[Min KSP: 1.12.2] Deep Space Exploration Vessels - Build NASA Inspired Ships In KSP

Angelo Kerman

8 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Deep Space Exploration Vessels 3.0.0.1 The Final Odyssey is now available:

The last major release to Deep Space Exploration Vessels completes the original vision for the mod by introducing new parts to make the Nautilus, a kerbalized version of NASA's NAUTILUS-X along with new cargo bays, a revised hex truss system, a new 2.5m cryopod, non-cylindrical fuel tanks, a new radiator, and a powerful new fusion engine. At this point, future updates to DSEV will focus on bug fixes and minor tweaks.

I'm happy to say that DSEV is now feature complete!

New parts

- D2 Cargo Bay (Advanced Metalworks): Styled like the D2 crewed parts, the cargo bay is a nice Size 3 alternative to the stock Mk3 cargo bay. It comes in 3 lengths.

- Hex Hangar (Composites): This large hangar can snugly fit Size 3 parts. It comes in 3 lengths.

- Hangar Adapter (Composites): Use this adapter to attach the Hex Hangar to Size 3, Size 2, or Size 1 parts.

- Automated Construction Hangar (Composites): This specialized hangar lets you make individual parts without the need for kerbals- albiet slowly- if you have OSE Workshop installed.

- Nautilus Airlock (Composites): This radially attached hexagonal airlock seats 2 and has an extendable porch for conveniently attaching EVA items.

- S-2 Nautilus O.C.P. (Composites): This radially attached orbital command pod provides guidance for your vessels and good views. It even has a small built-in greenhouse!

- Nautilus Centrifuge (Composites): The Nautilus Centrifuge is a spinning habitat ring with living quarters for up to 16 kerbals. With Pathfinder installed, the centrifuge slowly generates data for use in labs, and provides production bonuses to the vessel's Pathfinder templates. The Jukebox actually works! Sadly, licensing doesn't let me distribute songs from Saturday Night Fever (not even MIDI versions). But you can place custom music under 000WildBlueTools/Music. Just look around for a free converter that can make .ogg files (Audacity comes to mind) and you're good to go!

- Nautilus Tank Cluster (Composites): This cluster of fuel tanks has built-in radiators as well as built-in adapters for Size 3 and Size 2 parts. it also has engine mounts for up to 7 Size 7 engines.

- Daedalus Storage Tank (Large Volume Containment): This 10-meter spherical fuel tank holds a variety of resources. A lot of resources.

- Meat Locker CryoShelter (Station Modules): Essentially a smaller version of the D2 Cryo Shelter, the Meat Locker is the size of a Hitchhiker and can hold 4 kerbals in cold storage.

- D2HT-2 Adapter (Advanced Metalworks): This is a longer version of the D2 to Hex truss adapter.

- D2 Quarter Truss (Advanced Metalworks): This part is the D2 equivalent of the Quarter Hex Truss.

- D2 Hex Node (Advanced metalworks): This part is the D2 equivalent to the Hex Node.

- Multi Truss: What this truss lacks in amenities it makes up for in its multi-length options. There's also a D2 equivalent.

- WB-9 "Hypernova" Fusion Torch (Torch Drives): This advanced fusion engine has two modes; a high thrust, high specific impulse, high heat "Torch Mode" and a lower thrust and insane ISP "Cruise Mode." If you activate Cruise Control, you can perform engine burns during timewarp. And yes, the transmitter functionality is intended; Project Daedalus's second stage motor doubled as an antenna...

- Avatar Radiator (Large Electrics): This non-rotating radiator is cheaper and lighter than the Graphene Radiator. But it doesn't rotate.

- Storage Shield (Nanolathing): This massive heat shield is 22.5m in diameter when fully assembled, and can hold an enormous amount of resources. It has a hollow center for attaching other parts like engines (You'll need to toggle the built-in cap first). Once assembled, it cannot be disassembled.

- Storage Shield Cap (Nanolathing): This specialized part caps the hole in the Storage Shield when you remove its built-in shield cap. It has the ability to open and close to expose parts stored inside the hollow section of the Storage Shield.

New Contract
- Touring: This contract requires you to send 1 or more tourists to a specific vessel and return them home safely after a few days stay.

Cruise Control
This is a new feature added to all DSEV engines. Cruise Control lets you perform engine burns during timewarp. There are some caveats which will be explained below. To use Cruise Control, right-click on the part to set the desire cruise throttle level and fuel reserve percent, then click the Cruise Control button. Symmetry parts will automatically be updated.

---Controls---
Cruise Control Button: On/Off, this button enables/disables cruise control. If enabled, then the engine will perform a burn when you timewarp.
Cruise Throttle: Controls the throttle level during cruise control. The throttle affects how much propellant to expend and thus your delta-v during timewarp.
Fuel Reserve: During timewarp you can expend fuel pretty quickly. This slider prevents you from using up all your fuel. When your fuel supply drops below the setting, you'll drop out of cruise control and timewarp.

