Dres Tips?

Hello,

I've reached a bit of a plateau in my career game again. I've unlocked about half of the 550 science nodes.

Recently replaced my LKO space station and that's got a nice supply of fuel (and a mobile lab) waiting. Previously I've done a manned landing on Duna and return. I've also sent some one way probes to Eve/Gilly and Ike.

I've a 0.9 save, I've been to Jool and some of it's moons, but am waiting for a few more unlocks for the resource mining before trying that this time as I'm now using TAC-LS. I've never been to Moho or Dres and so I thought I'd try one of those. On impulse and thinking "hmm it'll be like Duna but a little bit more fuel and no Atmosphere to slow me down", I've decided to try a manned mission to Dres.

I was wondering how much longer a round trip to Dres is compared to Duna? (as I use TAC-LS, so time is a factor).

Also, how much more fuel/ DeltaV is required compared to Duna?

Any other tips for a manned mission to Dres is highly welcomed.

Thanks,

- Ceq.

Edited by Ceq Lysander
Answered

For the dv to and from Dres, look here:

https://alexmoon.github.io/ksp/

For the time to get to dres, look here:

Look at the arrival time, pick a dres return after that, looking here:

But a little more helpful:

It takes a lot more dV to go to Dres, because you cannot aerobrake, and its significantly inclined.

I made a thread not to long ago, its a bit more efficient to go to duna and aerobrake there, then depart from duna to Dres... essentially you get duna to come in behind you, and push up your Pe with its atmosphere as it comes by.

Bookmarked. It's about time I try to learn how to use this transfer window thing. As for the Duna thing, I had a look and found the thread you talk about, but that sounds tricky. I might go direct for my first attempt to keep it simpler.

Landing on Dres and returning to orbit is pretty easy, easier than the Mun. It's getting there, and back, that's hard. :P

Thanks, that gives me confidence in that I'll be able to pull this off. I'm going to take my old Mun lander, bolt on the new science things I have and do an Apollo style CM/LM thing I think. If I do a crew-supply using a SSTO spaceplane I won't even need heatshields and chutes. (To coin a phrase, Warzouz - I am smart :) - most helpful thread, thanks)

I might install KER, so I can compare DV's.

Thanks, that gives me confidence in that I'll be able to pull this off. I'm going to take my old Mun lander, bolt on the new science things I have and do an Apollo style CM/LM thing I think. If I do a crew-supply using a SSTO spaceplane I won't even need heatshields and chutes. (To coin a phrase, Warzouz - I am smart :) - most helpful thread, thanks)

Hmmm, the circularize + send SSTO to get the kerbals and science is not that easy to do.

When you use a "direct to ground" landing ; you don't need the "escape SOI" fuel and you don't need the "transfert fuel". You only need part of the inclination change fuel (as ever).

I tried "circularize + SSTO" for mye Dres mission. I used external seats to reduce weight. The ship was terrible to fly.

If you go to Dres, you should have the tech to ISRU there. It's easy when you plan it correctly :D .

Also, favor the station + return vehicle instead of a regular lander that coming back on it's own. Advantage : you can return there with only a small ship and not the whole mission again. Better : leave few crew there to do some additional missions.

Salamander Exploration Space Station for hits land lot of tables...

Finally : there are usually "Dresoid" orbiting around Dres

There's also this:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/96985-1-0-4-WAC-s-Delta-V-Map-continued-2-2-%28Aug-13th%29-Swash-transition

Its not as precise, and its easy to miss the plane change numbers - they don't seem to be included in the totals - sure, you can pick the right time to arrive at An/Dn, but then the caputre burn is significantly larger, and this isn't reflected in the capture number.

Similarly, the summary numbers for Duna don't include the savings from aerobraking.

So take the dres number (6680) and add the plane change dV to it (1010) .... 7690 m/s dV needed to land on Dres

Take the duna number (6540), and subtract the aerobraking parts (1450+360+250)... 4480 m/s dV needed to land on Duna

Quite the difference...

The difference coming back isn't so bad though - it may even be in Dres's favor since it takes less to achieve orbit - although things are a bit different if you do orbital rendevous rather than direct ascent

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.