[Min KSP 1.12.2] Buffalo: NASA Inspired Modular Space Exploration Vehicle

Angelo Kerman

Can someone help me with what is happening here? Last couple of days I keep checking on this guy who is supposed to be mining and converting to monoprop. Every time I come back, he seems stuck and I'll restart everything and leave again only to come back and again no progress. I finally sat and watched what was happening and it appears to be mining and converting but neither the monoprop not ore values are being incremented correctly. Another oddity is the ISRU says its converter is "Operational" but gives no load factor that it usually shows.

I looked in the log, I see lots of WBI warnings, they seem all related to not finding parts on objects but the reason appears to be that said object isn't supposed to have those parts in its current configuration. If that's the case, that should probably be suppressed as I'm not sure what it's telling anyone.

The only errors I saw don't seem to have anything to do with what's happening with my Buffalo, although it does seem to be a problem: there are literally a couple thousand of these:

[ERR 15:41:17.196] Module WBIFlexFuelPack threw during OnUpdate: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at WildBlueIndustries.WBIFlexFuelPack.OnUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Part.ModulesOnUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

[ERR 15:41:17.202] Module WBIFlexFuelPack threw during OnUpdate: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at WildBlueIndustries.WBIFlexFuelPack.OnUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

[ERR 15:41:17.396] Module WBIFlexFuelPack threw during OnUpdate: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

[ERR 15:41:17.403] Module WBIFlexFuelPack threw during OnUpdate: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

[ERR 15:41:17.637] Module WBIFlexFuelPack threw during OnUpdate: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

[ERR 15:41:17.643] Module WBIFlexFuelPack threw during OnUpdate: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Considering there are only two of them total in existence in my little universe, that's impressive.

Here is what I'm seeing. Note the monoprop values progressing up to the point they should increment and then just rolling over to 0 again.

EDIT: 1) Oops, thought I was recording at higher res there but I think you can still see what is happening. 2) This is 1.30 and Buffalo 2.2.

Edited by vossiewulf

Still trying to figure this out and am confused. What I just did was run up the ore tanks (so the ore IS incrementing correctly) to almost full and then turned on the ISRU for monoprop, then turned that off and turned on the LF/Ox converter.

What I didn't notice before because it's hard to see (black text on dark green??), is that no matter which one I turn on, a drain equal to the conversion rate shows in the resource meters. It was running at -1.23 for monoprop, a bit less for LF/Ox, but it's like someone is opening a valve and just pouring out whatever comes out of that ISRU.

So, I'm guessing this is something very stupid I'm missing.

Edited by vossiewulf
Previous info incorrect

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, vossiewulf said:

Is there a problem with this question? Do you need more info? BTW, I could not get it to work and gave up, switched the drills to metal ore mining and they're now feeding the Hacienda Iron Works, and I have an inactive ISRU.

I've been horsing around with a Buffalo "Mun Explorer" using Buffalo Drill, ISRU, and 1 or 2 chassis pieces set as Ore tanks. This setup works well in KSP 1.2.2 for me with no issues, well not quite: the first version exploded beacause I overheated everything... So here are my notes and fixes:

1- Buffalo ISRU processes ore (at low surface concentrations) way faster than a single Buffalo drill can extract it. Added more drills in Mun Explorer Mk iii.

2- Heat is an issue!  have scads of radiators! Like Stock Mediums or several Hotplates from DSEV or grab a bunch from CX Aerospace. Like 2 per device seems to work. I prefer the Hotplates due to their size and they had a look I liked.

3- Bring a S.A.F.E.R reactor (all of Angel's mods have it included).

4- Are you running BARIS? I yes, maybe disable it and check to see if your setup works. BARIS thread has and awesome wiki linked to it.

Let me know what happens

Edited by smotheredrun
typo

3 hours ago, smotheredrun said:

I've been horsing around with a Buffalo "Mun Explorer" using Buffalo Drill, ISRU, and 1 or 2 chassis pieces set as Ore tanks. This setup works well in KSP 1.2.2 for me with no issues, well not quite: the first version exploded beacause I overheated everything... So here are my notes and fixes:

1- Buffalo ISRU processes ore (at low surface concentrations) way faster than a single Buffalo drill can extract it. Added more drills in Mun Explorer Mk iii.

2- Heat is an issue!  have scads of radiators! Like Stock Mediums or several Hotplates from DSEV or grab a bunch from CX Aerospace. Like 2 per device seems to work. I prefer the Hotplates due to their size and they had a look I liked.

