[1.2.2] Phoenix Industries: Boosters! (0.625 and 2.5m SRBs) (v.2.1)

-ctn-

Hey everyone! I'm releasing my small booster mod! This adds two tiny boosters, one large booster, and a radial LF/O tank to your parts roster. The first is a radially-mounted SRB based on the GEM-46 booster used for the Delta series rockets. The second is a tiny, stack-able SRB intended for use as a Payload Assist. The third is a large radially-mounted SRB, based on the EAP booster used on the Ariane 5. The radial liquid fuel tank is based on the booster tanks for the Soyuz FG.

p8AThsV.jpg

License:

88x31.png

Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License

Spoiler

v2.1
-Switched all textures to .DDS.
-Tweaked stats on "Nudge."
-Tweaked stats on "Moore," so it is actually useable.
-Added radially-mounted LF/O tank inspired by the Soyuz FG rocket.

v2.0
-Tweaked stats and added 2.5m SRB based on the EAP used for the Ariane 5.

v1.1

-Removed NormalMap textures - fixed swirly nosecone issue for SEM-24

-Fixed attachment node for SEM-24 - mirror symmetry now works and rockets no longer spin from the boosters

-Tweaked and re-imported the models from Blender - now with Edge-Split, they look better

v1.0

Release!

Download:

SpaceDock

Thanks everyone! Hopefully you enjoy it!

Edited by -ctn-

Saw this mod and instantly thought: "Yes! MK2 SSTO Boosters!"

Tried it out and... Well...

I think the Node Attach settings are off for the SEM-24. Mirror mode attaching is broken: the mirrored side is rotated 90 degree CCW. On top of that, these seem to be offset to the side (CCW) a bit. I'm looking at the config and it reads:

0.2, 0.3, 0.3

... for the attachment point. I have this odd feeling that the model needs to be rotated 90 degrees and one or 2 of those numbers should be zeroed out. Mind you, I'm no modder or modeler, so I could be utterly wrong. It's just that the SEM-24 is just PERFECT for my small SSTOs, so I'd like to use them. As it stands, they're a bit inconvenient to us on SSTOs (since they rely more on mirror symmetry than radial). The offset is just irking my mild OCD-ness.

And something seems weird about the engine nozzle. Maybe it just an illusion from the texture, but the placement looks offset. I know it's angled, but it doesn't seem to be centered quite right...

The offset nozzle is on purpose, the nozzles on the GEM-46 are slightly off center.

As for the mirror symmetry, I'll give that a look. I hadn't thought to check that, I've just been using them with radial symmetry for the past couple of weeks.

I'll try to get an updated/fixed version online in the next couple of days.

I love these! 0.625m parts are in short supply - especially long monopart tanks and boosters, and this mod fits the niche perfectly.

Where possible, please do consider making a 1.875m series of parts in order to bridge the mid-game gap between Size 1 and Size 2 parts. Should be pretty simple to do as similar aesthetics can be used.

These look beautiful!

However, I tried using them on a small booster, and I had some- interesting results.

One- when highlighted while in space- one whole side of the thing turns a strange shade of green. I think this might be a texturing problem?

Two- I had a bit of trouble getting the ship to fly properly using these (I forgot a reaction wheel) and the whole thing spun slightly. Is that with my bad design or is the COT aligned properly with the attachment node?

Anyway, I am definitely using these for my next few games.

The offset nozzle is on purpose, the nozzles on the GEM-46 are slightly off center.

As for the mirror symmetry, I'll give that a look. I hadn't thought to check that, I've just been using them with radial symmetry for the past couple of weeks.

I'll try to get an updated/fixed version online in the next couple of days.

These look beautiful!

However, I tried using them on a small booster, and I had some- interesting results.

One- when highlighted while in space- one whole side of the thing turns a strange shade of green. I think this might be a texturing problem?

Two- I had a bit of trouble getting the ship to fly properly using these (I forgot a reaction wheel) and the whole thing spun slightly. Is that with my bad design or is the COT aligned properly with the attachment node?

Anyway, I am definitely using these for my next few games.

Aw, man! And here I thought it was good to go.

I'll take a hard look at the parts and Unity again and see if I can narrow down the mentioned issues.

With the SEM-24 having an angled nozzle, I can understand an offset placement as well. However, I'm not sure if the offset was in the same plane as the angling. Again, it might be just the texturing making it look weirder than it really is. The little bit of swirl in the texture by the nozzle plus KSP's camera view in the editor could very well be playing with my eyes. (And maybe the node placement as well... Not really sure. I'd have to stare at the model in-game or get something that can load and edit the model to be sure.)

BTW, I noticed the SM-25 has a bottom stack node but doesn't seem to have a fairing when something is attached to that node. It's an SRB, so I guess most people wouldn't add parts right under an SRB, but just letting you know.

AlbertKermin's spinning issue might be related to the attachment node point I brought up. With angled thrust, any deviation from the centerline will induce some torque and therefore spin. I forgot about this point, so the attachment offset is more than just my OCD-ness; it's actually a gameplay issue.

