KNER K3 Pacific - No. 4472 - 'Flying Kerbman'

This is my magnum opus.

The KNER 4472 - 'Flying Kerbman' (craft link)

The above album begins with a few shots of Jeb looking over Bill (the Engineer :wink:)'s latest new toy. There are some shots of the piston gear in operation (sadly my screen-taking skills fell short of a half-decent gif animation, but hopefully you get the idea). The cab interior is loosely based on actual photographs of the real Flying Scotsman's cab, tho Kerbs being very short and scaling being tricky it is a bit wonky. :D

I began this as a stock project and fell to mods out of necessity - stock could do it, but it was ugly and the part count was/is terrifying. However, the only mods used are TweakScale and InfernalRobotics. With the exception of rotors for the wheels and connecting rods, and 2 IR gantries that just looked too 'right' to give up, all the parts are stock/rescaled. There are 479 of them.

The vessel weighs in at 60.9 tonnes as configured, and could weigh considerably more - most of the fuel tanks are empty.

I like to think this locomotive belongs to an era in Kerbin's none-too-distant past, when rockets hadn't yet been mastered as interplanetary craft and other technologies were still attracting the limelight. Unlike her RL analog, the Flying Kerbman's top speed is (ahem :blush:) about 2 m/s. It seems Kerbals and steam-power just don't belong together, and much to the good or perhaps there would never have been a Kerbal X...

In my defense, 2 m/s is pretty fast considering the mass of the thing, the number of moving parts and the fact that most of the propulsion force comes from the 6 torque/drivewheels. There is a rear-facing jet engine tucked away too, but truthfully that was mostly for the smoke effect - I think the jetwash actually collides with the tender. In any case, the wheels would implode if the vehicle exceeded about 6 m/s (which they did a number of times during development, as well as causing the runway to blow up).

Feel free to tinker if you download the craft, and if you set a new speed record by all means post it up. Many of the parts are for looks rather than function, so if anyone wants a stripped down version to try out I can try to fix one for you :)

Thanks Azimech, I think the only way to get it running at RL speeds (100mph = ~44m/s) would be to use a bunch of rover wheels and probably some jet propulsion to power it. I don't know how much the IR rotors can take before they explode, but there would be a lot of centrifugal force at those rotation speeds.

I was hoping to use just the middle set of reaction/drivewheels to power the whole locomotive, thereby making the siderods functional for power transmission to the other wheels, but the torque required seems like far more than a single pair has. I'm really chuffed ;) with the linkage movement though - even as it is the siderods (mostly) keep the wheels in pace with each other.

I was shooting for RL accuracy to the Flying Scotsman with this, but I think next I'll try to make a Kerbal 'train set', something a bit less form and a bit more function :)

Started working on an E2/Thomas today, trying to solve the speed problem too tho so it's taking time while I experiment on various solutions - best test-trundle so far was about 4m/s :(. So far I think the problem actually stems from using landing gears for spokes/reinforcement, but it would be a shame to lose the aesthetic. Check back for updates after the weekend.

@Wolf Baginski, very good, have a rep :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.