Dual Rotor Helicopter

Ah, at last. I've finally made a decent helicopter that runs with 1.04. I wouldn't call it a co-axial rotor helicopter, more of a double bearing rotor but it does the job of a co-axial while being reasonably compact and saves on parts.

vhlh8vC.jpg

6XusHxR.jpg

EA6Uwr7.jpg

I used the infinite offset mod to create this but this was needed to help reduce the part count. Part count is 215 so pretty reasonable. Weight is 57.5 tons.

WiqJv6r.jpg

0w0p3cJ.jpg

iyV4lxv.jpg

U67WglL.jpg

68rikqb.jpg

PqC1TOP.jpg

Simply press space to fire her up, engage SAS and full throttle and you are away. It's not much of a performer in terms of speed but handles pretty well and is perfectly flyable! Don't expect to carry much in the cargo bay though. :)

I've made more powerful versions of this that look more like a turbine, some of which weigh the same but can also lift an extra 80 tons. That's an S3-14400 fuel tank! However they usually drop out of the sky when you slow down and want to descend. Work in progress I guess.

Download here.

Thanks for the compliments! It's not the nicest looking helicopter but it's the best I can do with the limitations of these jets.

1.0.5 is out next week? Cool, I would be up for doing a helicopter challenge! I can't remember the name of the new engines that are supposed to be comparable to the 0.90 basic jets but if the fuel consumption is acceptable then they will be good alternatives.

I have never uploaded something to KerbalX but might consider it.

hmm... you said you used infinite offset, and its clearly visible, but how? i could not find a mod on google, and its not in the debug menu...

If you could put up a link that would be REALLY useful

This is the Holy Grail that you seek: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/121034-1-0-2-May12-NoOffsetLimits-Removes-limits-for-part-offset-in-editor

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.