Docking ports: just how do they work???

I've been playing KSP for over a year, and I'm quite confortable with building all sorts of rockets and space planes.

I've also watched a lot of tutorials, including tutorials about docking ports. Most of the time, these tutorials tell you how to succeed at docking maneuvers, and they just tell you "don't put the docking port backwards k thx lol"

But my issue is much more primitive and I just don't understand the basics of docking ports. It's probably so simple that nobody even bothers explaining.

Scenario of my issues:

- I put a docking port on, let's say, a fuel tank. With the docking bit outwards, as expected.

- That's when the problem starts : I try to put the other half of the docking port (this time with the docking bit inwards). More often than not, this bit doesn't attach properly. It's either not centered, or sometimes it's half inside the other docking port (it's too deep or somztimes not deep enoug, not even touching it).

- Then when I launch the rocket, sometimes I right-click on the docking port and it doesn't offer the option "decouple".

- even when it decouples, then sometimes it's like the port is now "dead" and I can't attach it anymore (even if I "set as target" the other docking port).

Long things short: I'm baffled by the little devils. I feel like the root cause is just that I'm missing the building good practice, or that the bugs in the 3D editor prevent the parts from being in the correct position.

Does anyone have an extensive guide about docking ports? As I said, NOT about docking maneuvers, but about HOW to put them on a rocket? Docking ports 101.

Edited by jeancallisti

I try to put the other half of the docking port (this time with the docking bit inwards). More often than not, this bit doesn't attach properly. It's either not centered, or sometimes it's half inside the other docking port (it's too deep or somztimes not deep enoug, not even touching it).

It sounds like you're radially attaching the 2nd port to either the first port or the thing the first port is attached to, or possibly not attaching the first port to a node, and the 2nd port is snapping to that node.

I suggest doing this: Hold down ALT. This will force KSP to only attach things to nodes, and won't let you attach radially. This will guarantee your first docking port is attached to the nearby node (if necessary) and also guarantee your 2nd docking port is attaching to the node on th

- Then when I launch the rocket, sometimes I right-click on the docking port and it doesn't offer the option "decouple".

This happens even with correctly placed docking ports. I've never had it happen to BOTH ports, however.

- even when it decouples, then sometimes it's like the port is now "dead" and I can't attach it anymore (even if I "set as target" the other docking port).

Never had this problem, so can't speak on it.

I had this happen once. See http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/125115-Can-t-dock. My solution was to edit the persistent file because the port was stuck on "acquired" when it should have been "ready". Instructions are below.

1) Open your persistent.sfs file for your save game in Notepad (TextEdit in Mac or your text editor of choice - but not MS Word).

2) Search for the string "state = Acquired".

3) If you come across this string, change it to read "state = Ready"

4) Save the file.

When you decouple two attached docking ports, whay they only do is turn off the "magnets" so that you can move away from the other ship. The thing is they keep being turned off for you to get away from the ship without redocking straight away.

For the magnets to reactivate you have to back off a few metres from the decoupled ship, and then you can redock with it.

And when two decouplers are docked, normally, there is only one which has the option "decouple" on the right-click menu.

The ports need to be mirror images of each other to work.

Prawaca.png

8ZdgN3v.png

If one is backwards, which seems to be what you are describing, they will not attach during flight. If assembled that way, the other parts are probably attaching improperly across the docking rings, making a solid connection that can't be undocked.

On this one, I've had a very similar problem a few times now on my space station. I r-click and select "undock", then nothing happens. I try it again and now the undock option no longer appears. It's apparently a long standing bug. This fix works great, but I pity you trying to use it if you don't have a good understanding of the Steam/Kerbal file directory tree, or how to search and edit using Notepad etc..

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/78863-FIX-Dock-Undocking-Bug-in-0-23-5

As for parts not attaching properly, they will have a slight red hazy appearance. But to be sure, I just click on the root part and move the whole rocket a little. Just like you do to move the rocket up or down. If the part in question doesn't move with the rocket, then it's not properly attached.

GL

BOTH docking ports have to be outwards. The 'out' sides are what dock together. They need to kiss.

Yes, of course. When I wrote that the second port is inward, I meant relatively to the first port.

Press the Alt key to force node-attaching

Now THAT is cool. It's a well-known trick but I didn't think about it in this specific situation.

For the magnets to reactivate you have to back off a few metres from the decoupled ship, and then you can redock with it.

Good to know. Maybe I was just going a few inches during my tests.

there is only one which has the option "decouple" on the right-click menu.

Good to know! I never noticed.

It sounds like you're radially attaching the 2nd port

I didn't know the constuction system could happen to be fooled that way. Good to know, I'll be super careful.

Thanks to you all for your answers! I'm sure that now. I'll have much, much less issues!!! SOLVED.

EDIT: how do I set this to "SOLVED"? woops.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.