Falcon and an Isreali team are going to the moon.

PB666

Hopping lander? Oh well so much for rovers.

"Hopping across various areas we refer to as 'biomes,' so we refer to it as 'biome hopping'--a process we're planning to patent"

I'm just waiting for that to float up in the press.

I wonder how many of these Lunar X Prize missions will actually get off the ground.

I'm betting one, same as the Ansari X prize.

It wouldn't get too far in lunar gravity, and would have a high chance of getting stuck. Given they need to move at least 500m to get the prize, too high-risk.

"Hopping across various areas we refer to as 'biomes,' so we refer to it as 'biome hopping'--a process we're planning to patent"

Can't, its already a common practice, I've already mentioned it several times with my Super-TN Rocket that can hop four times before refueling.

Hoppy birthday to you, hoppy .. . . . common things eventually can't enforce patents.

It has a docking port, doesn't it? Who says it has to be a single launch mission?

And what's it going to dock with? To land on the Moon, a Dragon would need a descent stage and an ascent stage, both much larger than the Apollo LM because Dragon is much heavier. It's a silly idea and a non-starter.

Why does every thread have to turn into a SpaceX jerkfest ?

I'll be darned if someone didn't think of this idea only AFTER playing KSP.

I'll be darned if someone didn't think of this idea only AFTER playing KSP.

You mean like trying to right your horizontal space craft by using the reactions wheels and rolling all the way to a regions lowpoint instead. Then giving up, turning off the gravity in the debug window, bouncing up in the air and landing, only to unhack gravity and have your kerbal knock the rocket over agian trying to get back in the capsule. Repeat the process several times before realizing that landing struts mounted on standouts are a much better idea. Better at least if you dont want to waste alot of weight adding RCS and thrusters. All the while you've amassed considerable practice zeroing horizontal dV and submetric touch down velocities. Nah, that type of training could never result in a hopping design.

On a more serious note, you would know it was KSP inspired if the places they hopped from to were considerably different enough to qualify as 'omes', and if they managed to do this more than once.

You mean like trying to right your horizontal space craft by using the reactions wheels and rolling all the way to a regions lowpoint instead. Then giving up, turning off the gravity in the debug window, bouncing up in the air and landing, only to unhack gravity and have your kerbal knock the rocket over agian trying to get back in the capsule. Repeat the process several times before realizing that landing struts mounted on standouts are a much better idea. Better at least if you dont want to waste alot of weight adding RCS and thrusters. All the while you've amassed considerable practice zeroing horizontal dV and submetric touch down velocities. Nah, that type of training could never result in a hopping design.

I was thinking more along the lines of rovers with 'jump jets,' but that works too. :cool:

Anchor capstan and a 500m long thin cable.

Hovering, putting an acnhor, flying 501 m away, landing, crawling to the anchor - coiling the cable onto the drum. Oh, yes, and a pair of toy wheels to show that this is a rover.

... then they would never get home again!

Was that required by the competition conditions?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.