Steam wont open KSP

When i click on KSP in steam library the little

preparing to launch kerble space program...

Window pops up for 2-3 sec then nothing.

KSP will start if i go to the steam folder and click on the .EXE but then i cannot In Home stream wich is what i want to do.

I tryed a clean install of ksp

Set KSP as Admin

restarted comp

restarted steam

cheacked steam / KSP integrity

Tryed yelling at it.

Fliped off my tower.

Drove to clinic, Got a Flu shot

Yelled at it some more.

Checked drivers.

cheacked steam settings.

Typed this post

The Game works just steam cannot seem to start it.

This happens if a steam file becomes corrupted. What you need to do is to log into your steam account through your desktop icon:

1. Once in the Steam overlay, go to your library list, and click to open it.
  2. Click on the "games" from the drop-down menu.
  3. Right click on the game, in this case, "Kerbal Space Program."
  4. This will open another menu, select "Properties"
  5. Click the "Local Files Tab" and click the button, "Check Integrity of Game Cache"
  6. This will run for up to a minute and a half and give you a new box with a progress meter called "Verifying Steam Files", and when done, it will let you know that "# files are corrupted" or damaged, or missing. the # stands for a number. It will also tell you it will download the files. Depending on the Steam tasks already being performed, it will normally download these as soon as the scan has finished, or if you are performing other Steam functions, it will wait until you click on the KSP icon to play. Simply click the closed button.
  7. Close the "Properties" box
  8. Click on the KSP icon and enjoy.

As a side note, I do this "validation" scan about once every 100 hours of play time. Even if KSP loads normally in Steam, I have recently discovered that memory leaks, poor FPS rates, poor performance issues, even graphics quality can deteriorate because of a corrupted file. Yeah, it takes a little bit of time to do this, but the benefits outweigh the familiar frustration you've shared...

KSP.exe starts but the play button wont work

No play button means no in home streaming meaning i half to play KSP in the closet where the tower is located on its 1276x800 monitor from 1997.

I can open Ksp.exe and game runs fine but the Steam Play Buttion Dose not start the game and Valve "support" is a JOKE

I tryed

Reinstalling steam & KSP

running in every safemode / compatibuility mode

changed what steam trys to open.

Yelled at it

Tied it to a chair and hit a smaller tower with a hammer so it would get the point.

but nothing

Edited by Gothraga

Hi Gothraga,

well, can't really say what the prob is about the Steam Play button. But sure it doesn't depend on KSP, it's with Valve. And I can't even find the issue, that Play button works fine for me.

However, please know what follows: unlike many of the games distributed by Valve, KSP runs on its own = has absolutely no need to be run from Steam. You can even take the whole KSP install folder from the SteamApps library, and move anywhere on your machine: KSP will still work just as fine if launched through its own launcher.exe or directly from KSP.exe (even if those are run through a link you may create yourself). And actually making your own links is the best way to allow for customization of how the game can be run (allowing any of the Unity CommandLine Arguments to be associated with the link).

KSP runs on its own.

I know and i can run KSP just fine, but i have my Comp/Network setup around the in home streaming ability. the comp with my games on it sits in the corner of a closet next to the junction box i installed. so if i want to play KSP from it i half to do that in a freaking closet.

The prob is The folks at the Steam fourm say come here, i say its not KSP the game from the KSP.exe Starts and runs for hours just fine.

i cannot get anyone at steam support to read my issue and so now i'm stuck. the worst part is all my other games work so i can stream them to the liveing room, my den, the kitchen i just cannot get this damn thing to freaking work through steam.... sorry i'm just vary unhappy about all the time i've spent on this.

Idea:

Is there any way to get steam to install a Old copy like a beta or alpha copy of KSP?

- - - Updated - - -

I just tryed something i copyed the KSP folder to desktop

changed the folder name to kerbal space program2

changed the KSP.exe to KSP2.exe

Changed KSP_Data to KSP2_data

then loaded KSP "2" into steam with Add None-steam game to my library.

Steam still cannot open the "None-steam Copy" but like before KSP2.exe still works.

