[1.0.5 ] KSC Floodlight (24.02.2016)

Divico

1 hour ago, Stone Blue said:

I also can adjust the cone angle and brightness in the model... unfortunately, that means its a hard-setting

If it is not possible to adjust the light intensity through the config, you can make 4-5 models with different intensities.

Well, looks like I got everything in working order, *except* the light lens emissive animation.
I got the intensity bumped up from 1 (barely on par with the stock water tower light on the left), to 5....
this should be bright enuff vOv
Now to build a tallll rockit, to test that the cone angle/radius is sufficient.
tv0reB8.png

EDIT: Above is 35° cone angle, 82° down-angle...
Below is 47.5° cone angle, 86° down-angle...
(those are 7.5m parts :P )
I'd call it good?... vOv

hXU4I5A.png

Edited by Stone Blue

So, I was *finally* able to finish this up, get a release out for it:

https://github.com/StoneBlue/KSC-Floodlights/releases

I *DID* remove the copy of KerbalKonstructs from the package, tho, so you'll have to grab/install that seperately.

Good to go for KSP 1.9.1/1.8.0+ .... *Should* also be backward compatable to at least 1.4.0? vOv
If anyone can confirm it does work, or that it doesnt, back *anywhere* past 1.8.0, please LMK, and I will note that in the README. ;)

Also, dangit, i forgot to mention in the README, that the click-to-turn on/off, is a bit whacky with the automatic sunrise/sunset activated. It all still works, but you may have to click-wait a few seconds, or even try a quick dbl-click.

Thanx!

And THANK YOU again, @Divico, for giving me your blessing for it. ;) Also, if you want to upload this to the SpaceDock listing, thats fine with me, or if you want to add me as a contributor on the listing, and I'll do it, thats easy to setup.

Also, @shoe7ess, didnt mean to step on your toes. I have a bunch of other projects on my plate that now have higher priority, so I probably wouldnt be adding any additional lights to this mod (hence, why I didnt do a seperate release thread.) I *was* going to add in the other light towers from Divico's Kosmodrome mod, but I see Someone Else™ recently updated *that* mod... :P
So, @shoe7ess, if you want to pick this up, and try modellling some moar towers/lights/stuff for it, *I* wouldnt have a problem with you taking what I released and running with it, if Divico is ok with it.

Edited by Stone Blue

On 5/24/2020 at 11:09 PM, Stone Blue said:

I *DID* remove the copy of KerbalKonstructs from the package, tho, so you'll have to grab/install that seperately.

Good to go for KSP 1.9.1/1.8.0+ .... *Should* also be backward compatable to at least 1.4.0? vOv
If anyone can confirm it does work, or that it doesnt, back *anywhere* past 1.8.0, please LMK, and I will note that in the README. ;)

Also, dangit, i forgot to mention in the README, that the click-to-turn on/off, is a bit whacky with the automatic sunrise/sunset activated. It all still works, but you may have to click-wait a few seconds, or even try a quick dbl-click.

Thanx!

And THANK YOU again, @Divico, for giving me your blessing for it. ;) Also, if you want to upload this to the SpaceDock listing, thats fine with me, or if you want to add me as a contributor on the listing, and I'll do it, thats easy to setup.

Also, @shoe7ess, didnt mean to step on your toes. I have a bunch of other projects on my plate that now have higher priority, so I probably wouldnt be adding any additional lights to this mod (hence, why I didnt do a seperate release thread.) I *was* going to add in the other light towers from Divico's Kosmodrome mod, but I see Someone Else™ recently updated *that* mod... :P
So, @shoe7ess, if you want to pick this up, and try modellling some moar towers/lights/stuff for it, *I* wouldnt have a problem with you taking what I released and running with it, if Divico is ok with it.

I appreciate the gesture, but honestly you got more done than I would have by now. I live in NJ and we finally started to get back to work this last 2 weeks so I'm glad you were able to take up the mantle. I can't wait to test out the updated floodlights :)

@shoe7ess Glad to hear your working again. ;)

Well, if you decide you want to try modding, making some new light towers would be a pretty good first project.

When I was doing this, the models are pretty basic geometry, to where you can model small sections, then just duplicate a lot of it.

The colliders are very easy and basic.
I noticed the textures were very simple, but effective, and the UV mapping was also simple. (didnt have to mess with that either)

I *DID* learn a lot about modelling source lights, and combining animations.