3- Bring a S.A.F.E.R reactor (all of Angel's mods have it included).

4- Are you running BARIS? I yes, maybe disable it and check to see if your setup works. BARIS thread has and awesome wiki linked to it.

Let me know what happens

Thanks for the quick response. Yeah I'm aware of the ISRU conversion rate, to me it seems like it should be cranked down a notch or the drills up a bit, because you can run four drills on 11% ore concentration and still come nowhere close to loading the ISRU. But that's a designer's choice and I assume it's intended to be that way for reasons I may not be aware of.

Yes, I nearly melted the first Buffalo before I got control of the heating. I didn't mention that this is one of TWO Buffalos at this base. The first one is busy converting  into LF/O and Mono and everything is working fine and has continued to work fine. Only this second one was having a problem, and the problem looks buggy - everything is reported as normal, it's intaking ore and saying it's working, but the resulting fuels never get delivered anywhere- just disappears into the Mun sand as far as I can tell. I tried turning it off and on, drilling while standalone and while KAS-attached to the base, resetting all the drills, basically if there was a relevant button I pushed it at least once.

Pic of current base status, we have a Packrat, a V2,0... um not the Honey Badger, the Puma? Then two Buffalos and also my battlecruiser-class new mining rover that is a monster in every sense of the word. Plus I built those giant LH2 storage/light towers on that teeny little EL launchpad and had to move them into place, yeah that wasn't easy :)

3qNKQsNl.png

I love everything about the S.A.F.E.R. reactors except typing their names. The base has one, it also has gobs of solar and battery.

I am not yet running BARIS, but my intention was that when my new very fast laptop arrives tomorrow that I'm going to start a career with the 2 billlion years before Kerbin mod and BARIS and one or more of the graphics improvement mods, but those have me pretty confused; there seem to be a couple dozen, half of which include half of the rest.

Edited by vossiewulf
Added pic

• 3 weeks later...

For whatever reason, I tend not to include sample ships in my games, liking the trial and error sort of creation, so when I got a mission in career mode to test the larger tilt-rotor, I had to do some figuring to get it to fit on a compact Buffalo and balance the thrusts.  This is the result.  It flies surprisingly fast, is fairly agile, and with the right usage of action groups, it switches from vertical to horizontal flight fairly well.  Looks a bit mad, though.

Hr1dMcT.png
woOQ56S.png

• 2 weeks later...

A small bit of feedback on the Buffalo rovers and a part suggestion as a result. The rovers are substantially more stable to drive when using the "Buffalo Chassis (2U)" horizontally and offset to re-center them while still allowing the ladders to clear the wheels. perhaps  you might wish to consider adding a second, centralised, attachment node to the 2U to allow it to be centrally mounted. With central mounting nodes on the long, side and on the top/bottom you could use them to widen the wheelbase where needed while still having the single width pieces for sections without wheels.

5 hours ago, WintericeUK said:

A small bit of feedback on the Buffalo rovers and a part suggestion as a result. The rovers are substantially more stable to drive when using the "Buffalo Chassis (2U)" horizontally and offset to re-center them while still allowing the ladders to clear the wheels. perhaps  you might wish to consider adding a second, centralised, attachment node to the 2U to allow it to be centrally mounted. With central mounting nodes on the long, side and on the top/bottom you could use them to widen the wheelbase where needed while still having the single width pieces for sections without wheels.

I also like the wheel base of the 2U chassis, usually use a 1 and 2 half pieces to get the same effect, but it does stack up part count over time.

On 10/14/2017 at 7:10 PM, WintericeUK said:

On 10/15/2017 at 12:51 AM, Krakatoa said:

I also like the wheel base of the 2U chassis, usually use a 1 and 2 half pieces to get the same effect, but it does stack up part count over time.

Seconded on all counts, though I'd also add that having additional nodes at such close range may make getting parts to snap to the right nodes a little finicky. :)Probably, if there was a function to swap to an alternate set of nodes for wide mount via a PAW toggle?

Also, I'm having an issue with the Jetwing: I've loaded the parts into a Buckboard container, and I've figured out how to assemble it on the surface, but when I do, the Jetwing and the fuel tanks are set without fuel in them, so I can't fly. Is this a bug? Should I be able to put the pieces in the container with fuel in them? Or am I missing a step in the process where I'm supposed to add fuel on the surface?

1 hour ago, CaptainPanda said:

I love these parts, and I love the Heisenberg Airships and Bison Modules, too! Which resource mod do you guys recommend to work best with these parts?

