to break those in, erhm, play with them...? :wink:

3 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

And what about those long range deep space (with all new engines) parts you've talked about? When do I get to break those in, erhm, play with them...? :wink:

Well, the current lineup looks like:

DSEV: Tank Redux

DSEV: Odyssey Two (Multipurpose Colony Modules remodeled and given a new home; Kopernicus)

DSEV: Odyssey Three (NAUTILUS-X)

DSEV: Final Odyssey (long range deep space parts)

Edited by Angel-125

1 minute ago, Angel-125 said:

Well, the current lineup looks like:

DSEV: Tank Redux

DSEV: Odyssey Two (Multipurpose Colony Modules remodeled and given a new home; Kopernicus)

DSEV: Odyssey Three (NAUTILUS-X)

DSEV: Final Odyssey (long range deep space parts)

Well, right now, there's not a lot to see in that system. I've had some of the questions I needed answered to help prepare the first planet.

But the other problem I am running into is texture. While I do understand the concept of it, I am having a booger of a time coming up with something I like. I'm getting close, but right now, the image you are seeing in the spoiler is using a temporary texture.

But I will tell you this - the blue-white dwarf is hot and throws a lot of intense heat out. I've had probes come near to the point of exploding when on the day side of the first planet...

Spoiler

IRyK4Fp.png?1

NFZbnyE.png?1

Once I have this planet done and uploaded to GitHub (I am still having issues with this) instead of DropBox, it will be the third release. I'm planning to do an asteroid belt and a ringed gas giant (without moons)  for the fourth release. The gas giant will be far enough out that probes and spacecraft have to worry about overheating when orbiting between the planet and the star. But anyway, I am learning a lot.

Hm...

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=28414.0;

The stock C7 Adapter is really close to that nosecone shape!

i5WnWuf.png

I'm skipping the nosecone part. :)

That means I'm turning my attention to a nicer looking 2.5m decoupler and probe core that match the Delta tanks. If I get those done before 1.3.1 is ready, then I'm kicking this release out!

3 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Hm...

I'm skipping the nosecone part. :)

That means I'm turning my attention to a nicer looking 2.5m decoupler and probe core that match the Delta tanks. If I get those done before 1.3.1 is ready, then I'm kicking this release out!

I wouldn't mind if you redid all the decouplers. Personally, I think the stock ones all suck. Either that, or maybe allow the decouplers to be resized... that might be good, too!

@Angel-125

While waiting for silicone to dry, I started poking around GitHub because I have run into the docking port issue Grumby referenced back in May.  So......

If I understand GitHub and pull requests correctly, would I be able to take Grumby's DR 375 dock o tron fix and slap it into my (sorry) 1.2.2 save?  As in can I copy the Green text field into a new config file to overwrite/patch the DR 375 config in the DSEV 2.0 version I'm running? Or something to that effect? Sorry, not at my laptop, so i can't actually open anything, but it sort of makes sense in my head.....

I forgot about the "not able to dock issue" until earlier today.... :confused:

If that's not going to work I have a couple very Kerbal ideas for fixing my ship; using only a little bit of KIS/KAS explosives.

21 minutes ago, smotheredrun said:

@Angel-125

While waiting for silicone to dry, I started poking around GitHub because I have run into the docking port issue Grumby referenced back in May.  So......

If I understand GitHub and pull requests correctly, would I be able to take Grumby's DR 375 dock o tron fix and slap it into my (sorry) 1.2.2 save?  As in can I copy the Green text field into a new config file to overwrite/patch the DR 375 config in the DSEV 2.0 version I'm running? Or something to that effect? Sorry, not at my laptop, so i can't actually open anything, but it sort of makes sense in my head.....

I forgot about the "not able to dock issue" until earlier today.... :confused:

If that's not going to work I have a couple very Kerbal ideas for fixing my ship; using only a little bit of KIS/KAS explosives.

Actually, you could just straight up copy the 3.75m docking port's config file and drop it into your 1.2.2 save...

DSEV 2.3.0 is now available!

