Jump to content

[1.12.x] USI Core (Reactors and Kontainers)


RoverDude
 Share

Recommended Posts

RoverDude, do you have any plans to release refueling tools separately for the reactors? I am currently using your USI Lite mod and it does not provide any mining tools that extract fuel for your reactors. 

Of course I could be missing something or not have the latest releases of these mods.

Thank you for your amazing mods! They add wonderful depth to an already awesome game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The 'wet' kontainer tanks have lost their ability to have liquid fuel only, that's no longer an option, plus I think a few other options may be missing.

Edit: Also, the Ore texture has gone missing, that option gives a textureless model.

Edited by smjjames
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dr Farnsworth said:

RoverDude, do you have any plans to release refueling tools separately for the reactors? I am currently using your USI Lite mod and it does not provide any mining tools that extract fuel for your reactors. 

Of course I could be missing something or not have the latest releases of these mods.

Thank you for your amazing mods! They add wonderful depth to an already awesome game.

Glad you enjoy them :)  And maintenance is already built in, just launch a container of nuclear fuels, and as long as it's close by, you can refuel with an EVA engineer.

37 minutes ago, smjjames said:

The 'wet' kontainer tanks have lost their ability to have liquid fuel only, that's no longer an option, plus I think a few other options may be missing.

Edit: Also, the Ore texture has gone missing, that option gives a textureless model.

Please log a github issue :)

32 minutes ago, smjjames said:

Actually, the spherical ones did and still do, but the cylindrical ones did as well, but now don't.

Yeah that sounds a bit broke :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Glad you enjoy them :)  And maintenance is already built in, just launch a container of nuclear fuels, and as long as it's close by, you can refuel with an EVA engineer.

Please log a github issue :)

Yeah that sounds a bit broke :D

The missing ore texture turns out to be a Dynamic Texture Loader issue, theres also a couple other textures that it's making low res, but the texture issue isn't this mod.

As for the cylindrical tanks, I tried looking at the spherical tank configs vs the cylindrical tank configs and couldn't see any differences like a typo or something that would make them not have liquid fuel and LH2.

edit: Github issue logged a moment ago.

Edited by smjjames
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Glad you enjoy them :)  And maintenance is already built in, just launch a container of nuclear fuels, and as long as it's close by, you can refuel with an EVA engineer.

Refueling from a container launched from Kerbin is great. But what if you want to build a closed loop system in the Jool system. 

Is there currently not a way to drill/mine and refine fuel for the reactors on other planetary bodies that is a stand alone mod or part of USI Lite?

Edited by Dr Farnsworth
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@RoverDude I'm finding that the kontainer tanks are in need of some weight/fuel volume rebalancing because while they're fine for storage and stuff, the weight really kills the deltaV if you try to use them as fuel tanks when you use them for a LH2 powered engine, or any engine actually. Though the difference is less with denser fuels.

Just made a github issue on it.

 

Edited by smjjames
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, smjjames said:

@RoverDude I'm finding that the kontainer tanks are in need of some weight/fuel volume rebalancing because while they're fine for storage and stuff, the weight really kills the deltaV if you try to use them as fuel tanks when you use them for a LH2 powered engine, or any engine actually. Though the difference is less with denser fuels.

Just made a github issue on it.

 

The only thing I would be wary of is comparing to FTT tanks.  We've known since 1.0 came out that much of FTT needs a refresh/rebalance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Would it be possible to make the reactors (or at least the tiny one) surface-attachable?

I find that I typically need a reactor of a given capacity, but its size doesn't fit anywhere in the vehicle stack. For example, the 0.625m reactor is sufficient for most purposes short of UKS-style heavy industry or NFP-scale electric engines - but I don't usually have any 0.625m nodes handy. Right now it is stashed in a service bay by itself, but it would be neat to have the option to mount it radially (without kludging with a cubic strut), or in a service bay that doesn't have interior nodes, a la Near Future Spacecraft or the Taurus HCV lab.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sure, log a github issue.  I have ideas.