Still, looking forward to the update!

The nozzle and exhaust FX are angled at the correct 10°, but the thrustTransform (that is, center of thrust) is cheated and inline with the middle of the part, pointing straight down. This was an attempt to sneak past uneven balance/thrust issues and ease of use.

It sounds like all the issues are caused by the attachment node - I did place it off center, I was thinking it should be on the surface of the rocket since it's radially attached, but I'm guessing it needs to be in the center and in the config you just tell KSP to surface attach it.

The SM-25 doesn't have a fairing because none of the stock SRBs do, and it's meant to be a Payload Assist, which are usually hidden in the aero-shell fairings.

I'm testing a fix for the attach node now. The texture thing will have to wait until I have a little more time and can really diagnose and fix the issue.

The nozzle and exhaust FX are angled at the correct 10°, but the thrustTransform (that is, center of thrust) is cheated and inline with the middle of the part, pointing straight down. This was an attempt to sneak past uneven balance/thrust issues and ease of use.

It sounds like all the issues are caused by the attachment node - I did place it off center, I was thinking it should be on the surface of the rocket since it's radially attached, but I'm guessing it needs to be in the center and in the config you just tell KSP to surface attach it.

The SM-25 doesn't have a fairing because none of the stock SRBs do, and it's meant to be a Payload Assist, which are usually hidden in the aero-shell fairings.

I'm testing a fix for the attach node now. The texture thing will have to wait until I have a little more time and can really diagnose and fix the issue.

Aw... I was expecting to work around the offset thrust! Well, this would explain why the thrust indicator in the SPH wasn't angling off somewhere when I had an asymmetric design going. (I was sorting out the mirror symmetry thing.) Once you get the attachment node corrected, any chance of getting both angled and inline thrust versions of the SEM-24? I imagine some intrepid users will use the angled thrust versions for something fun. (Like a RATO cargo SSTO...)

I think you had the right idea for the attachment node, but filled out too many numbers. Assuming those are just XYZ coordinates (no idea how Unity does this internally), what you did was (for example) offset it a little forward (okay, still centerline), outward (okay, moving out to the casing/surface), and to the side (<< Offset.) You have a better idea of this since you're the modder, but looking at the numbers and knowing how a 3-axis (Euclidean) coordinate system generally works is what made me think that.

I have no idea about the symmetry issues though. KSP/Unity is all kinds of "What the...?" to me when it comes to symmetry. I'm hoping the move to Unity 5 and KSP 1.1 makes the lives of everyone far easier.

StahnAileron - I had originally planned to do an inline version of the SEM24 as well, however I wanted to focus on my rover mod. Unity is a headache for me, you really need an analytical mind to understand it.

SuccinctLemon - Thanks for the compliment!

Fortunately, I fixed all the issues noted here, but now I have a new issue. The game wants to attach the rocket right in the middle of the rocket - not where I'm trying to tell it to.

EDIT: Fixed! Update on the first page.

Edited by -ctn-

• 4 months later...

(I have finally created an account to be able to comment on the forums...)

I have downloaded your booster pack and have been toying around with them (SEM-24) in a sandbox game. I really like them! It's nice to be able to build a stock-alike Delta-II and replicate similar rockets in KSP. The design is fantastic and fits very well with the aesthetics of the stock parts. I really think that tiny radially attached boosters like these are missing in the stock game. :)

Just one thing I noticed regarding aesthetics: on the top of the SEM-24, there are 4 dots (rivets i guess): 3 on the nosecone and 1 below that striped section. Is it on purpose that those dots are not facing directly towards the part that the SEM-24 is attached to? Also if you connect the 3 dots on the nosecone, the line seems to be curved (could be an illusion though).

I'm not sure yet if I'm going to use them in my stock savegame, since I try to keep that 99% stock (with the exception of a few surface/nav lights), but I'm sure I'll toy around with them some more.

Great work!

The texture was just because I didn't want a plain white nose cone on the booster. The texture follows a straight seam line so it may be a trick on your eyes. 

And the SEM-24 doesn't have a nickname simply because I wasn't feeling clever at the time I released the mod. I'm open to suggestions? I totally forgot about it until you brought it up. It's called the SEM 24 because it's based on the GEM46 booster, which stands for "Graphite Epoxy Motor" and the 46 means inches in diameter, I believe. 

The SEM means Solid Engine Motor and the 24 would stand for the diameter being somewhere around 24 inches. 

1 hour ago, -ctn- said:

The texture was just because I didn't want a plain white nose cone on the booster. The texture follows a straight seam line so it may be a trick on your eyes. 

And the SEM-24 doesn't have a nickname simply because I wasn't feeling clever at the time I released the mod. I'm open to suggestions? I totally forgot about it until you brought it up. It's called the SEM 24 because it's based on the GEM46 booster, which stands for "Graphite Epoxy Motor" and the 46 means inches in diameter, I believe. 

The SEM means Solid Engine Motor and the 24 would stand for the diameter being somewhere around 24 inches. 

Mine are called 'Carbon Glue Rockets' and I named them after precious gems. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.