This release remasters the fuel tanks, adds a couple new ones, and introduces a new Size 2 decoupler and probe core. @SpaceKadet @Krakatoa Tanks are done! :)

Remodled Parts
- 3.75m "Duna" Fuel Tanks: The existing Size 3 tanks have been remodeled and renamed the "Duna" series of tanks. CRAFT BUILT WITH THESE TANKS ARE SAFE! Just the names shown in the parts catalog and the texturing have changed. The tanks have several textures to choose from. You can switch between gray, white, and orange textures.
Conversion Chart:
FLM-3600 -> Duna-36
FLM-7200 -> Duna-72
FLM-14400 -> Duna-144

- 2.5m "Delta" Fuel Tanks: The existing Size 2 tanks have been remodeled and renamed the "Delta" series of tanks. CRAFT BUILT WITH THESE TANKS ARE SAFE! Just the names shown in the parts catalog and the texturing have changed. You can switch between traditional orange and a new white texture.
Conversion Chart:
FLM-1600 -> Delta-16
FLM-3200 -> Delta-32
FLM-6400 -> Delta-64

- 1.25m "Moho" Fuel Tanks: The existing Size 1 tanks have been remodeled and renamed the "Moho" series of tanks. CRAFT BUILT WITH THESE TANKS ARE SAFE! Just the names shown in the parts catalog and the texturing have changed.
Conversion Chart:
FLM-200 -> Moho-2
FLM-400 -> Moho-4
FLM-800 -> Moho-8

- Delta Engine Coupler: This Size 2 part now switches between orange and white.

New Parts
- Delta-8 Storage Tank: This is the same size as the Rockomax X200-8 tank. It comes in orange and white
- Duna-18 Storage Tank: The same height as the Rockomax X200-8, this Size 3 tank holds a variety of resources. It has several textures to choose from.
- Delta Decoupler: This slim Size 2 decoupler can be switched from orange and white. Available in Advanced Rocketry.
- Delta Guidance Unit: While not as advanced as the RC-L01 Remote Guidance Unit, the Delta Guidance Unit combines a probe core with a SAS package. It comes in orange and white and is available when you unlock Specialized Control.

Reference Designs
- Hyperion T.A.V. now uses stock shuttle wings.
- Added Delta Heavy reference design. It can lift 36 metric tons into orbit with delta-v to spare. Be sure to re-root the craft to your payload.

Edited by Angel-125

With 2.3.0 out the door, it's time to take another look at the parts needed for the Deep Space Habitat/Deep Space Gateway:

X1zLam7.png

So, MCM Refit, or Spiritual Successor? I think it boils down to how many people are using the Multipurpose Colony Modules, found in Pathfinder's Extras folder. Currently I'm not using them.

Just now, Angel-125 said:

With 2.3.0 out the door, it's time to take another look at the parts needed for the Deep Space Habitat/Deep Space Gateway:

So, MCM Refit, or Spiritual Successor? I think it boils down to how many people are using the Multipurpose Colony Modules, found in Pathfinder's Extras folder. Currently I'm not using them.

I've never had any luck in getting the extras folder to work...

33 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

I've used them occasionally, although I don't believe my current save has them in use anywhere.

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

I'm not using any of the MCM pieces, though I thought about it. Installed at one point, but my derpiness with trying to install it lead to me deleting it and moving on. I'd love to see and use the spiritual successor, though, because the role they fit is something I've been wanting.

Edited by Krakatoa

3 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Knock yourself out.  I always have MCM handy in case I need it, but I only rarely do.  And I've just gotten back into KSP and BARIS will certainly keep me from doing anything very ambitious for some time to come :).

The reason I rarely use MCM is because 1) I do flotillas instead of motherships, and 2) it's extremely rare that I find an orbital base more advantageous than a ground base.  After all, orbital bases need resupplies on a regular basis so are a logistical nightmare.  Thus, my typical station is merely a transshipment node where lifters can park resources until they're needed by a space-going vessel.  It consists of a collection of tanks and docking ports without any permanent crew.

Given the above, some might wonder why I use DSEV at all.  Well, it's because while I might not build huge motherships, I definitely mount large expeditions and find the parts extremely useful.  Some of my "small craft" in flotillas verge on "mothership" size sometimes :D.

6 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

I use MCM now and then however Something new is good also.

47 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Spiritual Successor it is then. :) MOLE already has the space docks...

@Geschosskopf Makes me think of this:

With those D2 modules...

