I'm getting a new computer which would you recomend?

hotmailcompany52

I did just that once, with about the amount of money you have available.

Your biggest enemy is overheating and low processor power. Don\'t choose something that is below 3ghz or 4GB RAM. Also, make sure the fans have space, even if you have to make it stand 1/3 over the edge of a desk.

• 1 year later...

I know this pretty late, but I would tell you to DEFINATELY DO NOT go with an Acer V3.

I paid almost $800 for my V3-771G, for all this "great" hardware usually found in much higher price-pointed laptops....Well, it turns out there is a good reason why this hardware usually cost more in other laptops....Acer obviously cut corners BIG time on the case design....Making the hardware worthless, since i cant take advantage of it.

Mine has an i5-2450, NVIDIA GT630M and 6GB of RAM, yet it cant do multiple windows worth beans...Also, it locks up whenever used RAM gets above 2.5GB...WTH is the point of 6GB of RAM, when the computer isnt even usable just using 2.5?!!

And running KSP??..Forget it!!...I've found out after just a few days, I'm probably done with KSP...Its killing my computer. It overheats and I get maybe 15-20 mins of gameplay before KSP locks up, or worse, I get a BSOD and an immediate shutdown....Sometimes I can get it to limp along for a couple hours, by disconnecting all network connections, and shutting down all but the most basic Windows processes, and setting my resolution to 1280x720 and running KSP windowed.

Dont buy into the Intel TurboBoost...Might be OK for the occasional "boost", but yeah, definately wont do any good for gaming...You'll be looking at an i7 or comparable at the least...and good luck finding one WITH a matching GPU in a laptop for under $1000...

Edited by Stone Blue

The real problem with "store bought" computers is all the bloatware the factory puts on it as default. You gotta do a clean install after you track down all the drivers you need. And don't put anything on it you don't absolutely need. Especially virus scanners. Microsoft has "Microsoft Security Essentials", it's free and it's the only other party besides yourself that wants your computer to operate efficiently. Everyone else has some financial incentive for something to go wrong or slow down over time so you will spend more money. Your Acer might also have a memory problem, or the timing is set to fast for it.

To the OP, given modern hardware (meaning efficient use of electricity), to calculate large numbers of operations per second, you gotta pull some watts out of the electric socket. Use that as a basis of how much a computer can get done (not including things that don't calculate like printers, monitors, etc).

Holy crap people, look at the freaking date (7th June 2012). I usually don't mind necro posts if it's with in a reasonable amount of time, but this is just ridiculous. This topic is probably no longer even relevant.

@Stone Blue

"I know this pretty late"

Your kidding right? This wasn't from 1 month ago, is was from 1 year and 1 month. Don't forget to look at the year.