Devnote Tuesday: Kerbal Space Program 1.0.5

SQUAD

That's why you turn earlier. Start about when you reach 100m/s. Pitch about 5-10 degrees, let the prograde marker line up with your new heading and then follow the prograde marker. Stop your turn at about end of atmosphere or even slightly lower. (I like to stop somewhere between 60-70 unless it's RSS then I stop turning at 100km)

Or monitor your ap in the map view or using MJ/KER. Cut engines when it's about 75km, turn horizontal and, about a minute before the Ap, burn (or just set up a maneuver node)

Or monitor your ap in the map view or using MJ/KER. Cut engines when it's about 75km, turn horizontal and, about a minute before the Ap, burn (or just set up a maneuver node)

While true that is a very inefficient way of achieving orbit compared to utilizing a gravity turn.

Mk IV spaceplane parts. Add them. Big planes. circular orbits. finally. (The only circular orbit I've ever made was in my mk IV spaceplane. all my other orbits are elliptical. I'm too afraid my rockets will flip at 10km to try to turn there. I usually burn straight up until 70km, when I make a manuever node to make an orbit.

If you head up a steady 30 degrees it's possible to get the stock Aeris 4A into a low but circular orbit of Kerbin, then deorbit and land again, and that's a Mk1 spaceplane.

I tried using mechjeb, but it lagged my computer to (bill cosby voice) about one frame every five weeks. (normal voice). I always have aerodynamic overlay, and my rockets tend to be big, and I've seen multiple rockets I've built flip due to turning or simply being too long...

Am I the only one here

Who wants squad to take their time with this one so I can finish my 1.0.4 career first?

Actually, Squad and KSP is nice that way.

You don't have to update your game just because there's a new update available.

And when you decide to update, you can install the update in a new location and play any version you want.

It's a single player game, so you decide the rules ;)

Sorry to rain on your parade, but SQUAD stopped doing that a long time ago because they thought there would be too many delays and they would be too disappointing to fans. Actually (can I go on a tangent for a second?), there's talk of a police group on Steam for devs, and there is more talk that trolls will flag a dev if he/she's one day off with the release of an update because of a funeral or something. So actually, maybe it's a good thing release dates aren't announced.

EDIT:

Wow, you stole my thunder.

So, instead of announcing it for the month when they knew it will happen they announce it once up to 6months or more. This just causes more dissapointment. There is no difference. It's actually worse how it is now... I don't see why they stick everything into major updates either. Why not quick bug fixes or other things that are heavily needed that can be done early and just release them and announce it when it is literally released... Instead they wait for part of a year for the game to function properly. Instead of just having major releases for game additions and not long awaited and needed bug fixes. It's makes absolutely no sense and makes people stop playing the game...

Edited by Arugela

Why not quick bug fixes or other things that are heavily needed that can be done early and just release them and announce it when it is literally released...

There was 4 days between 1.0 and 1.0.1 which was also a few hours behind 1.0.2 as well. 7 weeks later, we got 1.0.3 and the day after that, 1.0.4.

The rest of the time, I believe one of the reasons to not release often is so people with limited data plans/bandwidth don't have to download a multi-gig file as often. "I just spent half my monthly data useage on this, what's new? Oh.. 3 new antennas.. anything else? No? Just 3 new parts at the expense of half my data limit? Ok.." kinda thing, you know?

Also, quick bugfixes would be ranked according to severity. Would you consider a low priority bug like 'if you use launch clamps (not available until level 4, something you would have to launch a vessel without them to achieve) to launch your first career vessel, the contract isn't fulfilled" worthy of redownloading the whole game again? Considering you would never encounter this issue unless you yourself modified the game files to make the clamps available at the Level 1? "I changed game files, now the game doesn't work as expected" is not really a reason to push a hotfix. I'm not calling out you or that bug specifically, just using it as an example.

However, if you load ships, that were created the previous day IRL, and caused the game to crash (1.0.3/1.0.4), that would be a slightly more pressing reason to push a hotfix. 3 new parts vs a game-breaking bug - which would you rather have to redownload the game for?

You see my point? You'd wait for the parts over a bug that means you can't play the game because of something you did yesterday. Give me the bugfix now, I'll wait for the parts. That's exactly what Squad have done since KSP went into full release and out of alpha. 1.0.2 to 1.0.3 was 7 weeks probably because they had to reproduce and fix the bugs reported, the radiators and whatnot would've come with them or without, they were likely ready to go since before 1.0.1 when the Nerv engine was stupidly hot. I mean, look at the changelog for 1.0.3, it's astounding that was all done within 7 weeks at all, considering the many and varied player bug reports that they needed to nail down, reproduce and then provide a fix for, and also introduce new features as well.

TL;DR - Squad bundling a bunch of new content for the game in sparse releases is probably a lot better overall, seeing as they A, have plenty of time to make sure new content acts as intended and B, make it a worthwhile use of your time and electricity.

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.