The spacedock and ship launcher are going to be a primary purpose of my Duna mothership, pretty excited about what I'm gonna do with that. Using the smaller one for my "believability" for this particular ship and it'll be able to launch small landers or planes. Is your idea to make a sort of mount or cradle that can hold the D2 pieces for landing chunks of bases?

3 minutes ago, Krakatoa said:

The spacedock and ship launcher are going to be a primary purpose of my Duna mothership, pretty excited about what I'm gonna do with that. Using the smaller one for my "believability" for this particular ship and it'll be able to launch small landers or planes. Is your idea to make a sort of mount or cradle that can hold the D2 pieces for landing chunks of bases?

Yeah, I'm thinking that the D2 module would somehow fit into the frame, and you'd stick some smaller junction piece on the bottom to complete the ensemble. Probably not in the Odyssey Two release unless it comes together rapidly..

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

Spiritual Successor it is then. :) MOLE already has the space docks...

@Geschosskopf Makes me think of this:,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

With those D2 modules...

That pic's been around.  IIRC, @RoverDude used it for the original version of MKS, which looked pretty much like that including the color scheme.  And if you build ;your Pathfinder bases around the that starter tank you can put jettisonable wheels on (I forget the name, it's been a while), you get something that looks just like that (only with better color scheme) before you deploy the modules :wink:

23 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

DSEV 2.3.0 is now available!

This release remasters the fuel tanks, adds a couple new ones, and introduces a new Size 2 decoupler and probe core. @SpaceKadet @Krakatoa Tanks are done! :)

Remodled Parts
- 3.75m "Duna" Fuel Tanks: The existing Size 3 tanks have been remodeled and renamed the "Duna" series of tanks. CRAFT BUILT WITH THESE TANKS ARE SAFE! Just the names shown in the parts catalog and the texturing have changed. The tanks have several textures to choose from. You can switch between gray, white, and orange textures.
Conversion Chart:
FLM-3600 -> Duna-36
FLM-7200 -> Duna-72
FLM-14400 -> Duna-144

- 2.5m "Delta" Fuel Tanks: The existing Size 2 tanks have been remodeled and renamed the "Delta" series of tanks. CRAFT BUILT WITH THESE TANKS ARE SAFE! Just the names shown in the parts catalog and the texturing have changed. You can switch between traditional orange and a new white texture.
Conversion Chart:
FLM-1600 -> Delta-16
FLM-3200 -> Delta-32
FLM-6400 -> Delta-64

- 1.25m "Moho" Fuel Tanks: The existing Size 1 tanks have been remodeled and renamed the "Moho" series of tanks. CRAFT BUILT WITH THESE TANKS ARE SAFE! Just the names shown in the parts catalog and the texturing have changed.
Conversion Chart:
FLM-200 -> Moho-2
FLM-400 -> Moho-4
FLM-800 -> Moho-8

- Delta Engine Coupler: This Size 2 part now switches between orange and white.

New Parts
- Delta-8 Storage Tank: This is the same size as the Rockomax X200-8 tank. It comes in orange and white
- Duna-18 Storage Tank: The same height as the Rockomax X200-8, this Size 3 tank holds a variety of resources. It has several textures to choose from.
- Delta Decoupler: This slim Size 2 decoupler can be switched from orange and white. Available in Advanced Rocketry.
- Delta Guidance Unit: While not as advanced as the RC-L01 Remote Guidance Unit, the Delta Guidance Unit combines a probe core with a SAS package. It comes in orange and white and is available when you unlock Specialized Control.

Reference Designs
- Hyperion T.A.V. now uses stock shuttle wings.
- Added Delta Heavy reference design. It can lift 36 metric tons into orbit with delta-v to spare. Be sure to re-root the craft to your payload.

interesting.... especially with what im working on....

Just wanted to report something; On the example craft included in the release, some of the tanks start out invisible. If you click "next variant", the textures show up. Clicking through "previous variant" can get you to the invisible texture. 

I'm guessing it's because it's still using the "FLM" versions of the parts, which are deprecated by this release, of course, and something about their textures is being wonky. It doesn't really bother me, I just wanted to let you know.

Big thanks for releasing example craft at all! Really helps to understand how the pack is 'meant' to be pieced together.