What to use?

michaelvf

Hi, KSP is one of the games I keep returning to, since it is too much fun to leave behind. But it has been a loooong time since my last visit and I don't have the time I used to and my daughter is STILL not old enough to play this game with me.

But there is still a lot of check marks missing on my ksp to-do list.

The most important ones are building a space station, re-directing an asteroid into low orbit and mining it.

But due to my lack of time I really don't have the time required to due all the proper assembly. So I am looking for the next best thing - Pre-built "plug'n'play' stuff that I can steal :)

I skimmed the spacecraft exchange but I quickly lost my way and got sidetracked by all the good stuff in there.

So maybe someone where can give me a few links to what they think would fulfill my requirements?

1) A link to a package which has everything needed for building a space station. I.e a lifter, space station parts and maybe a refueller. (Maybe even an assembler if thats required)

It doesn't have to be a big station but it has to have enough fuel for all the fun "visit other planets" stuff.

2) A link to an asteroid grabber that has enough oomph to move even a big asteroid

3) A miner meant for asteroids

Thanks in advance.

You could have built a,decent ship for any of the described roles in the time it took you to write that post.

Also the magic of ksp is building your own stuff and making it fly, not using someone else's.

I've work on stuff like that not long ago. There are variations, pre-built interplanetary stage and LKO launch stage (fully recoverable).

Salamander Exploration: simple and efficient space station to everywhere

The Salamander Exploration Space Station (SESS) is a versatile design and specification to create a long term base of operations for planetary exploration and quick contract resolution. It’s designed to be efficient in collecting science.

The SESS is designed to fulfill various goals:

* Host kerbals and generate science

* Base of operations for one or multiple science landers

* Be able to quickly do contracts (get science from space, from ground, plant flag, collect and deliver ore up to 3000 and rescue Kerbals)

* Host return vehicles for Kerbals to get home

* Refuel landers, fuel return vehicles

* Get ore from planetary bodies.

* Be standard for most bodies

* Migrate to another body to do more exploration.

I didn't add any grabber, but you could add them. And BTW, I've noticed I didn't pack the return vehicle I designed for each planet. You might do that yourself, but it's easy

1ff68ec0-b5ce-4004-b294-4a1f0ac8f533.jpg

(this is a old prototype even modified for contract purpose)

PS : and if you want prebuit recoverable SSTO rocket stage to LKO : http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/123195

Edited by Warzouz

Thanks, that looks very nice. I'll try it out.

Yeah, the small stuff like grabber and return stuff I can easily add myself.

- - - Updated - - -

You could have built a,decent ship for any of the described roles in the time it took you to write that post.

Also the magic of ksp is building your own stuff and making it fly, not using someone else's.

You should go tell the people in the spacecraft exchange that they shouldn't share and try out other vehicles than their own, because there is no magic in that....

Trying out other people's creations is a good way to learn. Go troll somewhere else.

Don't really wanna argue, whatever. Also not trolling.

Your pride isn't on the line or anything here mate, don't be defensive about it. But the truth is this game and its community have always encouraged sharing of things and ideas as far back as kerbalspaceprogram.com and obviously here on the forums. You are right that you delude your own experience a bit by skipping the assembly buildings, but it doesn't make it an experience not worth having.

I guess it's my own view, and I'm extremely biased about this, but I enjoy building the rockets waaaay more than flying them around in the end. It's a special sort of feeling when the 10kt monster finally makes it to a stable orbit - after failing multiple times and having to be fixed. Dunno, I just think you're taking awqy your own fun and sense of accomplishment, sort-of like buying a pre-built lego model instead of buying the parts and building it on your own.

As for getting ideas from others... I guess, but I get most of mine just by experimenting with different things. Needed a few pointers in the right direction for spaceplanes, but otherwise I learned most things in KSP by trial and error. Now that most rockets and planes I build work correctly the first time, and I rarely forget crucial elements the game sort of lost some of the magic of achievement.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.