I also recently started using a different 3D modelling program, so it was also a good excersize in learning to use BforArtists. Its a fork of Blender, and under the hood it is *exactly* Blender... just with a different type of UI. An elegant modelling program, for a moar civilized workflow... :P
A simple, moar mouse/icons/menu based UI, than Blender's complicated keymapping, with duplicate, triplicate, and quadruplicate ways of doing the same thing cluttering the UI.

I also was able to completely do *everything* in BforArtists. I did *NOT* have to open Unity a single time. Taniwha's Mu Importer in Blender/BforArtists, can do a HUGE amount of what Unity/KSP PartTools does... and that is awesome, since Unity and PartTools can be a huge pain in the butt a good part of the time.

Also, I learned how to create the config files for Kerbal Konstructs statics... I guess NOT too hard, once you dig into some examples, even tho they can seem a bit overwhelming at first.

Edited by Stone Blue

2 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

@shoe7ess Glad to hear your working again. ;)

Well, if you decide you want to try modding, making some new light towers would be a pretty good first project.

When I was doing this, the models are pretty basic geometry, to where you can model small sections, then just duplicate a lot of it.

The colliders are very easy and basic.
I noticed the textures were very simple, but effective, and the UV mapping was also simple. (didnt have to mess with that either)

I *DID* learn a lot about modelling source lights, and combining animations.

I also recently started using a different 3D modelling program, so it was also a good excersize in learning to use BforArtists. Its a fork of Blender, and under the hood it is *exactly* Blender... just with a different type of UI. An elegant modelling program, for a moar civilized workflow... :P
A simple, moar mouse/icons/menu based UI, than Blender's complicated keymapping, with duplicate, triplicate, and quadruplicate ways of doing the same thing cluttering the UI.

I also was able to completely do *everything* in BforArtists. I did *NOT* have to open Unity a single time. Taniwha's Mu Importer in Blender/BforArtists, can do a HUGE amount of what Unity/KSP PartTools does... and that is awesome, since Unity and PartTools can be a huge pain in the butt a good part of the time.

Also, I learned how to create the config files for Kerbal Konstructs statics... I guess NOT too hard, once you dig into some examples, even tho they can seem a bit overwhelming at first.

Great info! 
I’m getting close to dipping my toe in these waters and this the first time I’ve heard of BforArtists. Do you have any links to resources for getting it setup?

21 hours ago, Nightside said:

Great info! 
I’m getting close to dipping my toe in these waters and this the first time I’ve heard of BforArtists. Do you have any links to resources for getting it setup?

Here you are:

Blender Link (If you prefer Blender)

.mu import/export for Blender (Instructions are pretty easy to follow in the OP) (for important .mu files into either Blender or BfA)

BforArtists Download Page (as it says on the front page, BfA is just a fork of Blender, so it's pretty much Blender++ ;) )

As for resources, I'd suggest picking up the source (almost always available on the more common known mods) of a part-heavy mod and checking out those models, and maybe even use some as a template or jump-off point.

Good luck!

Also, it looks amazing Stone Blue!!! (That's the BDB Mercury Redstone on the launchpad, I may edit my statics from 0.75x to 0.5x, gotta check out the Saturn V first though ;) )

77XBeM7.jpg

Edited by shoe7ess
clarification/screenshot

21 hours ago, shoe7ess said:

Also, it looks amazing Stone Blue!!! (That's the BDB Mercury Redstone on the launchpad, I may edit my statics from 0.75x to 0.5x, gotta check out the Saturn V first though ;) )

Noice!
Hey, what is that unlighted tower on the right, from?

Yeah... scale of 1.0 seemed REALLY tall for stock craft, especially early career... I also didnt want to make them *too* small for *TALL* craft... for those peeps using some of the great large part mod packs that are out there, so I didnt want to go *too* small either... Figured 0.7 was a good starting point. Especially since its so easy to change in the KK Instance UI.
I played with scale, and couldnt get a good overall light pattern for short *and* tall craft... so thats why I added a second light source, pointed just a few degrees down from horizontal. The top light source *should* light up anything up to maybe 120~150m tall, while the bottom one handles the ground, (just short of the edge of the pad), up to around 100m.

