[Min KSP 1.12.2] Buffalo: NASA Inspired Modular Space Exploration Vehicle

Angelo Kerman

0.5.0 is here!

New Part
- Added 2U Slim Chassis.

Bug Fixes & Enhancements
- You can now change the configuration on tanks with symmetrical parts. In the SPH/VAB it will happen automatically when you select a new configuration. After launch, you'll have the option to change symmetrical tanks.
- Fixed an issue where the Buffalo asteroid scanner would not display the results window after scanning an asteroid.
- Fixed an issue where the JetWing hover GUI would not appear.
- Fixed an issue where the JetWing would disable RCS on the entire vessel when it had no engine thrust.

Flex Fuel Power Pack
- The Flex Fuel Power Pack now uses the standard configurable storage window to select flex fuel types. You still need to go EVA to change it, and it requires an Engineer (Pathfinder users can turn off the skill requirement).
- The Flex Fuel Power Pack will have the appropriate fuel resource storage for the selected fuel type.

Resources
- All Buffalo chassis parts can now participate in Pathfinder's resource distribution.
- The Outback now uses the standard resource configuration window.

• 2 weeks later...

"Flying Buffalo":

... just bored to have already unlock, in my career, mostly of your Bufalo parts BUT none of the wheels (neither stock or from your mod), so...

hnpZ7Kz.jpg

RuX7U7T.jpg

... i made the "Buffal-kopter" (featuring KAX and Kerbal Rotor Expansion) and it's surprisly fun to ride :D

Edited by Araym

Quick question, does the current version still require the ASET props and aviationics, because, I can't seem to find a download link for it anywhere since kerbalstuff closed down, and I really want to use this mod.

If so, does someone have a download link for them handy?

23 hours ago, chupathingy495 said:

Quick question, does the current version still require the ASET props and aviationics, because, I can't seem to find a download link for it anywhere since kerbalstuff closed down, and I really want to use this mod.

If so, does someone have a download link for them handy?

Not required, ASET is optional.

• 2 weeks later...

Just for fun, excuse my spelling.

Delivery of crew and rover to Minmus:

screenshot_2016-08-26--00-44-43.png

(It was decided that while the TCA group makes great software, bugs will need to be worked out.  The landing was successful - at about 5x the expected dV budget and 90km from the intended landing point.  Future landings will be handled by the MecJeb group - though their software could not have landed this craft.)

Beauty shot of their travel:

screenshot_2016-08-26--01-04-23.png

Debate at the pre-landed base site:

screenshot_2016-08-26--01-31-34.png

Bob is eager to build the greatest science lab the world has ever seen, Bill wants to set up a mega industrial complex, Val thinks focus should be on building up habitation and food supply, and Jeb just wants to build out everything.  (There's a lot of stuff in those storage containers.)

(For the record: Apparently the Switchback2's that were sent up were accidentally made of explodium.  Some basic hab was set up out of the experimental box-version Ponderosa that had been shipped up in the Buffalo.   I'm hoping it was a glitch in the system, and will try again next time I load up KSP.)

21 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

@DStaal Love the delivery vehicle and rover design. I wonder who will win the debate. :) Dropping parts on the ground via KIS can cause them to explode. No idea why. Happens with every part including stock ones.

Mission design is for an expanding base - Initial focus being on fuel production for further exploration of the solar system.  Basic habitation is a necessity to be addressed of course.  So the mission plan is to have a balanced design (a science lab, habitation - possibly a greenhouse, if we have the equipment) with extra emphasis on fuel and water production ISRUs.

There's been a lot of debate over in the KIS thread - it helps to have some space between the collider and the attachment node, if you're attaching things to the surface, but yeah - a problem everywhere.  And I run enough mods on an old computer that things just glitch on occasion - and often they'll work fine the next time I run KSP.  That's what I'm hoping for.  Otherwise I may send up another shipment of base building supplies - more equipment, some Switchbacks, and some Saddles.  (My Saddle-mounted hab worked fine, after all...)

4 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Mission design is for an expanding base - Initial focus being on fuel production for further exploration of the solar system.  Basic habitation is a necessity to be addressed of course.  So the mission plan is to have a balanced design (a science lab, habitation - possibly a greenhouse, if we have the equipment) with extra emphasis on fuel and water production ISRUs.

There's been a lot of debate over in the KIS thread - it helps to have some space between the collider and the attachment node, if you're attaching things to the surface, but yeah - a problem everywhere.  And I run enough mods on an old computer that things just glitch on occasion - and often they'll work fine the next time I run KSP.  That's what I'm hoping for.  Otherwise I may send up another shipment of base building supplies - more equipment, some Switchbacks, and some Saddles.  (My Saddle-mounted hab worked fine, after all...)

I'm curious to know more about the space between the collider and the attachment node, do you have a link?

1 minute ago, Angel-125 said:

I'm curious to know more about the space between the collider and the attachment node, do you have a link?

Not off the top of my head; I'd have to search the KIS thread.  I just remember seeing something on it.  (It may actually have been in the Surface Experiment Program thread...)

Basically the idea is that if there is a bit of space, then floating point errors aren't going to transpose the attached part under the collider for the ground, removing one likely point for the explosions.  It's not a complete fix and guarantee, but it helps.

11 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Not off the top of my head; I'd have to search the KIS thread.  I just remember seeing something on it.  (It may actually have been in the Surface Experiment Program thread...)

Ask And Ye Shall Receive... (here ya go)

Also: Docking ports (which the tailer hitches are) on ground vehicles are notoriously difficult to use in KSP.  Basically, docking will not happen unless both docking ports are exactly aligned and nearly motionless relative to each other - they have some magnetic properties which help align them in space, but if something prevents them from being able to move slightly to align themselves they won't dock.  Or if your ship is under thrust.

Translate that to rovers, and think about the fact that they can't move up and down hardly at all, and side to side is even more difficult.  Oh, and you're probably driving the one rover to the other - which means it's under thrust.  Basically, unless you've got them on very level ground and perfectly aligned, it's unlikely to connect.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.