[1.0.4] Kramax Autopilot: Course guidance and auto-land for spaceplanes (v0.2)

Kramer

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I'm not willing to put things into CKAN (this from a self-proclaimed CKAN lover) unti 1.1 is fully released.  I had trouble enough merely updating KW Rocketry community Fixes with someone having a problem.  Besides, I still consider all of the 1.1 mods as "in development", and as such, won't update until out of development.

Once 1.1 is released, if Kramer doesn't want to pick it up, I'll then take it over.  Right now I'm just doing this because he doesn't have access to 1.1

I can totally respect that decision.

Please forgive my noobness, but is there a way where I can set this up to automatically hit alt, speed, pitch and such on a plan?  I want to be able to "fire and forget" when I first ignite the engines.  When testing this out I have to manually go in and change the numbers and apply the change.  I am a MechJeb user and I love most of the features on it, but plane guidance leaves a lot to be desired.  I can see this mod is very good for what it does, but can it do what I would like it to do?  I watched the video on this, but he didn't really explain much.

Edited by meltedplasticarmyguy

On 4/7/2016 at 10:28 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

KramaxAutopilot 0.3 is now available for KSP 1.1 for testing:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzid7e3pW1k7NjRCMnhzTDl0YTg/view?usp=sharing

This was done with the author's permission

On 4/7/2016 at 6:35 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

I'm not willing to put things into CKAN (this from a self-proclaimed CKAN lover) unti 1.1 is fully released.  I had trouble enough merely updating KW Rocketry community Fixes with someone having a problem.  Besides, I still consider all of the 1.1 mods as "in development", and as such, won't update until out of development.

Once 1.1 is released, if Kramer doesn't want to pick it up, I'll then take it over.  Right now I'm just doing this because he doesn't have access to 1.1

Linuxgurugamer,

Thank you so much for picking up the torch on my favorite mod.  I'll be happy to help with testing and any aviation related questions you have. (I'm a professional pilot IRL)

Thanks Again!
-Dan

5 minutes ago, daniel911t said:

Linuxgurugamer,

Thank you so much for picking up the torch on my favorite mod.  I'll be happy to help with testing and any aviation related questions you have. (I'm a professional pilot IRL)

Thanks Again!
-Dan

I'll do what I can, but keep in mind that I don't really do planes that well in KSP, and still don't fully understand how this mod is supposed to be controlled.  Like I said, i did this because the author didn't have access to 1.1, I'm kind of hoping he will be able to pick it back up when 1.1 is finally released.

LGG

it does have VNAV - "GS" mode is essentially VNAV for the flight plans.

Only problem I'm having in 1.1 is that the localizer/glideslope aren't aligned around the navball anymore.. they're ... above it and way off to the left.  I can work around that but it's definitely a bug.

Yes I'm discovering that...  in flight sim GS is glide slope, ie ride the ils beam, in thus autopilot it's VNAV which is cool just unexpected.  

BTW I too have the loc/GS scales off and below the nav ball.

pdTaBiz.png

I made a push request for some changes to the code that allow this.  The CDI appeared at first to the left of where it is in the image above, then I just clicked-n-dragged it to the middle.

This AP is a god send for this keyboard pilot.  I used to land DC10s and 747s in Flight Sim with a yoke, but I can't be bothered to get it out for the .3% of the time that I'd need it in KSP.

13 hours ago, tg626 said:

pdTaBiz.png

I made a push request for some changes to the code that allow this.  The CDI appeared at first to the left of where it is in the image above, then I just clicked-n-dragged it to the middle.

This AP is a god send for this keyboard pilot.  I used to land DC10s and 747s in Flight Sim with a yoke, but I can't be bothered to get it out for the .3% of the time that I'd need it in KSP.

I committed this and did a new release, available on Github for 1.1.2:  https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/KramaxAutoPilot

Hi all - sorry for being a noob...I'm sure I'm doing something wrong... (smile)

I have downloaded the latest version from Github and copiedthe contents of the zip folder and pasted in to the GameData folder.