If anyone uses this, and finds the lighting doesnt do justice for their builds, just PM me, and I should be able to tweak the light cone angles/sizes, or maybe just make a duplicate tower with different settings as a seperate static.
Theres also an alternate color scheme texture someone made, thats included, but currently not used. *That, should* be able to be switched thru a simple edit to the model cfg. Unfortunately, B9 PartSwitch doesnt currently support statics, or I could have possibly made the light cones/angles, textures, and maybe other stuff easily switchable by users *in-game*, like you can do with parts. :(

Peopple *should* note, that, IIRC, when you edit an instance, tho, the "Enable colliders" checkbox defaults to *off* ... If you make edits, you *HAVE* to make sure the colliders are enabled, if you want the click-to-switch on/off functionality.... Or you can just let the AnimateOnSunrise module handle the switching at sunset/sunrise, *ONLY*... vOv

Edited by Stone Blue

On 5/28/2020 at 9:12 AM, Stone Blue said:

Noice!
Hey, what is that unlighted tower on the right, from?

Yeah... scale of 1.0 seemed REALLY tall for stock craft, especially early career... I also didnt want to make them *too* small for *TALL* craft... for those peeps using some of the great large part mod packs that are out there, so I didnt want to go *too* small either... Figured 0.7 was a good starting point. Especially since its so easy to change in the KK Instance UI.
I played with scale, and couldnt get a good overall light pattern for short *and* tall craft... so thats why I added a second light source, pointed just a few degrees down from horizontal. The top light source *should* light up anything up to maybe 120~150m tall, while the bottom one handles the ground, (just short of the edge of the pad), up to around 100m.

If anyone uses this, and finds the lighting doesnt do justice for their builds, just PM me, and I should be able to tweak the light cone angles/sizes, or maybe just make a duplicate tower with different settings as a seperate static.
Theres also an alternate color scheme texture someone made, thats included, but currently not used. *That, should* be able to be switched thru a simple edit to the model cfg. Unfortunately, B9 PartSwitch doesnt currently support statics, or I could have possibly made the light cones/angles, textures, and maybe other stuff easily switchable by users *in-game*, like you can do with parts. :(

Peopple *should* note, that, IIRC, when you edit an instance, tho, the "Enable colliders" checkbox defaults to *off* ... If you make edits, you *HAVE* to make sure the colliders are enabled, if you want the click-to-switch on/off functionality.... Or you can just let the AnimateOnSunrise module handle the switching at sunset/sunrise, *ONLY*... vOv

That's my additions to the OP KSC Launchpad. I added a few more fuel tanks, a (static) fuel truck parked to the left, and the large tower is actually the static weather tower from KSC++ (or one of its' dependencies). I also added the new floodlights at 0.2x scale to the Mercury launchpad (LC-5), as that has a built in static launch tower I believe so it fits in nicely. I also found that using the in-game KK control panel allows for pretty decent control of cone-angle (either by scaling, pitching, or just moving them further from the launchpad).

For the alternate texture you mentioned, a separate config file for another model could be a start, at least then it'd get added to the base KK statics, and be available to via in-game editor.

Edited by shoe7ess

On 5/30/2020 at 9:23 AM, shoe7ess said:

That's my additions to the OP KSC Launchpad. I added a few more fuel tanks, a (static) fuel truck parked to the left, and the large tower is actually the static weather tower from KSC++ (or one of its' dependencies). I also added the new floodlights at 0.2x scale to the Mercury launchpad (LC-5), as that has a built in static launch tower I believe so it fits in nicely. I also found that using the in-game KK control panel allows for pretty decent control of cone-angle (either by scaling, pitching, or just moving them further from the launchpad).

For the alternate texture you mentioned, a separate config file for another model could be a start, at least then it'd get added to the base KK statics, and be available to via in-game editor.

For those interested here are the steps for creating a KK object for the alternate floodlight texture using the files included in the download.

1. Create a copy of KSCFL_Tower01 in the same sub-directory and rename it to KSCFL_Tower02
  2. Delete KSCFL_Tower01_DIF.dds and KSCFL_Tower01_Instances.cfg
  3. Rename KSCFL_Tower01.mu to KSCFL_Tower02.mu and KSCFL_TowerAlt_DIF.dds to KSCFL_Tower01_DIF.dds
  4. Edit KSCFL_Tower02_Model.cfg and replace the contents with the text within the code block below:
// This config will add another floodlight static to be used in game with the alt texture
STATIC
{
	name = KSCFLTower02
	author = Divico; modified by Stone Blue

//	MODEL
//	{
//		model = KSCFloodlight/Assets/KSCFL_Tower01
//	}
	mesh = KSCFL_Tower02.mu

title = KSC Floodlight Tower Type 02
	category = Lights
	manufacturer = The Chief Designer's Bureau.
	description = Alternate Floodlights for KSC launch pad
	cost = 10000
	DefaultFacilityType = Infrastructure, Electrical
	impactThreshold = 1000
	keepConvex = True
	isSquad = False
	isHidden = False

