[Min KSP 1.12.2] Buffalo: NASA Inspired Modular Space Exploration Vehicle

Angelo Kerman

[quote name='jeffQC1']Hey great mod there! But i have a problem:

Whenever the game try to load the Jetwing, it stuck. The game by itself is not freezing, but it wont load any further. I've tried to re-download and retry many times, didn't worked. As soon as i put out the file Jetwing.cfg, the game load and play normally. But i really want that jetwing. Any help would be very great.

I first thinked that it could be an error with Active Texture Management, but it wasn't the case.

I have windows 7 64 bit, KSP is 1.0.4 and i played it with 32 bit.

Thanks![/QUOTE]
Make sure to download from GitHub, not CKAN. I no longer support CKAN. Also, if you have a Module Manager cache, delete that as well. Look for ModuleManager.ConfigCache, ModuleManager.Physics, ModuleManager.ConfigSHA, and ModuleManager.TechTree. See if that helps. If not, hang tight, this weekend I'll have a small update. Since the forums will be down, watch for AVC/KerbalStuff notifications.

[quote name='Angel-125']Make sure to download from GitHub, not CKAN. I no longer support CKAN. Also, if you have a Module Manager cache, delete that as well. Look for ModuleManager.ConfigCache, ModuleManager.Physics, ModuleManager.ConfigSHA, and ModuleManager.TechTree. See if that helps. If not, hang tight, this weekend I'll have a small update. Since the forums will be down, watch for AVC/KerbalStuff notifications.[/QUOTE]

no more CKAN?? why? what happened?

[quote name='Denko666']no more CKAN?? why? what happened?[/QUOTE]

For whatever reason CKAN does not always install the latest of everything and as a result I get a bunch of support issues. If there was a setting that would force it to install everything regardless of what CKAN thinks it should install, that would go a long way. But for now the bestimate way to make sure you get all of the latest is to install manually from GitHub or KerbalStuff.

[COLOR="silver"][SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='jeffQC1']I've give it a try, didn't worked. Thanks anyway men, all the rest of the mod runs 100% fine, so, i'm gonna have to deal with it. Too bad, tho.[/QUOTE]
Hang tight I will have another update this weekend.

Ok, here's the latest. [removed link to defunct website]. I'm on my laptop so I'll have GitHub and such updated later...

0.2.4 Flight by Erik Groysman
This update has some minor tweaks and bug fixes to the JetWing. It is still experimental but the flight controls are a little easier to use.

JetWing
- When you load the flight scene, the JetWing will look at what fuel you're using and set up the engine mode automatically.
- Improved the jet flame effects for liquid fuel mode.
- You can now re-bind the hover control keys. Simply right-click on the wing, click "Show GUI" to display the on-screen hover controls, and click the gear button to display the hover controls keyboard mapper.
- Moved center of thrust a little lower to make the wing a bit easier to fly.
- JetWing's art assets and config files are now in the Buffalo/Parts/JetWing folder. You can safely delete all other folders in the Buffalo/Parts folder as well as the Buffalo/Spaces folder and Buffalo/Assets folder if all you want is the JetWing.

Outback
- The Outback's art assets and part file are now self-contained in the Buffalo/Parts/Outback folder.

8 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Where what? Don't keep me in suspense! ;)

On Bobcat's old American Pack he had his LER rover and your wheels look real close but his you could turn them half way and drive sideways lol her is the cfg to it

PART
{
name = LER_Wheel
module = Part
author = BobCat
mesh = model.mu
scale = 1
rescaleFactor = 1

node_stack_bottom = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1
//node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 0.0

TechRequired = advRocketry
entryCost = 500
cost = 300
category = Utility
subcategory = 0
title = LER Wheel
manufacturer = BobCat ind
description = 

attachRules = 1,0,0,0,0

mass = 0.05
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.3
minimum_drag = 0.2
angularDrag = 1
crashTolerance = 7
maxTemp = 3600 

crashTolerance = 100
breakingForce = 80
breakingTorque = 80

MODULE
{
	name = ModuleWheel
	hasMotor = true
	resourceName = ElectricCharge
        resourceConsumptionRate = 0.3
	canSteer = true
	controlAxisType = Forward
	steeringModeType = AutomaticSteer
	brakeTorque = 50
	brakeSpeed = 1
	impactTolerance = 200
	overSpeedDamage = 40

WHEEL
	{
	    wheelName = wheel
	    wheelColliderName = wheelCollider
	    suspensionTransformName = suspensionTraverse
	    suspensionNeutralPointName = suspensionNeutralPoint
	    damagedObjectName = bustedwheel
	    rotateX = 0
	    rotateY = -1
	    rotateZ = 0
	}

steeringCurve
 	{
   	 key = 0 18
	 key = 6 5
         key = 12 2
 	}

torqueCurve
	{
	  key = 0 20 0 0 
	  key = 6 10 0 0
	  key = 13 0 0 0
	}

}

MODULE
{
	name = FXModuleConstrainPosition
	matchRotation = true
	matchPosition = false
	CONSTRAINFX
	{
		targetName = steering
		moversName = Tracksteering
	}

}

MODULE
{
	name = FXModuleLookAtConstraint
	CONSTRAINLOOKFX
	{
		targetName = 1-2
		rotatorsName = 1-1
	}

CONSTRAINLOOKFX
	{
		targetName = 2-2
		rotatorsName = 2-1
	}

CONSTRAINLOOKFX
	{
		targetName = 3-1
		rotatorsName = 3-2
	}

CONSTRAINLOOKFX
	{
		targetName = 3-2
		rotatorsName = 3-1
	}

CONSTRAINLOOKFX
	{
		targetName = 5-2
		rotatorsName = 5-1
	}
}

MODULE
{
   name = ModuleAnimateGeneric
   animationName = LER_wheel
   startEventGUIName = Rotate Wheel
   endEventGUIName = Rotate Wheel Back
}

}

EDIT- Ok how do we make like the old forums

? [code]
Edited by Mecripp2

On 11/29/2015, 9:07:58, MeCripp said:
38 minutes ago, MeCripp said:

On Bobcat's old American Pack he had his LER rover and your wheels look real close but his you could turn them half way and drive sideways lol her is the cfg to it

PART
{
name = LER_Wheel
module = Part
author = BobCat
mesh = model.mu
scale = 1
rescaleFactor = 1

node_stack_bottom = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1
//node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 0.0

TechRequired = advRocketry
entryCost = 500
cost = 300
category = Utility
subcategory = 0
title = LER Wheel
manufacturer = BobCat ind
description = 

attachRules = 1,0,0,0,0

mass = 0.05
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.3
minimum_drag = 0.2
angularDrag = 1
crashTolerance = 7
maxTemp = 3600 

crashTolerance = 100
breakingForce = 80
breakingTorque = 80

MODULE
{
	name = ModuleWheel
	hasMotor = true
	resourceName = ElectricCharge
        resourceConsumptionRate = 0.3
	canSteer = true
	controlAxisType = Forward
	steeringModeType = AutomaticSteer
	brakeTorque = 50
	brakeSpeed = 1
	impactTolerance = 200
	overSpeedDamage = 40

WHEEL
	{
	    wheelName = wheel
	    wheelColliderName = wheelCollider
	    suspensionTransformName = suspensionTraverse
	    suspensionNeutralPointName = suspensionNeutralPoint
	    damagedObjectName = bustedwheel
	    rotateX = 0
	    rotateY = -1
	    rotateZ = 0
	}

steeringCurve
 	{
   	 key = 0 18
	 key = 6 5
         key = 12 2
 	}

torqueCurve
	{
	  key = 0 20 0 0 
	  key = 6 10 0 0
	  key = 13 0 0 0
	}

}

MODULE
{
	name = FXModuleConstrainPosition
	matchRotation = true
	matchPosition = false
	CONSTRAINFX
	{
		targetName = steering
		moversName = Tracksteering
	}