When I start KSP, I see an icon (it is a blank box) along with the other addons (Kerbal Engineer). I click on box (assuming it is Kramax and it is not working.

Thanks!

Blue5

Kramer checking in here. I am very sorry I have not had time to maintain this project. I very much appreciate those who have picked up where I had left off. Thank you linuxgurugamer! I am willing to help and do what I can. Trying to figure out how to do that.

The Navball overlay code was always a hack in 1.0.5 cause I think there was no way to officially get some info about it that was really needed. Now with 1.1 allowing it to move and resize in stock game I could see it would need some serious work.

2 hours ago, Kramer said:

Kramer checking in here. I am very sorry I have not had time to maintain this project. I very much appreciate those who have picked up where I had left off. Thank you linuxgurugamer! I am willing to help and do what I can. Trying to figure out how to do that.

The Navball overlay code was always a hack in 1.0.5 cause I think there was no way to officially get some info about it that was really needed. Now with 1.1 allowing it to move and resize in stock game I could see it would need some serious work.

Kramer,

I know you've run out of time or will to continue this project, but I just want to thank you for making it in the first place.  It's one of my top 5 mods to keep me sane while playing.  Thanks so much for the work you put in in the first place, and for sharing it with us.

-Dan

45 minutes ago, daniel911t said:

Kramer,

I know you've run out of time or will to continue this project, but I just want to thank you for making it in the first place.  It's one of my top 5 mods to keep me sane while playing.  Thanks so much for the work you put in in the first place, and for sharing it with us.

-Dan

You are very welcome and glad you find it useful. I have not given up, just want to blend my efforts with those that have been doing work on it recently.

-Kramer

Really regret that this project could not continue, only hope that it be updated regularly if possible :wink:, with this mod I have been able to land aircraft, I don't know how I would have done without it!! :)
Thank you for this great mod!!! :D

12 minutes ago, Dux Aquila said:

Really regret that this project could not continue, only hope that it be updated regularly if possible :wink:, with this mod I have been able to land aircraft, I don't know how I would have done without it!! :)
Thank you for this great mod!!! :D

Glad you like it. Hopefully it will continue. Though I kind of think we need to wait for the wheel problem to be fixed before serious additions are done. Clearly it makes runway use harder than it should be. I currently have been avoiding aircraft with 1.1.2.

2 hours ago, Kramer said:

Glad you like it. Hopefully it will continue. Though I kind of think we need to wait for the wheel problem to be fixed before serious additions are done. Clearly it makes runway use harder than it should be. I currently have been avoiding aircraft with 1.1.2.

People still do aircraft activities so there's still a clear need for autopilots :wink:

One thing that's odd about the glideslope following and altitude hold though;  it seems to chase the needle a lot on the altitude all the time, and the glideslope on any plane that I create with flaps and horizontal stabilizers.  If I make a full delta wing design (like the US space shuttle or the Buran) it can land smoothly, but if I have flaps and hstabs I have to turn off VNAV and do that by hand.  Not sure why that is.  Using FAR if it matters.  Altitude hold chases the goal all over the place regardless of plane design.  Interestingly enough it can solidly hold a commanded pitch angle without any wobble in all cases however.

This was an issue in 1.0.x as well; apart from the localizer/glideslope not being aligned with the navball, it works exactly the same in 1.1 than in 1.0.x.  For me anyway.

You might want to lower the "authority" of the offending control surface.  I find the I have to do that at high speeds for roll, but it still does fine as the speed drops as I aproach final speeds. 

53 minutes ago, tg626 said:

You might want to lower the "authority" of the offending control surface.  I find the I have to do that at high speeds for roll, but it still does fine as the speed drops as I aproach final speeds. 

Dynamic Deflection can help with that. It automatically adjusts control surface authority based on speed: