Devnote Tuesday: Kerbal Space Program 1.0.5

SQUAD

Oh... seems like the 1.1 update is still a few months away :(

But hey, new parts and fixes are always a good thing :)

Although, my mod heavy 1.0.4 is running stable at the moment, so i'm not sure if i want to update, just to fiddle around with crashes and incompatible mods again.

Deciding to go for 1.0.5 is probably the most mature decision I've yet seen Squad make :)

Even though it's not easy to tell the community that they'll have to wait longer for some of their updates, it makes very good sense from a development perspective to produce smaller packages that have less scope for generating new bugs. Unity 5 is going to be a whole new playground for weird things to start happening and it's very, very sensible to isolate it as much as possible. And of course it doesn't hurt that we'll be getting the bugfixes and features update quite soon - and these seem the least likely to invalidate existing saves.

TLDR; good call, Squad. Personally I might still wait for 1.1 and Unity 5/64-bit, but you've done the right thing in splitting the release :)

Oh... seems like the 1.1 update is still a few months away :(

But hey, new parts and fixes are always a good thing :)

Although, my mod heavy 1.0.4 is running stable at the moment, so i'm not sure if i want to update, just to fiddle around with crashes and incompatible mods again.

I doubt a lot of mods will break with what they have described. Probably none, except those that whine the version numbers aren't identical, but they will probably still work regardless.

an eternal state of “just one or two more weeksâ€Â

Copyright Maddox Games :D

Regarding the release, it's a pleasure to see the new development processes are paying off. Releasing an update while working on another longer term one is not a small feat ;)

If you guys are working on balance and bugfixes try to make CoM for jet engines on middle of part not outside of it ;)

That is actually on purpose, it has to do with the a more realistic jet engine assembly mass distribution. Someone with more knowledge about jet engines would be more suited to explain this, though :)

That is actually on purpose, it has to do with the a more realistic jet engine assembly mass distribution. Someone with more knowledge about jet engines would be more suited to explain this, though :)

It also makes planes that aren't delta-wings viable in the early game... if the mass was all at the back end, everyone would be flying triangles :)

You can have same result after you increase mass of air intakes and decrease mass of jet engines (with CoM on middle).

Because real jet engines have heavier air intakes.

You can have same result after you increase mass of air intakes and decrease mass of jet engines (with CoM on middle).

Because real jet engines have heavier air intakes.

Erm... Actually, the intake is just a tunnel in fuselage\hole in front of the nacelle that serves as an air duct.

In case of jet engines, KSP doesn't model the engine itself - only the exhaust. The engine itself is implied to be inside the fuselage :)

See picture:

Jet_engine.svg

Erm... Actually, the intake is just a tunnel in fuselage\hole in front of the nacelle that serves as an air duct.

In case of jet engines, KSP doesn't model the engine itself - only the exhaust. The engine itself is implied to be inside the fuselage :)

See picture:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4c/Jet_engine.svg

I get this, but like you said KSP cuts part of engine, so reasonable solution would be to increase weight of air intake to balance this. And my solution wouldn't limit usage jet engines for VTOLs, right now it is hard to make CoM of small VTOL in the right place.

While I completely agree with the necessity of the content of those future updates, I keep thinking that they should be one and only one update. By releasing two different updates, I fear that whatever I'll build in 1.0.5 will have to be remade in 1.1. Adding a new thermal system implies that I'm going to re-test all my launchers vehicles to see if they are engineered correctly. Adding a remote-tech feature in-game will probably mess-up all pre-existing unmanned flights that aren't in Kerbin's orbit. More reasons can easily be found for many players that will oblige them to restart their game. So, if 1.0.5 and 1.1 are not separated in time by more than 2 months or so, I would rather wait that time and be sure that whatever I build as a space program in-game won't be for the bin after few weeks.

Edited by Benoît

While I completely agree with the necessity of the content of those future updates, I keep thinking that they should be one and only one update. By releasing two different updates, I fear that whatever I'll build in 1.0.5 will have to be remade in 1.1. Adding a new thermal system implies that I'm going to re-test all my launchers vehicles to see if they are engineered correctly. Adding a remote-tech feature in-game will probably mess-up all pre-existing unmanned flights that aren't in Kerbin's orbit. More reasons can easily be found for many players that will oblige them to restart their game. So, if 1.0.5 and 1.1 are not separated in time by more than 2 months or so, I would rather wait that time and be sure that whatever I build as a space program in-game won't be for the bin after few weeks.

The Antenna Relay feature is an optional one, and can be enabled/disabled from the game options - thus, a player can choose whether (and when) to enable it on their existing savegames. Furthermore, the content in 1.0.5 is the part of the 1.1 update that is ready and compatible with the Unity 4 engine as well, meaning that the engine update in 1.1 does not mean these parts have to be redone: they were designed for that update already.

If RTGs are going to generate heat now I hope the bugs associated with them are fixed at the same time. They currently are just about the first thing to overheat and explode no matter where you put them, even inside cargo and service bays.

I'm not a fan of photo panels (don't like my craft failing just because the sun sets or I go beyond Duna), so RTGs are on nearly all my craft. It would be really handy then to have a couple of variations of them, say in each of the round sizes, with scaled power output to match.

Dont want to hurry with asking for a U5 release - but is there a "not before"-date that you can tell so ppl that are waiting just for that dont have to check every other day and perhaps get disappointed more and more that its not here yet?

Not Complaining about 1.0.5 - just sad that U5 update seems to be further away than expected. A comment like "not within the next 2 month (not guaranteed, but estimated)" would at least help.

No one would complain if it takes 3 or 4 instead of those 2 - but ppl would know whats going on and dont wish for it to happen every new week.

Thanks

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.