}

MODULE
{
	name = FXModuleLookAtConstraint
	CONSTRAINLOOKFX
	{
		targetName = 1-2
		rotatorsName = 1-1
	}

CONSTRAINLOOKFX
	{
		targetName = 2-2
		rotatorsName = 2-1
	}

CONSTRAINLOOKFX
	{
		targetName = 3-1
		rotatorsName = 3-2
	}

CONSTRAINLOOKFX
	{
		targetName = 3-2
		rotatorsName = 3-1
	}

CONSTRAINLOOKFX
	{
		targetName = 5-2
		rotatorsName = 5-1
	}
}

MODULE
{
   name = ModuleAnimateGeneric
   animationName = LER_wheel
   startEventGUIName = Rotate Wheel
   endEventGUIName = Rotate Wheel Back
}

}

EDIT- Ok how do we make like the old forums

? [code]

Ah ok. I do have plans to make the Mountain Goat turn sideways. So far I haven't had luck with that but it appears that Bobcat used an animation to rotate the wheels. I'll have to give that a try. Thanks for the config file. :)

Kinda feel like an idiot but I can't figure out what the hover mode does or how to work it. I thought perhaps I was missing a dependency but I don't see reference to one.

I get the pack strapped on, fueled, etc. Activate the engine. Active hover. Increase climb rate. Nothing.

So I throttle up the engine, take off and begin to fly. Activate hover. It has no effect on my climb rate.

I've tried this with both mono and liquid fuel.

Curious if I'm using it wrong, missed a dependency, or have not realized what it is doing when active?

14 hours ago, Black-Talon said:

Kinda feel like an idiot but I can't figure out what the hover mode does or how to work it. I thought perhaps I was missing a dependency but I don't see reference to one.

I get the pack strapped on, fueled, etc. Activate the engine. Active hover. Increase climb rate. Nothing.

So I throttle up the engine, take off and begin to fly. Activate hover. It has no effect on my climb rate.

I've tried this with both mono and liquid fuel.

Curious if I'm using it wrong, missed a dependency, or have not realized what it is doing when active?

Hm, not sure. What I do is board the wing, fire up the engine, take off, and then activate hover mode. It should say "Hover Mode ON' on the screen, and at that point you can increase/decrease your hover rate. You have to give it a few seconds to kick in as well. If I can get my Open Broadcast Software to work, then I'll create a video showing how it works.

47 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Hm, not sure. What I do is board the wing, fire up the engine, take off, and then activate hover mode. It should say "Hover Mode ON' on the screen, and at that point you can increase/decrease your hover rate. You have to give it a few seconds to kick in as well. If I can get my Open Broadcast Software to work, then I'll create a video showing how it works.

Ok cool, I was basically doing this but failing to notice what happens when I do. So couple idiot questions:

1. Do you have SAS on or off when you do this? Does it matter?
  2. I get "Hover Mode ON" message and my climb rate is displayed in the GUI (+40.2 m/s would be a good example)
  3. Do you ... level out first? Or stay vertical?
  4. Does it keep you flying horizontally while maintaining an altitude or does it cancel your horizontal motion as well?
  5. Or does it do something other than maintain an altitude?
  6. After I get "Hover Mode ON" nothing happens. I can then change my Climb Rate and get on screen messages that it is change to 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, etc... but again, I see no change in my flight. I just arc up into the sky and into the hills.
  7. Does hover control just RCS? RCS and throttle? Just throttle? Should I see my throttle move? If I turn off SAS should I see my controls move on their own?

Thanks!

Unrelated to the JetWing: while looking into a different issue, I found what I believe to be a couple bugs.

