[1.0.5 ] KSC Floodlight (24.02.2016)

Divico

QJ1u0no.png

Not quite. This is how it looks on 64K. Those towers are not only a bit east, which it common problem for 64K, but also more apart for some reason.

I've checked that FloodlightKSC.cfg has four different positioning variables for them: RadialPosition, RadiusOffset, RefLatitude and RefLongitude. I think it is possible to make adjusted version of those for rescaled worlds, especially if you know how KerbalKonstructs works. Or adjust them it at random(my case).

Or maybe there is some sort of ingame tool for this?

Edited by KvaNTy

12 hours ago, KvaNTy said:

QJ1u0no.png

Not quite. This is how it looks on 64K. Those towers are not only a bit east, which it common problem for 64K, but also more apart for some reason.

I've checked that FloodlightKSC.cfg has four different positioning variables for them: RadialPosition, RadiusOffset, RefLatitude and RefLongitude. I think it is possible to make adjusted version of those for rescaled worlds, especially if you know how KerbalKonstructs works. Or adjust them it at random(my case).

Use the in-game editing tools of KK. Keep in mind any changes made will be specific to the rescale of the planet. So if you go back to standard scale, the objects will be out of position again.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/23/2016 at 11:57 AM, KvaNTy said:

QJ1u0no.png

Did you ever get this sorted out in 64k, by chance?

On 2/10/2015 at 9:28 AM, Divico said:

KSC Floodlight

Adds 4 Floodlight Towers to the KSC Launchpad.

Click the towers to turn on the light.

OwaNQsx.png

Requires KerbalKonstructs (included).

License

cc-by-nc-sa-4.0

Click the towers to turn the lights on.... I did, nothing.... OK... so click the towers in your game, NOT the photo of the towers in your post...

I know... I love nit picking. :)

• 1 month later...

@Divico It works fine in 1.1 - OP (and Spacedock) ought to be updated.  I added this to KSC++ and it looks great.

Lights do turn on and off as advertised, however it's slowly fades in and out and it's a very subtle effect, which is PERFECT.

• 1 year later...

Confirmed a good work of this mod in 1.3.0.

36bU7gp.png

Seems that mod files is compatible with new KK, download link also working. Need to change just the installation instruction: don't need the copy KerbalKonstruct folder from .zip, need to copy only folder "KSCFloodlight" and have already installed new version of KerbalKonstruct by @Ger_space .

Luck in flight.

• 1 month later...

I've been using this mod for a while now. I don't claim to comprehend how KerbalKonstruct works. Am I not doing something correctly? Clicking on the lights does nothing, although they appear to always be on. They do not actually light up the launchpad. Purely eye candy. Is this normal behavior?

• 2 years later...
On 10/26/2017 at 2:37 PM, Red Shirt said:

I've been using this mod for a while now. I don't claim to comprehend how KerbalKonstruct works. Am I not doing something correctly? Clicking on the lights does nothing, although they appear to always be on. They do not actually light up the launchpad. Purely eye candy. Is this normal behavior?

I seem to remember them working as posted in the OP. I'm assuming at some point post 1.3 the UI updates broke the comparability.  I've been using the floodlights using KK to create some cool looking day launches, but I'd love to figure out a way to get them to light up for night launches. I can't find a single object in KK (I'm a newbie to using it, but I have the most recent 1.9.1 KSC++ installed with all dependencies and haven't found an object that lights up).

PS: Sorry to necro this, but I haven't found a substitute for launchpad lights (aside planting them on launch-clamps) and KK still links here /shrug

1 hour ago, Aerospacer said:

@shoe7ess One click to each mast turns on the lighting. And it still works fine in my 1.9.1 with the new version of KK.

Weird, I get no context menu when I click them in mine, but I'm using a ton of mods, something may be blocking the GUI popup. Thanks for letting me know!

53 minutes ago, shoe7ess said:

Weird, I get no context menu when I click them in mine, but I'm using a ton of mods, something may be blocking the GUI popup. Thanks for letting me know!

No any context menu or GUI popup, just light. It is quite weak though.

I dug up the mod files, but unfortunately did not find a parameter that can change this.

Edited by Aerospacer

On 5/8/2020 at 5:44 PM, Aerospacer said:

No any context menu or GUI popup, just light. It is quite weak though.

I dug up the mod files, but unfortunately did not find a parameter that can change this.

Ah, that's interesting. Mine are so spaced out from the launch pad that I don't see anything in night launches. Maybe if I move them closer it'd show up (the lights themselves look lit, they just don't seem to illuminate anything from what I can see). If the source was somewhere I'm sure the light intensity might be an tweak, could get this thing up to modern times (by that I mean 1969 Apollo times) :D. Thanks for the heads up.

Edited by shoe7ess

1 hour ago, shoe7ess said:

Ah, that's interesting. Mine are so spaced out from the launch pad that I don't see anything in night launches. Maybe if I move them closer it'd show up (the lights themselves look lit, they just don't seem to illuminate anything from what I can see). If the source was somewhere I'm sure the light intensity might be an tweak, could get this thing up to modern times (by that I mean 1969 Apollo times) :D. Thanks for the heads up.

As I found out, after digging a little more in the files, there is an intensity parameter, but it is hidden inside the model file of the lighting mast. To change it, you need to edit the model file, unfortunately I don't have such a skill.

Masts give real lighting, but its rays pass above short craft. To see him, you need a long rocket or observation of a slowly taking off vehicle.

