Devnote Tuesday: Kerbal Space Program 1.0.5

SQUAD

Why is the specialization thing only available in career mode? Is that changeable? (KIS uses specializations in sandbox, even if stock doesn't)

I would need to test it again to be 100% sure, but I thought at least scientists "work" in science mode. Everybody (and all probes) get full SAS but pilots don't return extra science like scientists do. And I suspect that only engineers help ISRU even though everybody can change tires.

I also suspect mods do their own thing, and for KIS/KAS engineers are the only people you need ever necessary for some functions.

I would need to test it again to be 100% sure, but I thought at least scientists "work" in science mode. Everybody (and all probes) get full SAS but pilots don't return extra science like scientists do. And I suspect that only engineers help ISRU even though everybody can change tires.

I also suspect mods do their own thing, and for KIS/KAS engineers are the only people you need ever necessary for some functions.

I was talking about the hover thing, so I can never let anyone else outside of my ship perform more efficient EVAs.

Fix engines not resetting throttle on flameout.

Hold up, can someone elaborate on this? The throttle is going to reset when the engine flames out? I use a HOTAS, that's going to really mess things up. Please tell me I'm misinterpreting that.

Alshain: You know how jet engines have response times, so even if you have the throttle firewalled, it takes the jet some time to spool from zero "actual" throttle to be in sync with your "requested" throttle? Right now, flameouts don't reset the actual throttle, which means the jet instantly spools from zero to (whatever it last was) when the flameout ends. In 1.0.5, jets' "actual" throttles get reset to 0 on flameout, so it will take the normal spooling time to spool from 0 actual to (whatever you're currently requesting) actual throttle.

The UI throttle state (the requested throttle) is of course never touched, that's for the player to control.

I thought all this new UI and other stuff coming with 1.0.5 was made possible by U5. How are we now getting these without the part that made them possible, U5?

The new UI is coming with U5 update. We aren't getting that in 1.0.5. We are getting mostly parts and bug fixes, which probably aren't changing much in Unity 5 because they are handled by KSP, not the engine.

- - - Updated - - -

Alshain: You know how jet engines have response times, so even if you have the throttle firewalled, it takes the jet some time to spool from zero "actual" throttle to be in sync with your "requested" throttle? Right now, flameouts don't reset the actual throttle, which means the jet instantly spools from zero to (whatever it last was) when the flameout ends. In 1.0.5, jets' "actual" throttles get reset to 0 on flameout, so it will take the normal spooling time to spool from 0 actual to (whatever you're currently requesting) actual throttle.

The UI throttle state (the requested throttle) is of course never touched, that's for the player to control.

Good, glad I misunderstood. Reading the bug fix list, it looks like a lot of old small annoyances are going away. Especially that ladder one, thank you very much to all of Squad for doing a little polish on those.

Edited by Alshain

I feel weirdly disappointed by this news. I guess it's because Unity 5 was my biggest want for the 1.0...err...1.1 release.
This is a bugfix update. While I was a bit disappointed that Squad wasn't just waiting for 1.1 to release it, it's probably a good thing it's coming.

I feel weirdly disappointed by this news. I guess it's because Unity 5 was my biggest want for the 1.0...err...1.1 release.

Well, think of it this way. You can have everything in a month or two or you can have parts now and U5 in a month or two. Which do you prefer? It makes sense, why sit on stuff that is over and done when they could slightly appease us with something new. The last thing we want is a rushed Unity 5 update. I understand the disappointment though, I too am looking forward to it.

DISCLAIMER: By a month or two, I mean I have no idea but needed a timeframe for an example.

So heat is changing again. How many more changes to heat/aero/other vital mechanics are we looking at? We have 1.0.5 changes, and I assume 1.1 will have more changes. Then I would think at least one more tweak after that. At what point can I save a .craft file and have it work the same after the next update? Never does not really work for me.

So heat is changing again. How many more changes to heat/aero/other vital mechanics are we looking at? We have 1.0.5 changes, and I assume 1.1 will have more changes. Then I would think at least one more tweak after that. At what point can I save a .craft file and have it work the same after the next update? Never does not really work for me.

I don't think the heat is changing that much. A lot of what they are talking about are bug fixes. For example it is currently incredibly difficult to get that high atmosphere science because your Kerbal overheats and dies the moment you step out of the command pod at 65km. That looks like what the first fix on Nathan's list there is. The RTG looks like the biggest exception, but it's a nuclear device, it should generate heat, and it will make the heat radiators useful for something.

Awesome update.. will be happy to see the new stuff a little early :) And who doesnt love bug fixes!

My only suggestion/idea is regarding the mouse over kerbal portrait to see their job/stats. Id much rather it be more similar to DMagics awesome PortraitStats mod, Were the stars and a Job icon (Wrench for engineer, beaker for scientest) was displayed right on their portrait.

This way you can see what you have at a glance, and not have to mouse over.

Will mods like USI-LS (and others) be able to hook into this contract system to include things like Crew Resupply missions to Space Stations/Bases or will this be strictly "add this part to your existing vessel" or "add X more Kerbals to the vessel"

The facility objectives have always been configurable, if mod authors want to add their own parts and resources into the existing objectives. However, the specific details of these objectives are not the key component that make contextual contracts "tick". The key component is how I track and visualize existing assets for the player. This mechanic has been intentionally designed in a modular fashion, which allows both me and the modding community to hook it into any number of unrelated contracts. Mod authors should be able to utilize it to create a wide array of contextual contract variants, beyond only those that affect bases and stations.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.