First small thing, M1A2Grizzly.cfg has a convenient inclusion of WheelSounds via a ModuleManager modification. But for the M1-A2 Grizzly (WBI_M1A2Wheel) it accidentally applies the WheelSounds module to WBI_OmniWheel instead of WBI_M1A2Wheel. And for consideration, did I read correctly the other day that modules themselves can now implement :NEEDS; no idea if it works.

The second, any idea what this is and if it is of concern? I didn't see it elsewhere in the thread but stumbled into it in my output_log after loading the game. This isn't the first time I've loaded and I've used the part a little without any obvious issue.

PartLoader: Part 'WildBlueIndustries/Buffalo/Parts/Utility/Wagon2u/WBI_Wagon2u' has no database record. Creating.

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'WBI.Wagon2u'

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at ModuleDeployableSolarPanel.AssumeDragCubePosition (System.String name) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at DragCubeSystem+
.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine_Auto(IEnumerator)
UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(IEnumerator)
:MoveNext()

(Filename:  Line: -1)

Copied the github release to a clean stock install, same shows up in that install when I load up. [Copy of that output_log for download]

20 hours ago, Black-Talon said:

Ok cool, I was basically doing this but failing to notice what happens when I do. So couple idiot questions:

1. Do you have SAS on or off when you do this? Does it matter?
  2. I get "Hover Mode ON" message and my climb rate is displayed in the GUI (+40.2 m/s would be a good example)
  3. Do you ... level out first? Or stay vertical?
  4. Does it keep you flying horizontally while maintaining an altitude or does it cancel your horizontal motion as well?
  5. Or does it do something other than maintain an altitude?
  6. After I get "Hover Mode ON" nothing happens. I can then change my Climb Rate and get on screen messages that it is change to 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, etc... but again, I see no change in my flight. I just arc up into the sky and into the hills.
  7. Does hover control just RCS? RCS and throttle? Just throttle? Should I see my throttle move? If I turn off SAS should I see my controls move on their own?

Thanks!

1. I definitely recommend using SAS, it makes flying the wing on hover mode much easier.

2. Good, you should see the hover mode indicators.

3 & 4 & 5. Hover mode is designed for vertical flight, so fly straight up and turn on hover mode, then let the wing settle into its engine thrust (the hover mode tends to rev the engines). It is not designed for horizontal flight, it is vertical only.

6. I've verified with both release version and my dev version that hover mode is functioning properly. So make sure you're completely vertical before engaging hover mode, throttle up and fly up a bit, then engage hover mode.

7. Hover mode works independently of the throttle level you set (z, x, and in between). It automatically engages RCS if your throttle isn't zero. JetWing's RCS thrusters are powered by engine thrust, so if you zero out your throttle then the RCS is switched off. When hover mode is engaged, leave SAS on as well. The best way to fly the wing in hover mode is with RCS and SAS both turned on and the wing pointed straight up. 

Side Note: I've been testing the wing by attaching it to the side of a vessel while in the VAB and then flying it upon launch. One thing I tried doing is pulling the wing from storage, slapping it onto the side of a craft, fueling it and then trying to fly it. I don't know if it's due to a recent change with KIS or not, but when I try that scenario, when I board the wing, decouple from the craft and turn on SAS, the wing dances all over the place when I try to rotate. This happens before I even try to take off. So in summary:

1. Wing attached to side of craft in VAB/SPH before launch will fly just fine.

2. Wing attached to side of craft in the field via KIS will shake violently. Further, the flight controls are super sensitive.

I am wondering if others have seen this issue.

11 hours ago, Black-Talon said:

Unrelated to the JetWing: while looking into a different issue, I found what I believe to be a couple bugs.

First small thing, M1A2Grizzly.cfg has a convenient inclusion of WheelSounds via a ModuleManager modification. But for the M1-A2 Grizzly (WBI_M1A2Wheel) it accidentally applies the WheelSounds module to WBI_OmniWheel instead of WBI_M1A2Wheel. And for consideration, did I read correctly the other day that modules themselves can now implement :NEEDS; no idea if it works.