MODULE
	{
		namespace = KerbalKonstructs
		name = AnimateOnClick
		collider = KSCFLT01Tower
		animationName = KSCFLT01
	}

MODULE
	{
		namespace = KerbalKonstructs
		name = AnimateOnSunRise
		animationName = KSCFLT01
		reverseAnimation = False //True
		timeWarpAnimation = True
		mathHorizontalAngle = True
		horizonAngleOffset = 35
		delayLowTimeWarp = 2f
		delayHighTimeWarp = .1f
	}
}

If you would like, you can repeat the process, naming it KSCFL_Tower03 and onwards with different DIF textures, if you know how to edit .dds files (there are multiple plugins for Photoshop that allow you to edit and export any type of .dds image) you can add as many variations as you'd like. I created my own alt texture (replaced the red with the blue so it resembles Space-X's color scheme), you can download it from my github here if you'd like.

@Stone Blue if you'd like, I can zip up the mod with this added folder and send it your way if you'd like or if you give permission I can host the folder from the above steps for any folks interested.

Edited by shoe7ess

• 2 months later...
On 5/25/2020 at 11:09 AM, Stone Blue said:

Thanx!

So, @shoe7ess, if you wan

Well Thank You For The Release!

2020-08-06.png

It Works!

• 3 months later...
On 12/2/2020 at 8:01 AM, flart said:

@HebaruSan there is a fork of this cool mod in the https://github.com/StoneBlue/KSC-Floodlights/releases
could you add it to the CKAN?

Flart, Thanx for the interest in This mod :)

I've actually been poking this again, this past week. I'm trying to mae some small cosmetic improvements. Also, been trying it out in JNSQ and JadeOfMaar's JNSQ bases stuff.
I might make another version of the tower for use in scaled up systems. I'm not sure I lie the light pattern and beam angles/spread, even when the towers are scaled up.. so i Might make a version that just brighter, and better angled source lights.

Also been researching street lamps and searchlight-type lights to add to the mod.

If I get either of the two things done above, and it seems ready for a solid release, i will be adding a SpaceDoc listing, and then adding it to CKAN as well. I should probably also mae a new release thread on the forum, too... vOv
I also need to mae sure there will be no conflict with the version of this mod, that is pacaged and ships *deep* within Galileo's Planet Pack.

On 6/5/2020 at 7:15 PM, shoe7ess said:

...you can download it from my github here if you'd like.

@Stone Blue if you'd like, I can zip up the mod with this added folder and send it your way if you'd like or if you give permission I can host the folder from the above steps for any folks interested.

@shoe7ess, would you mind if i included your alternate texture in my release? I'm looking at making changes to the current texture, so i would have to mebbe tweak yours too, but I would definately credit you with it.
Also, if you dont mind, I could include your instructions on how people could add moar textures of their own, if they wish... vOv

Edited by Stone Blue

• 9 months later...

Just started poking around with these--pretty fun, and an interestingly missing aspect of the game where night launches *should* be a cool thing to perform. ;)

I'll need to edit the towers group to match the new coordinates for KSC in JNSQ, I assume?

I'm also wondering if it's me using TUFX or Scatterer, etc., but the lights totally blow out the scene. I'm afraid my poor rockets are getting cooked! Lower-intensity lights could be useful for that.

Also, weirdly, the rectangular boundaries of the ground scorchmark decals surrounding the launch pad itself were showing up. I'm a jerk for not taking a screenshot before quitting the game, but I'm assuming it's also related to TUFX/additional graphical layers going on, just being exposed by the new light sources.

2 hours ago, Beetlecat said:

I'll need to edit the towers group to match the new coordinates for KSC in JNSQ, I assume?

Yes?... i didnt test with any planet packs...Just a Stock game on Kerbin.
I would think, you could use the KK editing UI, to place these where ever you want, instead of having to guess coords and editing configs.

As to the brightness, yeah... That was a PAIN to get decent light levels, without blowing out the scene. I dont know if KSP somehow addresses light intensities differently than setting them on the game objects directly in Unity, and/or Blender/BforArtists. IIRC, I tried both Unity & BFA, and KSP always had them end up WAYYY brighter.
Screenshots would be best bet, for me to look into it.
However, I havent done ANYTHING KSP related since last spring, and it will be at least a couple moar months before that time of year allows me to get back into KSP. :(

Heh -- yeah. I could of course just spawn in a new set of lights, but I didn't want to abandon the old random set of towers somewhere... cold and all alone on that strange JNSQ Kerbin...