---Caveats---
The game's heat mechanics don't work in timewarp.
You cannot change the context menu controls during timewarp.
You cannot change the ship's course during timewarp.

Bug Fixes & Enhancements
- The D2 Habitat, Lab, Office, CryoShelter, and Greenhouse now have an optional MMOD shield that you can toggle. It is conveniently the same dimensions and shape as the small Hex Hangar.
- Revised the Hex Truss parts to improve rendering performance.
- Revised the K2 frames to improve rendering performance.
- The D2 hex truss crew tubes are now the same size as the regular hex trusses.
- The D2 Adapter has a new End Cap option.
- Increased thrust on the Supernova's Pulsed Plasma mode.
- Hex nodes now support stack symmetry.
- Cruise Control added to the Supernova, Viper, Tesla, and Trinity.

- Deprecated the older versions of the hex trusses. Craft in the field are unaffected. To fix your craft files in the VAB/SPH, you'll need to rename some parts in the craft file. Here's the conversion guide:
Old Name -> New Name
WBI.HexTrussHalf -> wbiHalfHexTruss
WBI.HexTrussQuarter -> wbiQuarterHexTruss
WBI.HexTruss2 -> wbiHexTruss
WBI.HexTrussDouble -> wbiDoubleHexTruss
WBI.HexAdapter2 -> wbiHexAdapter
WBI.HexNode2 -> wbiHexNode
WBI.D2Truss -> wbiD2HexTruss
WBI.D2DoubleTruss -> wbiD2DoubleHexTruss
WBI.D2HalfTruss -> wbiD2HalfHexTruss

Reference Designs
- Nautilus: Inspired by NASA's NAUTILUS-X, this nuclear-powered variant has the fuel to move from low Kerbin orbit to low Duna orbit with fuel to spare. It already comes equipped with two Estonian Duna Landers, each configured deliver a small Pathfinder outpost for extended exploration.
NOTE: Nautilus requires Pathfinder as well as Snacks, KIS/KAS, and CRP.

Acknowledgements
Near Future Props by Nertea, licensed under CC-BY-NC-SA-4.0
Alternate Resource Panel icons courtesy of JadeOfMaar. These look great! :)

congrats on the completion! 

14 hours ago, RedParadize said:

@Angel-125 Hi, I have been trying to add WBICruiseControl to other engine. Somehow, while I do see the Cruise control button it does not seem to activate at all when I warp. Is there any other requirement for it to work?

Edit: Ahhh, you need to be in orbit! didn't realise I was when I tested your engine.
Edit2: Nope, still missing something.
Edit3: I can't seem to make Tesla rocket to work.

There's a bug that'll get fixed in the next few days. I want to give time for things to settle down first. It'll work just fine for engines with multiple engine modes.

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

There's a bug that'll get fixed in the next few days. I want to give time for things to settle down first. It'll work just fine for engines with multiple engine modes.

Yeah i figured something was wrong when i found i could duplicate my problem on your engine. Trying to mod engine almost from start was my error. But i have been looking for a feature like Cruise control feature for so long... 

On the good side it is easily implementable using MM. Its clean and easy to use. There is also some very nice exclusive part My compliment for all that.

On 1/5/2018 at 6:01 PM, Angel-125 said:

- Deprecated the older versions of the hex trusses. Craft in the field are unaffected. To fix your craft files in the VAB/SPH, you'll need to rename some parts in the craft file. Here's the conversion guide:
Old Name -> New Name
WBI.HexTrussHalf -> wbiHalfHexTruss
WBI.HexTrussQuarter -> wbiQuarterHexTruss
WBI.HexTruss2 -> wbiHexTruss
WBI.HexTrussDouble -> wbiDoubleHexTruss
WBI.HexAdapter2 -> wbiHexAdapter
WBI.HexNode2 -> wbiHexNode
WBI.D2Truss -> wbiD2HexTruss
WBI.D2DoubleTruss -> wbiD2DoubleHexTruss
WBI.D2HalfTruss -> wbiD2HalfHexTruss

Um, problem....  "Craft in the field" ARE affected.....  I have/had a space station using 2 of these parts, the WBI.HexNode2 and 1 section of WBI.HexTruss(type unknown--I can't tell which).  I moved the WBI.HexNode2 files over from the old version but that didn't solve the problem.  Maybe you can recognize the parts in these pics and tell me what to do.

Here's a pic of the station.  As you can see, it uses 2 of the nodes as 6-way hubs and 1 section of (unknown) structural truss with crew tube.

36785570663_695f665710_b.jpg

And here are close-ups of the module with the long trusse:

37408041726_e94448b316_h.jpg

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

Um, problem....  "Craft in the field" ARE affected.....  I have/had a space station using 2 of these parts, the WBI.HexNode2 and 1 section of WBI.HexTruss(type unknown--I can't tell which).  I moved the WBI.HexNode2 files over from the old version but that didn't solve the problem.  Maybe you can recognize the parts in these pics and tell me what to do.

Here's a pic of the station.  As you can see, it uses 2 of the nodes as 6-way hubs and 1 section of (unknown) structural truss with crew tube.

