[Min KSP: 1.12.2] Deep Space Exploration Vessels - Build NASA Inspired Ships In KSP

Angelo Kerman

12 hours ago, Sudragon said:

741 KM/s delta-v? Grand tour time. Or colony to Jool.

Yup, that's Torch Mode. Cruise Mode's thrust drops significantly but you get a corresponding increase in ISP. You also get cruise control, which will enable you to generate thrust under timewarp. This is mostly for those times when you want to point to a distant star and hit the throttle without taking hours to do the burn. Head to @adsii1970's Nohochacyum system or a system in the Galileo Planet Pack in a reasonable timeframe and without a warp drive.

Anyway, today I'm working on the cruise control, then I have just two more parts to do, and DSEV is done! I debated making 5m "Jool" tanks as well, and I'm still on the fence about that. I don't particularly care for the DLC's 5m tanks, and I could modify my 3.75m "Duna White" tanks to make a 5m variant. I'd have to replicate the adapter piece and engine mount.

For reference, DLC 5m tanks:

RFlIP2v.png

Duna tanks, I'd use the center set for the Jool line:

dsR2kqN.png

Not sure if there's much interest in 5m tanks though. Of course they'd have the WBI fuel switchers..

Edited by Angel-125

To be fair to @SQUAD, I like the remodeled textures they've done for the DLC's 1.875m tanks:

tumblr_inline_oyv17a75Zy1rr2wit_540.jpg

tumblr_inline_ozku6vlImd1rr2wit_540.jpg

They're a definite improvement over what they showed us originally. If they can provide the same treatment to their 5m tanks, then I'm sold; I can patch the tanks in my game with my fuel switcher and call it a day. If not, then I respect their decision and can make my own tank set that's more to my art tastes. Either way, I'll wait and see what the DLC brings; it already has some nice parts and great functionality. :)

Putting the finishing touches on the Cruise Control:

n1KVoqi.png

In order to use Cruise Control, you have to activate the engine, and turn on Cruise Control. You set the desired throttle and desired fuel reserve percentage (to prevent you from running out of gas while on timewarp), and then engage timewarp. Cruise Control does not work when timewarp is disengaged (at the first triangle). Also, the game won't let you adjust any controls while you're in timewarp, so be sure to aim for your target properly before engaging cruise control. You might also need to periodically disengage timewarp and adjust your course.

And yes, I added Cruise Control to the Supernova and the Tesla. It's kind of like a legal form of warp drive. :)

What does the variable-length truss, the Nautilus tank cluster, the spherical fuel tank, and the new Hypernova engine (with cruise control) amount to? This:

8OsCf0t.png

My next part is something like the ISV Venture Star's radiator. I said I wasn't going to replicate the ISV Venture Star in KSP, but you can sort of get there with the new DSEV parts. :)

@Angel-125 I think I've found a bug with your configuration plugin. After reconfiguring something to a different fuel type (like the cluster tank to torch fuel) It seems to add liquid fuel and oxidizer in the actual game. It's possible this might be related to fuel switch though as I also have KSPi installed.

So I'm pretty much done with all the parts for DSEV, save for this one:

PRYslEZ.png

fAiud3y.png

It's an enormous heat shield- you'd have to assemble it in orbit- that's 22.5m in diameter. It definitely aerobrakes ok, but if you go too deep into an atmosphere, that test craft flips around...

Reference:
Pegasus%200.jpg

mac-rebisz-20151008-kronos-leo-1920-027.

bartlomiej-kordowski-sc1.jpg?1506538175

Edited by Angel-125

2 hours ago, Sudragon said:

We're going to need steaks, big ones. And possibly a few kilos of prawns (shrimp to you American types) and possibly a small bowl of salad.

sorry man, I'm scottish, i don't understand this 'salad' thing you speak of... Isn't it the thing you feed to food :P 

4 hours ago, Space Kadet said:

whoops, anyway, any chance you could move the estonians COM down a bit (towards the wind end) im getting alot of flippin on aero braking....

Already been done. :)

4 hours ago, Space Kadet said:

ummmmm
3CeEP8D.jpg

Is that with the pre release?

15 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Already been done. :)

Is that with the pre release?

yup, i figured it might be just because t was a pre release, but just incase i let you know :D 

I always duplicate the install for new mods after one to many killed saves...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.