[Min KSP: 1.12.2] Deep Space Exploration Vessels - Build NASA Inspired Ships In KSP

Angelo Kerman

I don't know if that's how it supposed to be, but  SPF-50 solar array doesn't turn it's surface towards the sun, but the exact opposite it turns it's surface to mount on same the plane with the sun (mostly radiators do that) until both surfaces shadowed.

In that position, it generates maximum energy o.O when i forcibly rotate entire ship with SAS to make SPF-50 surfaces face the sun, it generates 0 energy.

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed something when I imported my 1.4.5 career save into my 1.5.1 game copy - the KerbalKISItems folder is missing from the DSEV downloaded from Spacedock.   Was this intentional due to the new KIS/KAS version or an oversight?   I copied the folder over from my 1.4.5 game & reloaded & everything seems to be working ok.

On 11/12/2018 at 10:32 PM, oguz said:

I don't know if that's how it supposed to be, but  SPF-50 solar array doesn't turn it's surface towards the sun, but the exact opposite it turns it's surface to mount on same the plane with the sun (mostly radiators do that) until both surfaces shadowed.

I've noticed that also - I haven't used them for a long time for that reason.

11 minutes ago, Cavscout74 said:

I just noticed something when I imported my 1.4.5 career save into my 1.5.1 game copy - the KerbalKISItems folder is missing from the DSEV downloaded from Spacedock.   Was this intentional due to the new KIS/KAS version or an oversight?   I copied the folder over from my 1.4.5 game & reloaded & everything seems to be working ok.

I've noticed that also - I haven't used them for a long time for that reason.

Noted and noted. I'll take a look and see what's going on.

• 3 weeks later...

@Angel-125 so ive had a spy and the large greenhouse dosent work with tac life support but the small dose, however from what i can see in the file none of the other converters like o2 recyclers work either, also the gondo garden on Hizenberg dosent work either with TAC. sorry for the headache. 

i tested this with just your mods installed and my full modmental install and they both have the same issues.

@Angel-125I don't think the Trinity nuclear reactor is warming up to temp, I had an issue where it wouldn't go above around 7% load on this craft, which has tons of active cooling (it's basically 3 ships that each have their own nuclear reactor, their own cooling systems and so on, and the trinity is supposed to be the main engine).

lwptJ1v.png

Added the following to MM_trinity.cfg and it seems to be working better now -- at 24% efficiency instead of 7%, at least. On the other hand I now get that annoying ISRU behavior where the radiators get hot during timewarp and it's turned them all pink. I need the electricity to make this ship work, though, the other half of my dV is plasma ion drives.

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleOverheatDisplay
    }

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleCoreHeat
        CoreTempGoal = 1000                    //Internal temp goal - we don't transfer till we hit this point
        CoreToPartRatio = 0.1                //Scale back cooling if the part is this % of core temp
        CoreTempGoalAdjustment = 0            //Dynamic goal adjustment
        CoreEnergyMultiplier = 0.1            //What percentage of our core energy do we transfer to the part
        HeatRadiantMultiplier = 0.05        //If the core is hotter, how much heat radiates?
        CoolingRadiantMultiplier = 0        //If the core is colder, how much radiates?
        HeatTransferMultiplier = 0            //If the part is hotter, how much heat transfers in?
        CoolantTransferMultiplier = 0.01    //If the part is colder, how much of our energy can we transfer?
        radiatorCoolingFactor = 1            //How much energy we pull from core with an active radiator?  >= 1
        radiatorHeatingFactor = 0.01        //How much energy we push to the active radiator
        MaxCalculationWarp = 1000            //Based on how dramatic the changes are, this is the max rate of change
        CoreShutdownTemp = 4000                //At what core temperature do we shut down all generators on this part?
        MaxCoolant = 400                    //Maximum amount of radiator capacity we can consume - 50 = 1 small
    }    

Edited by dire

4 hours ago, dire said:

@Angel-125I don't think the Trinity nuclear reactor is warming up to temp, I had an issue where it wouldn't go above around 7% load on this craft, which has tons of active cooling (it's basically 3 ships that each have their own nuclear reactor, their own cooling systems and so on, and the trinity is supposed to be the main engine).

