[WIP] The Martian Ares Rover

-ctn-

Alright everyone, I got the main flatbed working in-game, custom colliders and all. Looks like it works perfectly. The battery is a different story. It attaches correctly and the collider is right, but it doesn't generate electricity. I tried to use the solar panel module from the OX-STAT panels. I'll upload the bit of code and maybe someone can help me out. I have the suncatcher transform with the Z+ pointing "up." Do the raycastTransforms use a different vector? And how do I get rid of it saying "Extend/Retract?"

http://i.imgur.com/SdP2zbl.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/z0LXF6Z.png

MODULE	{
name = ModuleDeployableSolarPanel
sunTracking = false
raycastTransformName = suncatcher
isBreakable = false
resourceName = ElectricCharge
chargeRate = 4.2
}

Looking at the stock one looks like you have it just one thing missing is pivotName = ****

MODULE
{
sunTracking = false
pivotName = suncatcher
isBreakable = false
chargeRate = 0.35
}

Don't know if it would help.

Yup, that did the trick. Added it in and tweaked the model in unity a little bit.

Also added in the trailer and did the colliders for the cockpit, but I want to mess with those more before uploading photos.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
7 hours ago, njmksr said:

Totally willing to test this when it's ready for use. :cool:

Yeah, well, I'd bet that most of us feel the same way.  Unfortunately it looks like this 'mod' can join Konquest mod and anything by BobCat, to name a few, in the pantheon of 'vaporware' mods that are (and forever will be) in perpetual 'development'.

Which, you know, that's the way the cookie crumbles. If the developer lost interest, or life intervened in some way so that he/she no longer has the time or energy to devote to working on this mod or even messing with KSP at all, then that's life, I guess.

I do hope that this Rover does get completed someday, sooner rather than later.  But I won't be holding my breath, that's all I'm saying.  :rolleyes:

15 hours ago, Neutrinovore said:

Yeah, well, I'd bet that most of us feel the same way.  Unfortunately it looks like this 'mod' can join Konquest mod and anything by BobCat, to name a few, in the pantheon of 'vaporware' mods that are (and forever will be) in perpetual 'development'.

Which, you know, that's the way the cookie crumbles. If the developer lost interest, or life intervened in some way so that he/she no longer has the time or energy to devote to working on this mod or even messing with KSP at all, then that's life, I guess.

I do hope that this Rover does get completed someday, sooner rather than later.  But I won't be holding my breath, that's all I'm saying.  :rolleyes:

Darn. Real shame.:(

Well, I mean I'm glad there are a lot of people looking forward to the mod release... But keep in mind, I do this in my few hours of off time, which is also occupied by other facets of my life. 

So I mean, if you want to pay my bills, I'll gladly spend ten hours a day working on it. But until then, it's a slow process because I'm not well versed in any of these programs or coding. 

As it sits now, the cabin and flatbed attachment points are not quite right, the cabin doesn't have an IVA and apparently Unity does not like two textures assigned to a single mesh, so I have to go back and work that out. The wheels don't function at all, either. But the solar pack / battery works as it should!

The DVD/BluRay comes out tomorrow, which I assume will contain a lot more reference for me to work with. As well as the impending 1.1 update, which will probably change things. 

So sit tight, I haven't given up on it. Holidays are crazy for everyone and unfortunately finances are right which means more time spent at work than at home staring at a computer (instead of spending my home time with my girlfriend or friends.)

In due time. I'd rather wait and release something I'm really proud of, than a half finished mod that isn't really functional anyways.

also- I'm still open to suggestions on making the trailer and flatbed hitch like they are supposed to. 

Edited by -ctn-

I wouldn't worry about it too much. The impending update has a lot of people who mod, holding back on things until there is a strong confirmation on when that's supposed to happen. Personally, the progress you made is already staggering considering most of the work is based off a movie that hasn't even made out on disc yet.

Very true. But most of that stuff is really up to your imagination on how it should operate. The shape is definite and loosely based on the MMSEV, the interior is speculative, at best. Since you won't have to hang an RTG or strip out the seating (according to the book). The real question is: How would you design The Martian rover to improve upon the movie version?

11 hours ago, lynwoodm said:

How would you design The Martian rover to improve upon the movie version?

Probably make it have separate airlock? Depressurising entire cockpit sounds so unpractical for long term operations.

It would be nice to have an extended cabin. The cabin in the movie is great for a utility vehicle, but in KSP, I assume it would be more helpful to have a larger cabin for kerbal storage or for KIS storage space. 

