[Min KSP 1.12.2] Buffalo: NASA Inspired Modular Space Exploration Vehicle

Angelo Kerman

48 minutes ago, infinite_monkey said:

I had similar problems before. This is clearly a bug. Contracts should come with the parts they need and not rely on some other mods.

It is a bit, but it's an odd one to address - In this case the contracts can be satisfied with MOLE or Pathfinder or DSEV, and I think Heisenberg and Kerbal Flying Saucers are intended to have them eventually.  So they can't just be distributed with the parts - so they got moved into the tools.  But the tools are distributed with more than the parts that are needed...

Almost the science system (and it's contracts) need to be a separate mod that can be downloaded and is a requirement for some mods, and works with any of them (but needs at least one).

50 minutes ago, shdwlrd said:

The other mod is DSEV or deep space exploration vessels. The airship mod is called Heisenberg. There is also Snacks and Kerbal Komets. You got the rest of them. 

43% ain't bad. At least I think it's that. Been up since 12:30 AM local the past few days so at the moment I a tad sleep-deprived...

6 hours ago, DStaal said:

It is a bit, but it's an odd one to address - In this case the contracts can be satisfied with MOLE or Pathfinder or DSEV, and I think Heisenberg and Kerbal Flying Saucers are intended to have them eventually.  So they can't just be distributed with the parts - so they got moved into the tools.  But the tools are distributed with more than the parts that are needed...

Almost the science system (and it's contracts) need to be a separate mod that can be downloaded and is a requirement for some mods, and works with any of them (but needs at least one).

Aren't there ways to put a requirement in there so if you don't have certain parts/mods then that contract won't ever show up?  I know there is for parts, contracts should be the same way.  But since I have this bug I can't complete is there a way to get rid of it without taking the hit?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone else having an issue where a Gold Digger drill causes the game to spaz out?  If I attach a gold digger to a vessel and then launch it, the game thinks about it for a while and then goes back to the space center scene instead of the flight scene.  If I go back into the SPH or VAB, I can't edit the vessel, but I can bring up PAW menus, and any attempt to add parts is met with an error in debug- "NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object".  Leaving the SPH/VAB and coming in again doesn't work and neither does trying to use the new craft button.  The only fix I've found so far is to load a working vessel on top of the one with the drill and hit launch, in which case KSP seems to ignore the drill-equipped vessel and launch the good one, and then if you revert, all is well and the drill vessel is gone.  Yeah, I know.. logs, but I was wondering if anyone else was seeing this behavior also before I start going through all that.

I have Buffalo, Pathfinder and Tools all on the latest version from Github.  Running 1.7.1 with BG on MacOS.

EDIT:  Also noticed just now, going back into the SPH, there are multiple copies of the contracts window and KSPedia buttons in the stock toolbar.

Edited by MaxPeck

So upon further review in sandbox, it's not just the Gold Digger.  Any drill seems to cause the problem.

Edit:  And upon even further review, not all the drills break the game.  I'm doing more testing.

Edited by MaxPeck

@Angel-125  Regarding my previous 2 posts, I've been doing some digging.  Your drills and stock drills break the game in my install.  KPBS and USI drills don't.  I know you're a busy person and you have a lot to maintain with your mods, so I was trying to keep this as painless as possible.  I tried removing the MM config from pathfinder that adds WBI modules to stock drills, but the game still took a crap when I tried to load one.  

Digging through the log, I've isolated the segment where it all goes wrong... it definitely seems to be tied to WBIModuleResourceHarvester.... in the log I see the switch from editor to flight scene, and everything is loading all honky-dory, and then this:

[EXC 22:48:40.663] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	WildBlueIndustries.WBIModuleResourceHarvester.OnSave (.ConfigNode node)
	PartModule.Save (.ConfigNode node)
	ShipConstruct.SaveShip ()
	ShipConstruction.CreateBackup (.ShipConstruct ship)
	FlightDriver.setStartupNewVessel ()
	UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
	FlightDriver:setStartupNewVessel()
	FlightDriver:Start()

And them the next thing I see is a scene switch from flight to space center.

Any idea what's going on?

Edited by MaxPeck

On 6/7/2019 at 8:40 PM, MaxPeck said:

@Angel-125  Regarding my previous 2 posts, I've been doing some digging.  Your drills and stock drills break the game in my install.  KPBS and USI drills don't.  I know you're a busy person and you have a lot to maintain with your mods, so I was trying to keep this as painless as possible.  I tried removing the MM config from pathfinder that adds WBI modules to stock drills, but the game still took a crap when I tried to load one.  

