Spacestation exploding for no reason

This is driving me nuts, I've send up a rescue vehicel for 3 of my Kerbals that are on a station orbiting Kerbal. I've set the stations dock as target and control from the capsules docking port and engage MJs docking autopilot. As soon as it gets about 20-30m close to the station, both explode without anything touching it. The log says the docking port exploded because of too much heat :confused: It also happens when I manually approach the docking port, come 20m close and boom. What is happening, any ideas as to what might cause this? I've build the station on 1.0 and the rescue capsule with 1.04, might this be an issue? I need to save those poor guys because I've ran out of crew to hire...

[EDIT]: okay even stranger: I switched control and docked while piloting the station and not the capsule, tataa docking worked. This is a very strange bug I suppose(?). Now let's just hope I can safely undock ;)

[EDIT2]: bah it just exploded while both were docked - what is happening???

[EDIT3]: quicksaved right before, loaded again and went right to the space center. I can warp for hours without anything happening, as soon as I take control of the station, 5 seconds later boom...

Edited by milosh

Similar thing happened to me recently. Things blew up under warp, then kraken began pushing one of my orbital stations. Removing mods did not help, reverting to older savegame did. I suspect KAS/KIS since I installed them just before troubles started (but never actually used them outside of pad testing).

Well I managed to save my Kerbals by restarting the game, going to the space center and warping there for more than 24h until the station was on the dark side of the planet. For some reason it didn't explode then and I could EVA my Kerbals to the capsule. I would've almost lost them anyway because I chose a way to steep reentry, thank the devs for the debug menu :D

I tried to reproduce it by accessing the station while on the sun side of the planet but it didn't explode anymore. It's really time for 1.1 so I can finally clean the whole installation and start a freshly new game, hopefully without corruption ;)

Get hyperedit, hack the station into orbit of a different planet or the sun and than hack it back to kerbin, that usually fixes problems. I never play without hyperedit because such bugs happen every now and then. It's also useful for testing eve ascent stages on eve :D

Forget docking with that station then. Pull the rescue ship in to 50m or even 100m, and EVA those Kerbals out. Then maybe deorbit that station and build a new one.

You might also want to try this, as there is an overheat fix, but I don't know if it would apply to the docking ports - but maybe worth a try.

I have found warping causes parts to heat up for no reason.

1. Were you warping to your station?

2. Use the F10 to see heat on your ship

3. Try using Alt+F12 to open up the Debug Toolbar. Select ignore max temperature.

4. Your parts should cool down after you warp at 100 times for a 10 to 20 seconds. Then deselect ignore max temperature so you get the usual reentry heating.

I find warping at 1000+ causes the most issues.

Edited by hellblazer

I'm experiencing the same problem. Two of my space probes exploded due to overheating around Kerbin at ~250km altitude.

The Log says that almost all parts (there aren't many, actually) experienced overheating.

This happened to me for the second time just a few minutes ago. First I though it was my fault, or possibly crashing into a piece of debris. Now, I've actually read crash report.

It seems the problem extends from the OKTO probe core, that I've used and then radiates instantly to the other parts.

Now, 1.0.4 contains these radiator panels. Maybe I should use those?

Nope, same problem still exists. It seems the overheating thing is a bug.

This makes the game almost unplayable, since most of the progress seems to be killed off after some time :/

Hope this get's fixed soon.

Edited by polemon
/* nothing */

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.