[WIP] The Martian Ares Rover

-ctn-

Here is where I'm at now:

VUUOG4Z.jpg

Please ignore the ugly seam down the middle. I still have the Mirror modifier on in Blender and just did a quick pass on the texture.

The cabin seems pretty plain, not sure what to add to it texture-wise without straying too far from source material. The textures definitely aren't done, once I get the parts in-game and working, I'll spend a bit more time on them to make everything look pretty.

http://i.imgur.com/VUUOG4Z.jpg

Please ignore the ugly seam down the middle. I still have the Mirror modifier on in Blender and just did a quick pass on the texture.

The cabin seems pretty plain, not sure what to add to it texture-wise without straying too far from source material. The textures definitely aren't done, once I get the parts in-game and working, I'll spend a bit more time on them to make everything look pretty.

Would be happy to test this out.

http://i.imgur.com/VUUOG4Z.jpg

This mod seems to be coming along nicely, I'm looking forward to when it's usable in-game :) Also, Apologies for just appearing out of the blue, Just wanted to leave some feedback.

I'm glad everyone loves it! Unfortunately AO baking is a headache, as I UV wrapped a lot of places to use the same texture space, to save texture size. This results in z-fighting on the AO image. So it has to be done by hand (as far as I know). I assume some shading here and there on the cabin will liven it up a bit.

That looks great! I'd love to have more stock-alike wheels.

The wheels are the same size as the TR-2L wheels. The idea being that people can use these for film accurate rovers with wider suspension or use the stock wheels for a stock-alike look with tighter suspension.

Looks really nice but I think the windows are a little too green in colour. Stock windows (on the mk2/3 cockpits anyway) tend to be around hex #526b75 with a bit of shading around the borders and brighter in the middle.

That's brilliant - thanks for sharing the hex code!!! I used the eye dropper tool but it still looked off.

1UL5sgp.jpg

Just a small update on the texture before I head off to bed. Added some shading and detailed the paneling on the cabin, fixed a lot of the window issues (including color) although I don't think I got the bright spots right yet. Still the ugly seam because the actual mesh isn't "welded" yet, it's just mirrored.

I think it looks better! The only thing that is messing me up: on the film rover, there is lettering under the side door window, (2801-R1) and on the back near the hatch (R2). Unfortunately, because I mirrored the texture from one side to the other, any writing would appear backwards. Any thoughts on how to get around that? Or should I just leave those decals off? I plan to add a flagTransform on the side, so it will display the mission flag.

Looking good! Tone down the window bright spots a little. The seam looks like it could be a texture issue rather than a mirror modifier one; make sure you have a margin of 4-8px around the each bit of texturing you do (I'm guessing the texture's background colour is black?) or you can get seams like that.

http://i.imgur.com/1UL5sgp.jpg

Just a small update on the texture before I head off to bed. Added some shading and detailed the paneling on the cabin, fixed a lot of the window issues (including color) although I don't think I got the bright spots right yet. Still the ugly seam because the actual mesh isn't "welded" yet, it's just mirrored.

I think it looks better! The only thing that is messing me up: on the film rover, there is lettering under the side door window, (2801-R1) and on the back near the hatch (R2). Unfortunately, because I mirrored the texture from one side to the other, any writing would appear backwards. Any thoughts on how to get around that? Or should I just leave those decals off? I plan to add a flagTransform on the side, so it will display the mission flag.

I think that for a KSP recration there's no need for the letters under the side door window. Normal mission flag is ok

The seam looks like it could be a texture issue rather than a mirror modifier one; make sure you have a margin of 4-8px around the each bit of texturing you do (I'm guessing the texture's background colour is black?) or you can get seams like that.

The background is the same gray/white, however I think the little bit of AO used in the cabin is causing the color jump or something. I'll have to take a closer look later.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey ctn,

I don't have anything to add here other than encouragement... I didn't want you to think nobody was curious about this mod since there hasn't been any posts in over a week.

I hope all is going well and you overcome the wheel issues, I'm patiently awaiting the day I can play with this cool rover :)

Good luck!

max

Sorry for the lull in content, I've also been redesigning stuff for my short film, A.A.T.L.A.S..

The wheels have been giving me lots of trouble, but I hope to get the custom colliders done for the flatbeds and the battery box's solar panels to work by the end of the week. If I'm lucky, maybe even the cabin too. Then I'll revisit the wheels.

Alright everyone, I got the main flatbed working in-game, custom colliders and all. Looks like it works perfectly. The battery is a different story. It attaches correctly and the collider is right, but it doesn't generate electricity. I tried to use the solar panel module from the OX-STAT panels. I'll upload the bit of code and maybe someone can help me out. I have the suncatcher transform with the Z+ pointing "up." Do the raycastTransforms use a different vector? And how do I get rid of it saying "Extend/Retract?"

SdP2zbl.pngz0LXF6Z.png

MODULE	{
name = ModuleDeployableSolarPanel
sunTracking = false
raycastTransformName = suncatcher
isBreakable = false
resourceName = ElectricCharge
chargeRate = 4.2
}

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.