Sign in to follow this  
Ethanadams

What is the most dangerous chemical that you know about

Recommended Posts

Just a the title said what is the most dangerous Chemical you know of?

i couple I know would be chlorine trifloride

azidoazide azide "Take azidoazide azide, for example, which is extremely reactive and explosive. Simply exposing it to bright light, touching it, or “absolutely nothing†can make it blow your head off. A team of scientists had it stored in a shock-proof explosive case, and it still exploded."

do do you know any other dangerous chemicals?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I forgot what it was made of, but I know that the Russians used it religiously in their rockets as fuel: Devil's Venom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
In terms of number of people killed, dihydrogen monoxide is probably top!

Well, drinking that stuff in it's purest possible form can actually kill you easily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
In terms of number of people killed, dihydrogen monoxide is probably top!
Well, drinking that stuff in it's purest possible form can actually kill you easily.

DHMO is nasty stuff. Inhaling it is most often lethal. It can cause serious burns and it messes with electrical systems.

All rivers and lakes contain high concentrations and nearly all food items are contaminated with it. Worst of it all governments worldwide are refusing to ban it despite the dangers. Instead they are stockpiling it in purified form.

Hydrogen fluoride, HF and hydrogen peroxide, H2O2 also score pretty darn high. They're relatively easy to come by and can do some serious nasty damage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethylmercury

That thing's a death sentence - even if you spill only a few drops on your latex glove. (The thing can pass through latex and various plastics then through your skin - and you end up with a nasty case of mercury poisoning afterwards)

Also, Most variants of botulic toxins can be deadly at only a few nanograms because of the paralysis it induces.

Though you can still be saved if you are put under life support (artificial respiration etc) for the time it takes for your body to eliminate the toxin)

Else, There's a website explaining DHMO dangers :) no need to list all of them :)

http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

Edited by sgt_flyer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DMSO+cyanide solution, used to very quickly stop respiration in certain biology experiments, as DMSO helps cyanide ions to cross various biological membranes very quickly without damaging them. Problem is, that includes human skin...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dangerous...to what? Human beings? Life forms? Everything?

Some explosive stuff can be dangerous for a lot of things. But poisons are mostly dangerous to biological life forms only.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anti-Hydrogen, aside of that Chlorine Trifluoride.

"so rapidly hypergolic that no ignition delay has ever been measured. It is also hypergolic with such things as cloth, wood, and test engineers, not to mention asbestos, sand, and water  with which it reacts explosively."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About half of these examples were from Things I Won't Work With, but only one person bothered to cite it. Come on, just say 'Anything on this site' and be done with it. Don't seemingly pull quotes from the Aether!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Anti-Hydrogen, aside of that Chlorine Trifluoride.

"so rapidly hypergolic that no ignition delay has ever been measured. It is also hypergolic with such things as cloth, wood, and test engineers, not to mention asbestos, sand, and water  with which it reacts explosively."

I really like that part of the quote. Hypergolic with test engineers. I wonder what the test engineers feel about that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oxygen is high on the list. It corrodes most things it comes into contact with and even leads to full on combustion. If we would not need it, it would probably be best to stay far from it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm cyanide is pretty nasty. CN takes the spot of the O2 in the hemoglobin and in respiration process. A few centigrams aaaand you're out forever. Probably not the nastiest, but good luck surviving it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

most rocket fuel

nitroglycerin

anthrax

mustard gas

chlorine gas

tear gas in concentrated forms

sarin

to name a few

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nickel Carbonyl Ni(CO)4

Basically the most toxic inorganic compound there is. Its LC50 in humans is only 30 parts per million in the atmosphere, causing death within 30 minutes.

Its also a highly volatile liquid, so be incredibly careful around it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Deadly Radioisotopes :

Plutonium 239 (2.3E+9 Bq/g - 24ky) - Alpha and Gamma Rays, Neutron

Curium 245 (6.3E+9 Bq/g - 8.6ky)- Alpha and Gamma Rays, Neutron

Cesium 137 (3.2E+12 Bq/g - 30y)- Beta and Gamma Rays

Iodine 131 (4.6E+15 Bq/g - 8.2d)- Beta and Gamma Rays

Strontium 90 (5.1E+12 Bq/g - 29y)- Beta and Gamma Rays

And many others...

ALL of them are artificially produced and found in nuclear wastes.

Edited by xebx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this