And I'll peek at the tanks.  Part of their benefit is they can support some serious mass.  So it may be a case of deciding on ruggedized (worse ratio but good for airdrops) and lighter but more delicate ones.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


0.1.7 - 2016.02.13
------------------
Fixed texture reference in cylindrical tanks (Thanks LouisB3!)
Added a surface attach option for all reactors
Adjusted mass and crash tolerance of all containers for consistency
Increased LqdHydrogen storage to be more in line with stock tank mass ratios
Fixed missing radial tank textures
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Roverdude.......I'm assuming since I just updated USI Core and it blew up my save of multiple ships in flight, I'm assuming the name change I have found with the Kontainers is the issue?

Just want to confirm before I go through and tweak the save/craft files....it appears the names of the parts went from C3.Kontainer.KIS.03 to C3_Kontainer_KIS_03. Is this the only change that occurred in the latest version that broke the save/craft files? I couldn't find anything else so I suspect this is it.

Thanks!

 

Update:   Well, now I'm not sure what is happening. It doesn't appear the USI Core is being loaded by KSP. Did you by chance restrict the loading to 32bit only? I happen to be running 64bit Win KSP.

 

Edited by jmbailey2000
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I posted this question previously in the main UKS thread.  Didn't see this one to post in, and I apologize.  

I am running a sandbox save.  I had a nuclear drum "fuel truck" docked to my station, and it was on a port right next to the reactor i was attempting to refuel.  I EVAd a 5 star engineer, and brought him in between the reactor and the fuel drum.  The only option i get when i right click on the drum, is disassemble part.  Is there supposed to be a refuel option?  I also tried while docked, the transfer fuel option.  When I clicked the part to transfer to, it gave me an error. "No part selected, exiting transfer mode.."  

Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong here?  I am totally confused by the mechanic needed to refuel this reactor.  I am assuming that the process is the same even if i am transferring fuel from drum to drum as well?

Thanks for your assistance with this.  I am really enjoying the mod, but if I can't figure out how to refuel nuclear reactors I don't know how I'd be able to support any deep space stations.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, brohande said:

I posted this question previously in the main UKS thread.  Didn't see this one to post in, and I apologize.  

I am running a sandbox save.  I had a nuclear drum "fuel truck" docked to my station, and it was on a port right next to the reactor i was attempting to refuel.  I EVAd a 5 star engineer, and brought him in between the reactor and the fuel drum.  The only option i get when i right click on the drum, is disassemble part.  Is there supposed to be a refuel option?  I also tried while docked, the transfer fuel option.  When I clicked the part to transfer to, it gave me an error. "No part selected, exiting transfer mode.."  

Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong here?  I am totally confused by the mechanic needed to refuel this reactor.  I am assuming that the process is the same even if i am transferring fuel from drum to drum as well?

Thanks for your assistance with this.  I am really enjoying the mod, but if I can't figure out how to refuel nuclear reactors I don't know how I'd be able to support any deep space stations.

I'm having a very similar issue. I've been using this mod and have just gotten to the point where i can begin setting up my first base. In trying to test the various parts, I've become stumped on refueling the PDU with enriched uranium.

From what I've read, you need to have a Kerbal Engineer do an EVA and perform maintenance in order to refuel the PDU. However I've tested this on Kerbin and also in LKO and cannot get my engineer to be able to perform maintenance on either the PDU or the Mark V Supply Redi-Pak I'm using to hold the refill of enriched uranium (or any other part for that matter). I only have a lvl 2 engineer as was thinking he wasn't experienced enough, but seeing the above I'm wondering if its something else.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i just tried to do it again.. to see if i could duplicate the error... and now its working.. i got nothing.. really don't.. :confused:  

RoverDude,... thanks for an awesome mod.. i've been going crazy with this issue, but everything else is great.. Now to get back to work building my minmus base! :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i've been out of town for a couple of days but i just returned and had a chance to check a few things. also, i deleted all of my USI mods and reinstalled directly from the Github links. however i'm still having the same problem. 

67FCBFC2DED383FD2115D4454F1F6C2E1EEE0B3F

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-forma

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Dudicus said:

i've been out of town for a couple of days but i just returned and had a chance to check a few things. also, i deleted all of my USI mods and reinstalled directly from the Github links. however i'm still having the same problem. 

67FCBFC2DED383FD2115D4454F1F6C2E1EEE0B3F

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-forma

Something is not right with your install.  By the way it would be helpful to fully explain as it can be time consuming to go back through your history to remember exactly what your issue is.

5dHyES8.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...