5 hours ago, Aerospacer said:

As I found out, after digging a little more in the files, there is an intensity parameter, but it is hidden inside the model file of the lighting mast. To change it, you need to edit the model file, unfortunately I don't have such a skill.

Masts give real lighting, but its rays pass above short craft. To see him, you need a long rocket or observation of a slowly taking off vehicle.

That or scale them down in the config/KK menu (I have mine at 1.5 forgetting how big even a 20m craft it's hilarious, the towers are I thnk 700m tall lmao)... I know I still have .dds edting tools on this PC, I believe I have what I need for editing .mu files. I'll take a look a little later. Nice find man.

HUh... I also just installed this, and clicking the lights does not switch them... Too bad, cuz i might be able to up the intensity in the models...
Would be nice if this whole mod got an update... ie add in a UI, so the intensity would be adjustable... or at least add a slider for it to the PAW...
but thats *coding*, and that voodoo-magic is out of my wheel house, for sure... lol

34 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

I also just installed this, and clicking the lights does not switch them... Too bad, cuz i might be able to up the intensity in the models...
Would be nice if this whole mod got an update... ie add in a UI, so the intensity would be adjustable... or at least add a slider for it to the PAW...
but thats *coding*, and that voodoo-magic is out of my wheel house, for sure... lol

The lights look constantly lit, but the light from them is actually switched by the left mouse button, this can be seen by lighting the ground around the launch pad. Checked it in 1.9.1.

If you can actually edit .mu files, can you see how the intensity parameter is indicated inside the model?

5 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I forget the name right now, but I recently  adopted a floodlight mod.

Ah. Found it.  It's called Tracking Lights

I've actually been following that mod (the original, I had no idea you had adopted it so I checked it out).  I love it, and I've added it as "separate" way of doing what this mod did, but I think the idea here (can't speak for anyone else) is to get it integrated as an instance on the launchpad by default. If there was a way to make the spotlights work as a KK object it would be perfect, just to help keep down the part count (like if attached to a launch clamp) or having multiple vessels loaded on the launchpad (if using some mobile "lighting truck/sign").
BTW for those interested, the floodlight mod is pretty amazing (plugging your adoption LGG, it's amazing), you can get that here: 

In the meantime, since I can't find the author's source code anywhere, I'll attempt to use blender and dabble with the model file. If anything comes of it I'll check out license and see if I can redistribute an updated .mu. If I'm able to I tinker with it and get the intensity a little stronger and post a download link I'll update this post in the next few hours. Also, the left-click action is an action in the KK module within the config file (I have no idea what actions work within the object modules by default for KK objects, but the right-click PAW GUI module isn't difficult to integrate into parts themselves, so maybe there's an easier method of switching out the "AnimateOnClick" action without the source?).

Edit:

Unfortunately I haven't found a way to make light intensity changes without the source code. I sent a message to Divico, asking if he can update this thread with a link to the source (or a PM'ed link if he still has it readily available).I am in no way promising I can recompile something like this anytime soon (I'm not a programmer, I'm more of a tweaker; I can do MM patches or edit .dds/.cfg files for days), but recompiling script for KSP is something I've only dabbled in. 

In the meantime, I'd take advantage of LGG's adopted tracking lights mod. My hope is to get this updated (PAW GUI + Intensity/RGB slider) if possible, but Tracking Lights is a great alternative if you don't mind the light being a part piece as opposed to a KK object. I'll update if I can get in contact with the mod author.

Edited by shoe7ess
syntax/updated info

15 hours ago, Aerospacer said:

The lights look constantly lit, but the light from them is actually switched by the left mouse button, this can be seen by lighting the ground around the launch pad. Checked it in 1.9.1.

Yes, I know. I know how emissives and actual light sources work in Unity/KSP. ;)
And when I mean they dont switch on/off, its NOT just the emissive... I do mean the actual *light* hitting the ground and around the edge of the pad. :(

Yes, the intensity setting for the light source should be in the .mu...  There are ways to actively change it, via code or plugin.
In *this* instance,  since this is a KK static, something *might* be able to be tweaked in the .cfg to adjust the intensity. But I dont know... I tried once to update an old original KerbinSide static to KK/KSM 1.8.1... it went badly :P

Edited by Stone Blue

So, i just got contacted by @Divico, (THANX, Divico ;) )and got the blessing to go ahead and adopt the mod, if I can get it working. Also got the all important original model source file ;)
I just spent the morning going thru the model, and poking the config.
Did make some progress, but seem to have a little issue with the triggered collider, that I am in contact with Taniwha about, since he is the Blender/Mu master ;)

Edited by Stone Blue

So... I have everything seemingly working in-game, *except* the AnimateOnClick module, which lets you activate the light manually by, you guessed it, clicking on it...

I *do* have it turning on/off properly with the AnimateOnSunRise module, tho... so, as it sounds, it automatically comes on when sun goes down, off when sun comes up... (the module is deactivated for testing, in those below pics)

I also can adjust the cone angle and brightness in the model... unfortunately, that means its a hard-setting :(

I was having trouble determining if it was even working with the incremental changes I was making (having the stock light tower throwing light, didnt help :( ); so I kinda went overboard (for testing purposes only, of course)  :P

kykjCqb.pngBE96sJn.png

I think I'll narrow the cone quite a bit... I already narrowed it to 60°, think I'll try 45°... mebbe 30° vOv

Edited by Stone Blue

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.