I figured out the general coordinates for the Kerbinside runway upgrades previously, so I'll post some coordinates back in here once I get the lights in place (or even better, figure out an MM patch to move them for JNSQ users).

jinkies! i've been using this mod since last year, placing the floodlights along with other KK statics, and I didn't even realize that it comes with instances. Since I'm on KSRSS, I'm fairly confident they're not doing anything, but out of paranoia for what KK might be doing with those errors I've renameleted the two configs in question.

As a suggestion, if you're ever messing around with the folder structure, maybe creating an Instances folder would be a good idea? Not a big deal obvs.

21 hours ago, Beetlecat said:

Heh -- yeah. I could of course just spawn in a new set of lights, but I didn't want to abandon the old random set of towers somewhere... cold and all alone on that strange JNSQ Kerbin...

I figured out the general coordinates for the Kerbinside runway upgrades previously, so I'll post some coordinates back in here once I get the lights in place (or even better, figure out an MM patch to move them for JNSQ users).

If you'd like to simply put those sad, lost KSC lights out of their misery, this MM patch should do the trick: 

//Remove instances on Kerbin from KSC Floodlight
@STATIC:HAS[#mesh[FloodlightKSC.mu]]:NEEDS[KSCFloodlight]:FINAL
{
	-Instances,*{}
}

• 7 months later...
On 9/29/2021 at 1:32 PM, Stone Blue said:

Yes?... i didnt test with any planet packs...Just a Stock game on Kerbin.
I would think, you could use the KK editing UI, to place these where ever you want, instead of having to guess coords and editing configs.

As to the brightness, yeah... That was a PAIN to get decent light levels, without blowing out the scene. I dont know if KSP somehow addresses light intensities differently than setting them on the game objects directly in Unity, and/or Blender/BforArtists. IIRC, I tried both Unity & BFA, and KSP always had them end up WAYYY brighter.
Screenshots would be best bet, for me to look into it.
However, I havent done ANYTHING KSP related since last spring, and it will be at least a couple moar months before that time of year allows me to get back into KSP. :(

Okay -- had a free evening and fired up blender to see if I could attempt to tweak them myself, but I'm not well-versed enough to figure it out, apparently. :D

I've gotten the .mu imported, but each of the light sources seems to be set to power 0, so there must be an animation component that sets the on and off power values?

6 hours ago, Beetlecat said:

Okay -- had a free evening and fired up blender to see if I could attempt to tweak them myself, but I'm not well-versed enough to figure it out, apparently. :D

I've gotten the .mu imported, but each of the light sources seems to be set to power 0, so there must be an animation component that sets the on and off power values?

Yes. Are you using the most current Blender Mu Importer? Taniwha just did a few updates a couple weeks ago.. not sure if the updates are related to importing animations, tho.

If the animation is not there, its a very easy animation to do in Blender. Basically, you have your Object Properties widow open, go to the Anim tab.
Set the power at "0", and click the little dot next to the selection box, insert a keyframe @ 1, with all the objects you want to animate selected. Then go to, say frame 60, set the power to max power you want, clic the little dot again, insert keyframes. Thats pretty much it, IIRC.

4 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

Yes. Are you using the most current Blender Mu Importer? Taniwha just did a few updates a couple weeks ago.. not sure if the updates are related to importing animations, tho.

If the animation is not there, its a very easy animation to do in Blender. Basically, you have your Object Properties widow open, go to the Anim tab.
Set the power at "0", and click the little dot next to the selection box, insert a keyframe @ 1, with all the objects you want to animate selected. Then go to, say frame 60, set the power to max power you want, clic the little dot again, insert keyframes. Thats pretty much it, IIRC.

Oh, I for sure do not have a recent version of that importer -- that's stop #1! :D

Okay -- I figured I would share some fiddling I've done with the .mu in Blender in case people are also noticing some over-lit scenes based on TUFX or other processing they have active in-game:

Spoiler

Beforeunknown.png?width=472&height=583

After (decreased "on" values by 50%): unknown.png?width=417&height=583

I may walk them back a little more to create room to add additional deliberate bloom effects, but this feels like a good starting point.

Love these light towers and night launches! :D

Edited by Beetlecat

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.