1 hour ago, CaptainPanda said:

Also, I'm having an issue with the Jetwing: I've loaded the parts into a Buckboard container, and I've figured out how to assemble it on the surface, but when I do, the Jetwing and the fuel tanks are set without fuel in them, so I can't fly. Is this a bug? Should I be able to put the pieces in the container with fuel in them? Or am I missing a step in the process where I'm supposed to add fuel on the surface?

Not sure what you mean by resource mod; Pathfinder has a bunch of buildings and resource chains; the Buffalo was originally just going to be part of Pathfinder but I made it available separately.

As for the JetWing, the idea is that you use KIS to attach it to a vessel and fuel it up before detaching it again and climbing aboard.

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

Not sure what you mean by resource mod; Pathfinder has a bunch of buildings and resource chains; the Buffalo was originally just going to be part of Pathfinder but I made it available separately.

As for the JetWing, the idea is that you use KIS to attach it to a vessel and fuel it up before detaching it again and climbing aboard.

Ah, my bad. i thought that the Ore and Drill parts and things were designed to work with mods like Kethane and Karbonite. I guess I'm off to download Pathfinder, next!

Did a little searching, didn't find anything, so in case it's useful, here is a patch that (probably, kind of) makes the Buffalo wings (and other aero parts) work more nicely with FAR:

@PART[WBI_BuffaloWingType1]:FOR[FerramAerospaceResearch]
{
	@maximum_drag = 0
    @minimum_drag = 0
    @angularDrag = 0
    !dragCoeff = DELETE
    !deflectionLiftCoeff = DELETE
    !MODULE[ModuleLiftingSurface] {}
	%MODULE[FARWingAerodynamicModel]
	{
		%b_2 = 2.34375		//distance from wing root to tip; semi-span  
		%MAC = 1.6875			//Mean Aerodynamic Chord  			  
		%TaperRatio = 1
		%MidChordSweep = 0
	}
}
@PART[WBI_BuffaloWingType2]:FOR[FerramAerospaceResearch]
{
	@maximum_drag = 0
    @minimum_drag = 0
    @angularDrag = 0
    !dragCoeff = DELETE
	{
		%b_2 = 1.1719			//distance from wing root to tip; semi-span  
		%MAC = 1.6875				//Mean Aerodynamic Chord  			  
		%TaperRatio = 1
		%MidChordSweep = 0
	}
}
@PART[WBI_BuffaloWingType3]:FOR[FerramAerospaceResearch]
{
	@maximum_drag = 0
    @minimum_drag = 0
    @angularDrag = 0
    !dragCoeff = DELETE
	{
		%b_2 = 0.586				//distance from wing root to tip; semi-span  
		%MAC = 1.6875				//Mean Aerodynamic Chord  			  
		%TaperRatio = 1
		%MidChordSweep = 0
	}
}
@PART[WBI_BuffaloWingType4]:FOR[FerramAerospaceResearch]
{
	@maximum_drag = 0
    @minimum_drag = 0
    @angularDrag = 0
    !dragCoeff = DELETE
	{
		%b_2 = 1.3394		//distance from wing root to tip; semi-span  
		%MAC = 0.7232		//Mean Aerodynamic Chord  			  
		%TaperRatio = 1
		%MidChordSweep = 0
	}
}
@PART[BuffaloWinglet]:FOR[FerramAerospaceResearch]
{
	@maximum_drag = 0
	@minimum_drag = 0
	@angularDrag = 0
	@dragCoeff = 0
	@deflectionLiftCoeff = 0
	@ctrlSurfaceRange = 0
	@ctrlSurfaceArea = 0
	MODULE
	{
		name = FARControllableSurface
		MAC = 1.0488
		MidChordSweep = 27.6
		maxdeflect = 15
		b_2 = 1.1104
		TaperRatio = 0.58
	}
}
@PART[BuffaloCanard]:FOR[FerramAerospaceResearch]
{
	@maximum_drag = 0
	@minimum_drag = 0
	@angularDrag = 0
	@dragCoeff = 0
	@deflectionLiftCoeff = 0
	@ctrlSurfaceRange = 0
	@ctrlSurfaceArea = 0
	MODULE
	{
		name = FARControllableSurface
		MAC = 0.5244
		MidChordSweep = 27.6
		maxdeflect = 15
		b_2 = 0.5552
		TaperRatio = 0.58
	}
}
@PART[BuffaloElevon1]:FOR[FerramAerospaceResearch]:FINAL 
{
    @maximum_drag = 0
    @minimum_drag = 0
    @angularDrag = 0
    !MODULE[ModuleControlSurface] {}
    %MODULE[FARControllableSurface] {
        %b_2 = 1.4208
        %MAC = 0.747
        %TaperRatio = 1
        %MidChordSweep = 0
        %nonSideAttach = 1
        %maxdeflect = 20
        %ctrlSurfFrac = 1
        %transformName = Elevon4
        %rootMidChordOffsetFromOrig = 0, 0.09375, 0
    }
}

On 11/1/2017 at 8:10 PM, CaptainPanda said:

Has the Buffalo Assembly Port been removed? I'm trying to build a rover on the Mun with the wheel jack, but I can't figure out how to work it.

