[glow=gray,3,100]LISTEN UP MAGGOTS

WE'VE GOT A STRAY PLANETOID SITTING ON OUR LAWN AND NOBODY LIKES THE LOOK OF IT

IT SMELLS TOO

WE'VE GOTTA GET RID OF IT LIKE WE DID THAT BLOCK OF SANDSTONE

THAT'S WHERE YOU COME IN

ss20110730020646.png

GET THIS MOTHER INTO ORBIT, ANY HEIGHT, ANY PERIOD

MAKE SURE IT DOESN'T REENTER OR LEAVE ORBIT

YOU CAN ONLY USE PARTS FROM SILISKO INDUSTRIES DOUGHNUT RESEARCH AND SUNDAY PUNCH'S PARTS PACK, LIKE LAST TIME

THE CAPSULE CAN STAY ATTACHED TO THE ROCK, BUT BONUS POINTS WILL BE AWARDED FOR A SUCCESSFUL RETURN AFTER AN ORBIT OF THE MOON

PHOTOS ARE REQUIRED OF THE LIFTING CRAFT, THE MOON ENTERING ORBIT AND THE MOON AFTER 1 ORBIT (IN ROUGHLY THE SAME POSITION IT WAS AT LAUNCH) AND VIDEOS WORK TOO

GRAB THE MOON HERE AND GET RID OF IT BEFORE IT STINKS UP OUR PROPERTY VALUES

MODIFY THOSE FILES AND I'LL POUND YOUR BRAIN OUT OF YOUR NOSE WITH A LEAD PIPE[/glow]

A better designer/pilot should be able to get it into orbit. This is the best that I've done so far:

The design in VAB. Those are 8 of NovaSilisko's HH-77 insulated fuel tanks feeding 8 of Sunday Punch's K2-X medium liquid engines.

MunVAB.png

This thing was flown straight up at full throttle, because with these parts, I get a slideshow on my Pentium 4. =/ At burnout:

MunBurnout.png

And a bit after apokee:

MunFinal.png

Unfortunately, where to go from here is not obvious. Using the higher Isp NERVA engines gives me stability problems part way up (would more/larger SAS solve this without excessive weight?). The tanks don't seem to allow vertical fuel transfer, so stacking is out. Strapping additional engines onto the size will cause collisions with the tower. Using the lower attachment point is problematic, as I now have enough weight to tend to break anything on there on the pad...

could you put another ring of 8 onto the moon?

Outwards? Not without hitting the tower. A second 'stage' of those sorts of engines/tanks separated by decouplers seems to give me structural/strength issues when under thrust (but this might be avoidable with careful throttling). Also, it makes my system cry.

edit: Structural issues are solvable. Stability is iffy, though.

I've been able to get this thing well out of Kearth's atmosphere. Before I ended the mission, I think I hit 60km a short while after running out of fuel.

The problem, of course, is orbit. I'll need to work on my piloting skills because right now, I can't seem to level out without the rocket flipping over :(

I think I know the solution here guys! (Btw using stock parts :D)

Stock only and the bloody thing actually flies ???

Now bring it into orbit and we name a crater after you... Mare DarkCow or something :P