Added the following to MM_trinity.cfg and it seems to be working better now -- at 24% efficiency instead of 7%, at least. On the other hand I now get that annoying ISRU behavior where the radiators get hot during timewarp and it's turned them all pink. I need the electricity to make this ship work, though, the other half of my dV is plasma ion drives.

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleOverheatDisplay
    }

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleCoreHeat
        CoreTempGoal = 1000                    //Internal temp goal - we don't transfer till we hit this point
        CoreToPartRatio = 0.1                //Scale back cooling if the part is this % of core temp
        CoreTempGoalAdjustment = 0            //Dynamic goal adjustment
        CoreEnergyMultiplier = 0.1            //What percentage of our core energy do we transfer to the part
        HeatRadiantMultiplier = 0.05        //If the core is hotter, how much heat radiates?
        CoolingRadiantMultiplier = 0        //If the core is colder, how much radiates?
        HeatTransferMultiplier = 0            //If the part is hotter, how much heat transfers in?
        CoolantTransferMultiplier = 0.01    //If the part is colder, how much of our energy can we transfer?
        radiatorCoolingFactor = 1            //How much energy we pull from core with an active radiator?  >= 1
        radiatorHeatingFactor = 0.01        //How much energy we push to the active radiator
        MaxCalculationWarp = 1000            //Based on how dramatic the changes are, this is the max rate of change
        CoreShutdownTemp = 4000                //At what core temperature do we shut down all generators on this part?
        MaxCoolant = 400                    //Maximum amount of radiator capacity we can consume - 50 = 1 small
    }    

Thanks, I'll incorporate that into the next release. :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2018 at 11:33 PM, AdmiralSirJohn said:

For some reason, every attempt to download the latest version, be it from Spacedock or GitHub, fails at just over 40 MB.  Chrome reports it as a network error.

No worries, I'll have another update this weekend.

Meanwhile, I've updated the Mobile Emitter:

uLNROmR.png

Deep Space Exploration Vessels 3.2.1.0 is now available.
GitHub URL: https://github.com/Angel-125/DSEV/releases/tag/v3.2.1.0

Changes

- Fixed propellant issues with the Trinity.
- Removed LiquidFuel propellant option from the Trinity.
- Fixed issues with WBIMultiModeEngine not reporting delta-v stats properly to Kerbal Engineer. NOTE: Stock delta-v won't recognize the engine switch. Nothing I can do for now...

• 1 month later...

@Angel-125  Not sure if I should post this here or in Buffalo, (the only 2 of yours I have running in 1.6.1 atm....

Was using your Mk-1 Station Arm (very cool by the way), and was just cruising around at regular speed (for a while... like 10-15 mins) in orbit waiting to de-orbit and release my ore drum to burn up on decent.

The arm's magnet was on basically the whole time as I used it to grab the ore drum after decoupling it from the cargo bay.  The arm was deployed outside of the cargobay at a "normal" angle (sorry no pics of that).  When suddenly this happened:

Spoiler

FXwgPTt.jpg?1

Here is the log file...  Ok.. now here is the log file...  What a weird place to put that...

KSP 1.6.1.

Mods

Spoiler

DSEV

All of the WBT stuff (I think)

Buffalo

Module Manager 4.0.2

Firespitter dll

Near Future Props

MAS

MechJeb2

KJR (did the fixes from the fork)

Janitor's closet

Cormorant Aeronology

B9PartSwitch

ASET

Animated Decouplers

ModularLaunchPads Alpha Dev Branch

000_KSPAPIExtensions

000_CLickThroughBlocker

Hope that helps...

Edited by smotheredrun
forum being silly

11 hours ago, smotheredrun said:

@Angel-125  Not sure if I should post this here or in Buffalo, (the only 2 of yours I have running in 1.6.1 atm....

Was using your Mk-1 Station Arm (very cool by the way), and was just cruising around at regular speed (for a while... like 10-15 mins) in orbit waiting to de-orbit and release my ore drum to burn up on decent.