Hasn't been removed. You can also build out the body first, add ground stabilizers, and then use the ground stabilizers to jack up the body and install the chassis and wheels. :)

7 hours ago, buckykat said:

The tooltip on the Buffalo wheel jack refers to a "Buffalo Assembly Port" with a "red side" which must be up but the imgur album says to attach the chassis piece directly to the wheel jack.

That's out of date due to changes in the game. If you use the wheel jack, you'll need to attach a docking port to the wheel jack's top, with the hatch facing the wheel jack.

Meanwhile, Buffalo is almost feature complete, which is why you haven't seen many updates lately. I'm working on DSEV for the time being, but last night I was able to make a part that I've wanted since the start of Pathfinder: A micro-ISRU!

5oiqGs6.png

Its capability is limited; it can only produce one resource at a time and it is slow, but it comes with its own solar panel to power the converter.

2 hours ago, Krakatoa said:

@Angel-125 Would you consider adding KIS carry weight boosting parts? Or even just that bit of code to something like the Buffalo grappler arm? It would be right handy to have something that allows you to manipulate heavier objects. It'd be great to be able to move past the Konstruction mod.

I would need to speak with @IgorZ on how to do that. I think the carry weight is set and not changeable at runtime. If it is then I can look at making a part that does that.

42 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

I would need to speak with @IgorZ on how to do that. I think the carry weight is set and not changeable at runtime. If it is then I can look at making a part that does that.

USI does it with the PAL parts from Konstruction. Here's the bit for the crane. You can use the Konstruction parts like actual cranes, forklifts, etc, but just having them near the part lets the Kerbal act as though they have extra strength.

@PART[PAL_Crane]:NEEDS[KIS]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleKISPickup
        allowPartAttach = true
        allowStaticAttach = false
        allowPartStack = false
        maxDistance = 16
        grabMaxMass = 6
        dropSndPath = KIS/Sounds/drop
        attachPartSndPath = KIS/Sounds/attachPart
        detachPartSndPath= KIS/Sounds/detachPart
        attachStaticSndPath= KIS/Sounds/attachStatic
        detachStaticSndPath= KIS/Sounds/detachStatic
    }
}

I could make the PR if you like.

ETA: After I make sure it works that way.

Edited by Krakatoa

13 hours ago, Krakatoa said:

USI does it with the PAL parts from Konstruction. Here's the bit for the crane. You can use the Konstruction parts like actual cranes, forklifts, etc, but just having them near the part lets the Kerbal act as though they have extra strength.

@PART[PAL_Crane]:NEEDS[KIS]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleKISPickup
        allowPartAttach = true
        allowStaticAttach = false
        allowPartStack = false
        maxDistance = 16
        grabMaxMass = 6
        dropSndPath = KIS/Sounds/drop
        attachPartSndPath = KIS/Sounds/attachPart
        detachPartSndPath= KIS/Sounds/detachPart
        attachStaticSndPath= KIS/Sounds/attachStatic
        detachStaticSndPath= KIS/Sounds/detachStatic
    }
}

I could make the PR if you like.

ETA: After I make sure it works that way.

Thanks, I'll have to make a new part to handle that.

Meanwhile, Buffalo 2.3.0 is now available:

New Part
- Micro ISRU (Advanced Science Tech): This Buckboard-sized ISRU is capable of producing only one resource at a time but it comes with its own built-in advanced solar panel to power the conversion process.

Bug Fixes & Enhancements
- Fixed missing power requirements for the Buffalo Drill.

BTW: I wrote the KIS patch for Konstruction.  If you have any questions, I'd be glad to help.  In some ways it's a bit of a hack - KIS just views Kerbals as a part which happens to have a ModuleKISPickup module on it.  So if you add that module, they act as another Kerbal, and Kerbals can help each other carry things...  (And only Engineers can carry tools to attach things, so you don't need to worry about that.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.