Can see the in home streaming comes from Steam, KSP has nothing really to do with it. Probably that's also why other users don't report issues with the Play button, if they don't use in home streaming.

Can't see a way to install a KSP beta (or even alpha) through Steam. The only possibility is to choose the previous "stable release" rather than the current one, but it's already 4 releases since KSP went out of beta. It could be possible to ask Squad for a beta release (against proof of purchase for KSP) and the zipped file would be made available to you, but not through Steam. Can't say Steam would allow such KSP copy to be run through its streaming system, if even a copy out of Steam itself has issues.

Sorry to not be able to help. Hope Steam/Valve listens and solves the issue.

Merged threads, again.

Gothraga, does KSP start when you double click it in the Steam client on your tower PC?

If it does then Steam is itself working.

Edit:

I have asked around and another member is able to get KSP to work via Steam in-house streaming, he had no issues and everything worked fine, so it seems Valve has fixed the mouse issue here.

Unless there is a Steam error log of some kind I am afraid we cannot help you, and I wouldn't know what to look for in a Steam log anyway.

You will have to contact Steam support for this issue, as Steam is nothing to do with Squad.

Edited by sal_vager

Ok All i've got something here!

Here's my problem When i click Play in steam KSP will not start BUT! when i click on KSP.EXE it will startup and run just fine!

Now I checked the event Viewer and when i did i found the every time i was clicking play in steam a error log was being Generated.

System info

Ksp 1.0.4 unmodded

windows 10 64 bit

16gb ram Nvidia GTX 650 TI

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Faulting application name: KSP.exe, version: 4.6.4.63619, time stamp: 0x55115266

Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x05730c41

Faulting process id: 0xf6c

Faulting application start time: 0x01d10231e195d772

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP.exe

Faulting module path: unknown

Report Id: 5158e35c-4c10-49d3-85cd-58e4f8b02c8f

Faulting package full name:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Detail's

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

- <System>

<Provider Name="Application Error" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>100</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-10-09T01:29:03.000000000Z" />

<EventRecordID>4043</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>BBDVBE-DTPC</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

- <EventData>

<Data>KSP.exe</Data>

<Data>4.6.4.63619</Data>

<Data>55115266</Data>

<Data>unknown</Data>

<Data>0.0.0.0</Data>

<Data>00000000</Data>

<Data>c0000005</Data>

<Data>05730c41</Data>

<Data>f6c</Data>

<Data>01d10231e195d772</Data>

<Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP.exe</Data>

<Data>unknown</Data>

<Data>5158e35c-4c10-49d3-85cd-58e4f8b02c8f</Data>

<Data />

<Data />

</EventData>

</Event>

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any ideas?

Edited by sal_vager

i found this in event viewer. Who is the jack ass that marked this NOT FIXABLE..... Pls remove the tag

Faulting application name: KSP.exe, version: 4.6.4.63619, time stamp: 0x55115266

Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x05780c41

Faulting process id: 0x1708

Faulting application start time: 0x01d1022eeec53ed8

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP.exe

Faulting module path: unknown

Report Id: 73910a4b-c5fb-422f-9a6e-f825731cdfde

Faulting package full name:

- System

- Provider

[ Name] Application Error

- EventID 1000

[ Qualifiers] 0

Level 2

Task 100

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2015-10-09T01:07:57.000000000Z

EventRecordID 4031

Channel Application

Computer BBDVBE-DTPC

Security

- EventData

KSP.exe

unknown

c0000005

05780c41

01d1022eeec53ed8

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP.exe

unknown

73910a4b-c5fb-422f-9a6e-f825731cdfde

- - - Updated - - -

im starting over pls see

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/136255-Round-2%21-KSP-crash-when-starting-from-steam

for more info

Edited by Gothraga

Merged threads.

Do any of your other Steam games work or do you only have KSP?

Please run Dxdiag and click "save all information", copy the file contents to Hastebin.com, save it then post the new URL from Hastebin here.

Edit:

Do you have another computer you can test this on? I am thinking that this is specific to the machine you are using.

Edited by sal_vager

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.