The second, any idea what this is and if it is of concern? I didn't see it elsewhere in the thread but stumbled into it in my output_log after loading the game. This isn't the first time I've loaded and I've used the part a little without any obvious issue.

PartLoader: Part 'WildBlueIndustries/Buffalo/Parts/Utility/Wagon2u/WBI_Wagon2u' has no database record. Creating.

DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'WBI.Wagon2u'

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at ModuleDeployableSolarPanel.AssumeDragCubePosition (System.String name) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at DragCubeSystem+
.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename:  Line: -1)

Copied the github release to a clean stock install, same shows up in that install when I load up. [Copy of that output_log for download]

Thanks for the report. I've corrected the WheelSounds issue and you'll see the fix in the next update. I don't think the errors you're seeing are game threatening. I may have to look into how to create custom drag cubes however...

Ok, some good news. I found a workaround for the JetWing:

1. From the VAB/SPH, start a new craft with the Mk1 capsule.
2. Add a Buckboard MC-1000 to the top of the capsule.
3. Convert the Buckboard to storage and add a JetWing.
4. Launch the craft, and go EVA.
5. Open the Buckboard's inventory and grab the JetWing.
6. Press and hold "H" to attach the JetWing to the side of the capsule.
7. Board the JetWing and fill up its MonoPropellant.

*This part is the workaround*

8. Press F5 to do a quicksave.
9. Press F9 to reload the scene.

At this point you can decouple the JetWing and it will fly normally.

Note: If you do steps 1-7 without doing the quicksave, when you decouple the wing, its flight controls will be super sensitive for reasons unknown. The above workaround will let you store the JetWing in a storage container and allow you to fly it normally. Alternately, you can perform steps 1-7, decouple the wing from the craft, then do steps 8 and 9.

Edited by Angel-125

I have 2 questions about the Buffalo…

How to you go from the (Hitch/Ladder) to Rear Deck? Every time Jeb climbs up to the end of the ladder he falls off. I’m not sure if I should keep climbing or jump or just walk forward. (I know just user error is 99%  of the Problem)

What does the release button for on the buckboard/Storage Pods?

Thanks,

7 hours ago, Turk_WLF said:

I have 2 questions about the Buffalo…

How to you go from the (Hitch/Ladder) to Rear Deck? Every time Jeb climbs up to the end of the ladder he falls off. I’m not sure if I should keep climbing or jump or just walk forward. (I know just user error is 99%  of the Problem)

What does the release button for on the buckboard/Storage Pods?

Thanks,

For the Trailer Hitch, there should be a collider there that will help you climb up and over. I may need to tweak it again to improve the climbing, or just angle the ladder itself.

The Release button comes from KIS. Buckboards have the ability to allow anybody to stack other Buckboards, the KIS container that the Buckboards are patterned after, and a couple of other parts, all without the need for an Engineer. The Release button releases the attached parts. Come to think of if, I probably should remove that ability, now that I know how.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! I gotta say first that i seriously love the Buffalo, it's got a great shape! I've been working with it a bit, and I figured i'd offer some feedback. Take it how you like.

1) http://i.imgur.com/GyIazVb.png I'm getting no Artificial Horizon on the HUD, just the black block. The only thing i can do with it is turn the whole thing off. (Major props for putting Trim info on that display though. This is the ONLY thing i've EVER seen that actually displays the trim angle in KSP. Everything else just acts like it doesn't exist, including KSP itself.) JSI, and the ASETs are both updated.

2) Funny Grizzlys. If i look at the Vessel View window on any of the screens, the wheels do this: http://i.imgur.com/S8ZQRD4.png It's like they scale to .5 in one direction. They roll just fine, though, it's only the visuals that seem affected. No idea what'd cause that, and it only seems to happen with these wheels. I haven't tried the Mountian Goats, as i haven't had occasion to.