The arm's magnet was on basically the whole time as I used it to grab the ore drum after decoupling it from the cargo bay.  The arm was deployed outside of the cargobay at a "normal" angle (sorry no pics of that).  When suddenly this happened:

Hide contents

FXwgPTt.jpg?1

Here is the log file...  Ok.. now here is the log file...  What a weird place to put that...

KSP 1.6.1.

Mods

Hide contents

DSEV

All of the WBT stuff (I think)

Buffalo

Module Manager 4.0.2

Firespitter dll

Near Future Props

MAS

MechJeb2

KJR (did the fixes from the fork)

Janitor's closet

Cormorant Aeronology

B9PartSwitch

ASET

Animated Decouplers

ModularLaunchPads Alpha Dev Branch

000_KSPAPIExtensions

000_CLickThroughBlocker

Hope that helps...

Were you grabbing something and time warping? The arm doesn’t like it when you time warp. It is also finicky if you smash the grabbed object into your craft.

9 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Were you grabbing something and time warping? The arm doesn’t like it when you time warp. It is also finicky if you smash the grabbed object into your craft.

Hmm...  So I noticed that occasionally the shoulder would "jump" or "skip" around it's attachment location on the shuttle (had it attached to the sidewall of the cargobay), and that was right after decoupling the payload and grabbing it with the arm (don't think I whacked the payload into the vessel)

After that I did try time warping with the grabbed object for a few seconds (noticed that the ore can separated from the arm), then went back to normal speed.  Tried the physics timewarp (using ALT+ .) and everything seemed fine, until the shoulder started doing it's thing again.  So I stopped.  It was about 5 minutes later when the whole thing went poof.

Deep Space Exploration Vessels 3.2.2.0 is now available.
GitHub URL: https://github.com/Angel-125/DSEV/releases/tag/v3.2.2.0

Changes

- Fixed overchange of Equipment costs for OmniConverter templates.
- Fixed incorrect display of Equipment costs in the Operations Manager.
- Fixed duplicate OmniConverter and OmniStorage loadouts that happen when you revert a flight back to the editor and create a new part.
- Updated Remote Tech support- thanks Jarred Allen!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Quick question regarding the fusion reactors: How much radiator capacity does each one need? It's not listed in the part listing GUI, and I want to make a fusion-electric Crew Transfer Vehicle, so... I'd wind up guessing on the radiator capacity, which I really hate doing.

Edited by MaverickSawyer

29 minutes ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Quick question regarding the fusion reactors: How much radiator capacity does each one need? It's not listed in the part listing GUI, and I want to make a fusion-electric Crew Transfer Vehicle, so... I'd wind up guessing on the radiator capacity, which I really hate doing.

DSEV's fusion reactors have a different requirement. They don't produce heat. They require an investment of a few thousand EC as an oven needs a lit match before it can wield its larger flame. The PAW for them (at least in flight) will tell you how much EC they require. Once you know that, you know how much in reserve batteries or a backup fission reactor to bring along.

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

DSEV's fusion reactors have a different requirement. They don't produce heat. They require an investment of a few thousand EC as an oven needs a lit match before it can wield its larger flame. The PAW for them (at least in flight) will tell you how much EC they require. Once you know that, you know how much in reserve batteries or a backup fission reactor to bring along.

They don't require cooling? Huh. Doesn't make sense, but okay.

@MaverickSawyer Angel particularly dislikes the stock thermal system. It's troublesome to configure and is known to be very faulty, poorly implemented, and overly biased towards one thing (making ISRU overheat to give radiators their one, miserable job). And these are at least part of why he created BARIS. I could write a paragraph or two on how and why the thermal system should be better but this may not be the place for it.

23 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

This must be an indication of how long I've been away from actually playing the game/how much has changed since 1.3.1 (which I'm still usually using).  I could have sworn at one point the reactors did produce heat....  Although I agree the stock cooling system is shall we say... interesting...

*goes to read DSEV changelog from 1.3.1 on*