And here are close-ups of the module with the long trusses

Thanks!

I lost a base and a couple stations, calling it a good reason to design new ones. It's in a career mode, and the reason seemed to be that since "unresearchable" isn't a node in the tech tree, it doesn't finish loading the part. Luckily, MIA crew members can come back in a day or two with my difficulty settings.

39 minutes ago, Krakatoa said:

I lost a base and a couple stations, calling it a good reason to design new ones. It's in a career mode, and the reason seemed to be that since "unresearchable" isn't a node in the tech tree, it doesn't finish loading the part. Luckily, MIA crew members can come back in a day or two with my difficulty settings.

Yeah it seems that the old method of deprecating parts isn't working anymore. I'm working on a new way but need to do some testing before I can release a patch.

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

Yeah it seems that the old method of deprecating parts isn't working anymore. I'm working on a new way but need to do some testing before I can release a patch.

OK, I can wait.  Thanks for looking into this.

In my case, the station was empty so no casualties, but I was hoping to repurpose it in the near future.

@Angel-125 I got a little error thrown by Module Manger on the last version of DSEV :

[ModuleManager] Error - pass specifier detected on an insert node (not a patch): WildBlueIndustries/DSEV/Templates/Common/TranquilityTemplates/TRANQ:FOR[DSEV]

You'll need to add a "@" so MM understand you modify, and not insert, a node. A few others "@" are also needed to edit the existing variable instead of duplicating them.

This pull request will take care of it.

Edited by Li0n

@Li0n, @Angel-125 I've already posted a reply on the pull request that I don't think this is the correct fix for this MM error.

Here's a copy of my reply for the thread:

In this case there are multiple TRANQ nodes and the intent of the patch is to create a new one for the EL Survey Station.

Since a new node is being created with all fixed values it doesn't matter which pass it is processed on, the correct fix would be to drop the :FOR[DSEV] on line 158 but keep the patch otherwise the same.

@Angel-125 I was trying play with the new Hypernova engine which needs 200K (!) EC in the bank to start.  That's 50 of the biggest stock batteries....  So I figured no problem, I'll just reconfigure a tank into a giant battery.  But I could not find any that would do this.

Am I missing something?  Where else can I store that much juice?

4 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

- Fix for deprecated parts

Yay!  Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

@Angel-125 I was trying play with the new Hypernova engine which needs 200K (!) EC in the bank to start.  That's 50 of the biggest stock batteries....  So I figured no problem, I'll just reconfigure a tank into a giant battery.  But I could not find any that would do this.

Am I missing something?  Where else can I store that much juice?

Yay!  Thanks!

The S.A.F.E.R. and the fusion reactors can supply the power you need. I've fully tested them and they do work, though the Hypernova will take awhile to charge up when using the SAFER. For the battery, take a look at 000WildBlueTools/Templates/Common/Storage/Battery for hints on how to make a battery. In your case, you'll want to replace the BATTERY tag with STORAGE_TEMPLATE

Edited by Angel-125

17 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

DSEV 3.0.0.2 is now available:

- Cruise Control fix for single-mode engines. They still need ModuleEnginesFX though.
- Exhaust plume effect fix for Hypernova in Torch Mode.
- Fix for deprecated parts.
- MM path fixes. Thanks Li0n! :)

so close with the fix for deprecated parts, still loosing anything that has

WBI.HexTrussD2TrussAdapter

thanks for the fixes so fat thow! and the whole thing in general!

5 hours ago, Space Kadet said:

so close with the fix for deprecated parts, still loosing anything that has

WBI.HexTrussD2TrussAdapter

thanks for the fixes so fat thow! and the whole thing in general!

Try DSEV 3.0.0.3:

- Fix for Hex Truss - D2 Truss Adapter
- Collider fix for the Storage Shield

On 1/8/2018 at 1:25 PM, Angel-125 said:

Fix for deprecated parts.

Yup, that worked. Tenkyu tumas!

On an unrelated note, however, the tank decals don't work for any of the D2 hex truss tanks EXCEPT the smallest size.  The "Toggle decals" button is there on the right-click menu, but no decals ever appear on the bigger sizes of tanks, only on the smallest.

1 hour ago, Geschosskopf said:

Yup, that worked. Tenkyu tumas!

On an unrelated note, however, the tank decals don't work for any of the D2 hex truss tanks EXCEPT the smallest size.  The "Toggle decals" button is there on the right-click menu, but no decals ever appear on the bigger sizes of tanks, only on the smallest.

For now I can let that go, I want to let DSEV get settled. Unless there's some major gaff I'll get to in in a few days.

5 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

For now I can let that go, I want to let DSEV get settled. Unless there's some major gaff I'll get to in in a few days.

spent some time trying to break DSEV and it seems to hold up. im still tryin to test the greenhouse with TAC installed (some work and some dont) but ill get you the info when i narrow down the problem

And that huge heat shield rocks! 4000 tonne ship moving at 4 times orbital speed on even and i managed to aerobrake into the eve system :D 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.