3) Requests!

i) I made my own SAS module (it's just the stock "Advanced Inline Stabilizer" code, with the Chassis1u model and nodes), and think it'd make a tidy addition to the very flexible Chassis parts you already have. You could even stuff 2x the power into the Chassis2u part as well.

ii) I'd love a Buffalo Crew Cabin without the side ports. That's just me, though. I can see how fantastic they look in your demo pics, so i can see the use for them.

Overall, the models are fantastic, and the textures are definitely amazing. Keep up the good work! I'll keep strapping weird crap to it.

On 12/23/2015 at 3:22 PM, Beeks said:

Hey! I gotta say first that i seriously love the Buffalo, it's got a great shape! I've been working with it a bit, and I figured i'd offer some feedback. Take it how you like.

1) http://i.imgur.com/GyIazVb.png I'm getting no Artificial Horizon on the HUD, just the black block. The only thing i can do with it is turn the whole thing off. (Major props for putting Trim info on that display though. This is the ONLY thing i've EVER seen that actually displays the trim angle in KSP. Everything else just acts like it doesn't exist, including KSP itself.) JSI, and the ASETs are both updated.

2) Funny Grizzlys. If i look at the Vessel View window on any of the screens, the wheels do this: http://i.imgur.com/S8ZQRD4.png It's like they scale to .5 in one direction. They roll just fine, though, it's only the visuals that seem affected. No idea what'd cause that, and it only seems to happen with these wheels. I haven't tried the Mountian Goats, as i haven't had occasion to.

3) Requests!

i) I made my own SAS module (it's just the stock "Advanced Inline Stabilizer" code, with the Chassis1u model and nodes), and think it'd make a tidy addition to the very flexible Chassis parts you already have. You could even stuff 2x the power into the Chassis2u part as well.

ii) I'd love a Buffalo Crew Cabin without the side ports. That's just me, though. I can see how fantastic they look in your demo pics, so i can see the use for them.

Overall, the models are fantastic, and the textures are definitely amazing. Keep up the good work! I'll keep strapping weird crap to it.

@BeeksThanks again for your help! :) I've debugged the Grizzly wheels. Next update will have better traction and fix the issue with the wheels catching on the ground. I'll also look into adding a SAS module, I think that's a good idea. A passenger cabin is on my list but will take longer to do.

I was playing around with the buffalo the other night and I got to thinking on how flat it looks on the end if you just have fitted compartments to the cabin. Couldn't you make that adapter piece to texture switch between what it has to a more solid color to fit the scheme of the rover texture to resemble a rear, rather than just a docking port?

On 12/28/2015 at 8:34 AM, lynwoodm said:

I was playing around with the buffalo the other night and I got to thinking on how flat it looks on the end if you just have fitted compartments to the cabin. Couldn't you make that adapter piece to texture switch between what it has to a more solid color to fit the scheme of the rover texture to resemble a rear, rather than just a docking port?

Do you have pictures? I don't really get what you're suggesting.

Speaking of pictures, I've been doing some testing with the revised Buffalo wheels:

D8B2lua.png

y3WvYdH.png

Things are going well, the wheels aren't catching on the terrain. :)

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

Do you have pictures? I don't really get what you're suggesting.

Speaking of pictures, I've been doing some testing with the revised Buffalo wheels:

D8B2lua.png

y3WvYdH.png

Things are going well, the wheels aren't catching on the terrain. :)

Okay, I took some time to make some comparisons to an older rover version, the ERS. I like the way the ERS is set up. It's a "closed" design, unless you add an airlock/dockport to it (which you provide with Pathfinder and it works great). What I'm suggesting is just an aesthetic texture switch, so if you do not want to add anything to the rear of the Buffalo, you don't have to. 

QFw40j7.jpg

sMCTQAs.jpg

All I'm suggesting is to have a texture switch from the original cap look of a place where you can put a port to something that matches the rest of the rover like in the ERS. Nothing fancy or anything like that, just something that doesn't resemble a place to put something. 

I hope this makes it a little clear of what I was talking about. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.