11 hours ago, sashan said:

Probably make it have separate airlock? Depressurising entire cockpit sounds so unpractical for long term operations.

Not to mention the pretty LCD screens and laptops would be toast. "0/10. Brought product to Mars, did not work."

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2016 at 7:45 PM, KosmonautwithacapitalK said:

Maybe once you have a full release, in a later update you could have two version of the cab, one regular and the other a pimped out Mark Kerman version. Dunno, could be satisfying.

I said that, but I just thought that it would be good to have a full mark kerman pimped out version, complete with that little trailer attached by rope/

On 1/11/2016 at 5:23 PM, -ctn- said:

Well, I mean I'm glad there are a lot of people looking forward to the mod release... But keep in mind, I do this in my few hours of off time, which is also occupied by other facets of my life. 

So I mean, if you want to pay my bills, I'll gladly spend ten hours a day working on it. But until then, it's a slow process because I'm not well versed in any of these programs or coding. 

As it sits now, the cabin and flatbed attachment points are not quite right, the cabin doesn't have an IVA and apparently Unity does not like two textures assigned to a single mesh, so I have to go back and work that out. The wheels don't function at all, either. But the solar pack / battery works as it should!

The DVD/BluRay comes out tomorrow, which I assume will contain a lot more reference for me to work with. As well as the impending 1.1 update, which will probably change things. 

So sit tight, I haven't given up on it. Holidays are crazy for everyone and unfortunately finances are right which means more time spent at work than at home staring at a computer (instead of spending my home time with my girlfriend or friends.)

In due time. I'd rather wait and release something I'm really proud of, than a half finished mod that isn't really functional anyways.

also- I'm still open to suggestions on making the trailer and flatbed hitch like they are supposed to. 

Trust me. I get it. Good luck to you! :) 

Just want to update:

VM76qTk.png

So the parts are in the game and attach properly, except the wheels (still working on them.)

Textures all look pretty good, however the solar-powered battery pack STILL does not charge. It will sense when it's in sunlight or not, but does not actually charge. Here's the code for that, if anyone wants to look and troubleshoot:

Spoiler

PART
{
	name = ARES_Battery
	module = Part
	author = -ctn-
	mesh = ARESbattery.mu
	rescaleFactor = 1
	node_attach = 0.0, -0.22, 0.23, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0
	TechRequired = advElectrics
	entryCost = 3200
	cost = 550
	category = Utility
	subcategory = 0
	title = ARES Rover Battery
	manufacturer = 
	description = 
	attachRules = 0,1,0,0,0
	mass = 1.5
	dragModelType = default
	maximum_drag = 0.2
	minimum_drag = 0.2
	angularDrag = 1
	crashTolerance = 8
	maxTemp = 1200 // = 3200
	bulkheadProfiles = srf
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = ElectricCharge
		amount = 1000
		maxAmount = 1000
	}
	MODULE
	{
		sunTracking = false
		pivotName = suncatcher
		isBreakable = false
		chargeRate = 4.2
	}
}

wvU0xmc.png

Edited by -ctn-

2 hours ago, -ctn- said:

Just want to update:

VM76qTk.png

So the parts are in the game and attach properly, except the wheels (still working on them.)

Textures all look pretty good, however the solar-powered battery pack STILL does not charge. It will sense when it's in sunlight or not, but does not actually charge. Here's the code for that, if anyone wants to look and troubleshoot:

Reveal hidden contents

PART
{
	name = ARES_Battery
	module = Part
	author = -ctn-
	mesh = ARESbattery.mu
	rescaleFactor = 1
	node_attach = 0.0, -0.22, 0.23, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0
	TechRequired = advElectrics
	entryCost = 3200
	cost = 550
	category = Utility
	subcategory = 0
	title = ARES Rover Battery
	manufacturer = 
	description = 
	attachRules = 0,1,0,0,0
	mass = 1.5
	dragModelType = default
	maximum_drag = 0.2
	minimum_drag = 0.2
	angularDrag = 1
	crashTolerance = 8
	maxTemp = 1200 // = 3200
	bulkheadProfiles = srf
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = ElectricCharge
		amount = 1000
		maxAmount = 1000
	}
	MODULE
	{
		sunTracking = false
		pivotName = suncatcher
		isBreakable = false
		chargeRate = 4.2
	}
}

wvU0xmc.png

Look at the code can't see anything wrong but what your showing in the picture shouldn't the Sun Exposure be showing something ?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.