Digging through the log, I've isolated the segment where it all goes wrong... it definitely seems to be tied to WBIModuleResourceHarvester.... in the log I see the switch from editor to flight scene, and everything is loading all honky-dory, and then this:

[EXC 22:48:40.663] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	WildBlueIndustries.WBIModuleResourceHarvester.OnSave (.ConfigNode node)
	PartModule.Save (.ConfigNode node)
	ShipConstruct.SaveShip ()
	ShipConstruction.CreateBackup (.ShipConstruct ship)
	FlightDriver.setStartupNewVessel ()
	UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
	FlightDriver:setStartupNewVessel()
	FlightDriver:Start()

And them the next thing I see is a scene switch from flight to space center.

Any idea what's going on?

Not at the moment, but I'm investigating..

2 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Not at the moment, but I'm investigating..

And I just realized the Gold Digger is actually a Pathfinder part, so I probably should've posted there; but thanks for looking into it.

FYI, this also seems to occur with the Buffalo Drill, the Lasso, the Hacienda and the Drilling Rig as well. 

Edited by MaxPeck

2 hours ago, spectre007x said:

Can you use this mod to support a global construction project. I.e do the resources carried and drill work for building global construction parts to make a arctic base for example that would eventually be able to build scout rovers or a mun base?

Angel-125's mods do not support Global Construction at this time.

13 hours ago, spectre007x said:

Can you use this mod to support a global construction project. I.e do the resources carried and drill work for building global construction parts to make a arctic base for example that would eventually be able to build scout rovers or a mun base?

See official answer above - but I believe in CRP mode they'll carry the resources.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Love the mods, I've just updated the buffalo mod, and I'm still seeing a problem with the guppy not being able to submerse more than 50%. When Breaking Ground first dropped, all of my air breathing engines stopped working until I got a new version of one of the Near Future mods. That said, I've removed most of my other mods (43) except for yours, the mod needed for Heisenberg to work, B9 animation, B9 part switch, Community packs (Resource, Category, Tech Tree), Click Through Blocker, both Filter Extensions, Toolbar Control, and module manager. The guppy will now get to 90% submerged. I tried editing the config for the ballast and added an extra 0 at the end to see if the newest DLC changed things. On a different sub, one powered with SAFERs, I was able to submerge to 900M with IntakeLqd at 3281. Somehow its letting it go with a hull pressure of 8,000 even though its listed as a max of 6,000. Dry mass is listed as 6.093.

Using just the guppy, I have to make it hop a few times to get all of the engines underwater, then it will dive, but it won't stay under water unless I'm holding down pitch. The Nose pitches up otherwise, even using the dive computer button. Now 

After I put all the mods back in and reloaded, I found that I did not need as much to keep the sub at 900M. About 1600 IntakeLqd. In both subs, I need two engines on the front because the guppy cab acts like its way too buoyant and using the dive computer button on the side with auto trim, I can't keep it level without moving forward and hitting down pitch on the keyboard.

In my testing with increasing the tank capacity of the guppy save file, I had raise the body ballast tanks to 1350 each and get 3920 IntakeLqd in the craft to stay steady at a depth of 401M without having to hold down pitch and have the engines at full throttle. I'm really thinking its something in the new DLC unless its something I didn't try removing

If I can get the log files hosted for you, I will, but I figured I'd bring this up along with my current testing to date. I hope this information helps.

Edited by Azic Minar
Didn't notice surface speed wasn't 0 at first

2 hours ago, Azic Minar said:

Love the mods, I've just updated the buffalo mod, and I'm still seeing a problem with the guppy not being able to submerse more than 50%. When Breaking Ground first dropped, all of my air breathing engines stopped working until I got a new version of one of the Near Future mods. That said, I've removed most of my other mods (43) except for yours, the mod needed for Heisenberg to work, B9 animation, B9 part switch, Community packs (Resource, Category, Tech Tree), Click Through Blocker, both Filter Extensions, Toolbar Control, and module manager. The guppy will now get to 90% submerged. I tried editing the config for the ballast and added an extra 0 at the end to see if the newest DLC changed things. On a different sub, one powered with SAFERs, I was able to submerge to 900M with IntakeLqd at 3281. Somehow its letting it go with a hull pressure of 8,000 even though its listed as a max of 6,000. Dry mass is listed as 6.093.

Using just the guppy, I have to make it hop a few times to get all of the engines underwater, then it will dive, but it won't stay under water unless I'm holding down pitch. The Nose pitches up otherwise, even using the dive computer button. Now 

After I put all the mods back in and reloaded, I found that I did not need as much to keep the sub at 900M. About 1600 IntakeLqd. In both subs, I need two engines on the front because the guppy cab acts like its way too buoyant and using the dive computer button on the side with auto trim, I can't keep it level without moving forward and hitting down pitch on the keyboard.

In my testing with increasing the tank capacity of the guppy save file, I had raise the body ballast tanks to 1350 each and get 3920 IntakeLqd in the craft to stay steady at a depth of 401M without having to hold down pitch and have the engines at full throttle. I'm really thinking its something in the new DLC unless its something I didn't try removing

If I can get the log files hosted for you, I will, but I figured I'd bring this up along with my current testing to date. I hope this information helps.

Tested and verified working in KSP 1.7.X

7Z26PZQ.png

I had a search through the thread and couldn't find anything about this. Apologies if I missed it. 

The craft files in the OP don't work in KSP 1.7.2. I have the latest KIS and KAS (both apparently work in 1.7.2 based on info from their threads. Although I wish people would update their OP if it does work :/). Is there anything else that I might be missing? 

Hello.

First of all, thank you for this wonderful mod. Secondly, sorry for my poor english.

I've got two questions :

1- I find anoying the Buffalo parts were simultaneous in the "Buffalo Icon" in the "Simple mode", and everywhere in the others categories (always in the simple mode). How can i make deseappear the Buffalo Icon ?

2 - I'm very surprised of the quantity of ballast necessary for a submarine to go underwater.It seems the the submarine have to be a big ballast. Is there a possbile bug here ?

Thank you :)

1 hour ago, nefrem said:

I'm very surprised of the quantity of ballast necessary for a submarine to go underwater.It seems the the submarine have to be a big ballast. Is there a possbile bug here ?

Nope, that's just KSP. Most parts are very buoyant and takes a ton of mass to get them to sink.

10 minutes ago, shdwlrd said:

Nope, that's just KSP. Most parts are very buoyant and takes a ton of mass to get them to sink.

Buffalo ballast tanks are designed to lose buoyancy as they gain IntakeLqd, but if you use a lot of stock parts then you could still stay afloat. Effectively, the ballast tanks cheat and reduce buoyancy on the part as their tanks fill to capacity, but I don’t have the same ability for any generic part from any mod. That said, the reference Guppy design works just fine.

What you could do is create a ModuleManager config to add WBIOmniStorage to stock tanks so that they can take hold IntakeLqd, and then attach the Ballast Vent part to that tank. It would then work like the dedicated ballast tanks in the Buffalo form factor. OmniStorage needs to know how many liters of storage space it can use; for stock fuel tanks, one unit of resource equals five liters. I am at work so I don’t have the specifics but something like this:

https://github.com/Angel-125/WildBlueTools/blob/master/GameData/WildBlueIndustries/000WildBlueTools/Templates/ClassicStock/Storage/OmniStorage.cfg

Edited by Angel-125

I'll admit the last time I tried it I found the Guppy cab absurdly buoyant for a submarine part.  (I had to attach lead weights to the top to get it to sink at all.)  That was sometime in 1.6.x however, as I don't use subs much, and I didn't look into it further to see if there was an actual problem once I got the bit of science I was looking for.

3 hours ago, DStaal said:

I'll admit the last time I tried it I found the Guppy cab absurdly buoyant for a submarine part.  (I had to attach lead weights to the top to get it to sink at all.)  That was sometime in 1.6.x however, as I don't use subs much, and I didn't look into it further to see if there was an actual problem once I got the bit of science I was looking for.

Actually, I noticed that last night while trying to make a Subnautica Seatruck with Buffalo parts. All I need do is add a small amount of IntakeLqd and the ballast tank part module to fix that...

Hello all, its been some time, and im finally getting back into this.......

so as usual i had a weird idea / request. a while back i thought of and cant remember if i mentioned rotatable vtol engines  like the prop ones you make.
the idea i has to save time, was basically the saddle tank with a nozzel on the back that could rotate round from backwards facing to down wards facing.  maybe a veriant for get and rocket.

The reasoning is that your rotating props are solid, but making rotating engines with robotics is unstable as hell. and i need landing engines for some fun craft :p 
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1797885959&searchtext=Transred
they could fit on a craft like this, and make it stable, or on the buff frame.... im also a willing tester :D  as im in craft development at the moment and making weird shiznae! 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.