Angel-125

[1.7.x] Buffalo: NASA Inspired Modular Space Exploration Vehicle

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, DStaal said:

Just as a thought, but have you tried either bringing Oxidizer, or switching the flex-fuel to a mode that doesn't require it?

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

The Power Pack is actually working fine, it's just configured incorrectly. In your current configuration, the power pack is using LiquidFuel & Oxidizer:

D'oh!  I didn't notice anything about that, just slapped it on the rover and off I went.  Then in flight, it had a "close intake" button so I figured it was using IntakeAir.

I like that it blows smoke.  That's a good sign whether it's on or not.  Maybe make it black smoke like an Old West steam train?  It would be nice to smoke up the pristine air of Laythe, muhahahaha :).  In fact, if you could make big, tall, brick-looking inflatable smokestacks for Pathfinder......  They don't have do actually DO anything, just produce copious amounts of thick black smoke, so my bases can look like the industrial wastelands they are :)

 

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

The editor is hosed because of the special decoupler switcher I made for the Mountain Goats:

Glad I was able to help find that.

 

37 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Ok, good news! My custom decoupler works perfectly and eliminates editor hosing. Here's a picture with wheels node attached and surface attached. The new ejection force is 50 (1/3 what it was before to avoid John Denver songs):

Did he have a song about bases being bombarded by suborbital wheels?  I'm not really familiar with his music.

Anyway, sounds good.  Thanks for the hard work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

D'oh!  I didn't notice anything about that, just slapped it on the rover and off I went.  Then in flight, it had a "close intake" button so I figured it was using IntakeAir.

I like that it blows smoke.  That's a good sign whether it's on or not.  Maybe make it black smoke like an Old West steam train?  It would be nice to smoke up the pristine air of Laythe, muhahahaha :).  In fact, if you could make big, tall, brick-looking inflatable smokestacks for Pathfinder......  They don't have do actually DO anything, just produce copious amounts of thick black smoke, so my bases can look like the industrial wastelands they are :)

 

Glad I was able to help find that.

 

Did he have a song about bases being bombarded by suborbital wheels?  I'm not really familiar with his music.

Anyway, sounds good.  Thanks for the hard work.

The fix is taking longer than expected in order to fix the click-through issue as well. Sit tight, I'm working as best as I can :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

The fix is taking longer than expected in order to fix the click-through issue as well. Sit tight, I'm working as best as I can :)

Me and my big mouth :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I just wasted my whole f-ing weekend chasing bugs instead of, oh, I dunno, making cool stuff.

1) Can't find a way to avoid the click-through, so live with it.

2) don't change configurations on symmetry parts or you'll have issues. Can't figure out that one either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Well, I just wasted my whole f-ing weekend chasing bugs instead of, oh, I dunno, making cool stuff.

My sincere apologies.

EDIT:  FWIW, Squad had a huge problem with this, too.  Back about 0.23.5 or so, this issue occupied most of Experimentals.

Edited by Geschosskopf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

0.4.2

- Fixed an issue with the editor locking up when using the M1-A1 Mountain Goat.
- The M1-A1 can now self-destruct in addition to decoupling (both when surface attached and node attached).
- Reduced the ejection force used when the M1-A1 is decoupled.
- The Buffalo Command Cab window lighting now toggles on/off with the headlights.
- If fuel tanks are arrayed symmetrically, you'll no longer be able to reconfigure them. It's either that or let the game explode (ie nothing I can do about it except prevent players from changing symmetrical tanks).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

I greatly appreciate your hard work.  Sorry I ruined your weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

I greatly appreciate your hard work.  Sorry I ruined your weekend.

Not your fault, was my choice to fix bugs. Just got very frustrating to hear endless complaints this weekend, with few exceptions (your stories being one of them), that's what I hear about: complaints. It got to me this weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Angel-125 said:

Not your fault, was my choice to fix bugs. Just got very frustrating to hear endless complaints this weekend, with few exceptions (your stories being one of them), that's what I hear about: complaints. It got to me this weekend.

Well, have a virtual bottle on me.  Maybe someday I can give you a real one.  What vintage do you prefer?  But look at it this way.  Folks, including me, complain about Squad all the time, but they keep playing KSP.  If folks complain about problems with your mods, it's because they like them.  You really make wonderful stuff and I"m glad to play them even when my bases explode, my editors die, and such things.  It beats being outside in the tropics this time of year :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

Well, have a virtual bottle on me.  Maybe someday I can give you a real one.  What vintage do you prefer?  But look at it this way.  Folks, including me, complain about Squad all the time, but they keep playing KSP.  If folks complain about problems with your mods, it's because they like them.  You really make wonderful stuff and I"m glad to play them even when my bases explode, my editors die, and such things.  It beats being outside in the tropics this time of year :) 

Actually, I don't drink (except the occasional starbucks heh), but I appreciate the gesture.

Annnd I figured out the tank symmetry thing. Naturally right after kicking the latest out the door. As is right and proper. Oh well, next updates will have that fixed properly.

Now the question is: should all symmetrical tanks be reconfigured when in flight, or just in the editor?

Edited by Angel-125

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Actually, I don't drink (except the occasional starbucks heh), but I appreciate the gesture.

Annnd I figured out the tank symmetry thing. Naturally right after kicking the latest out the door. As is right and proper. Oh well, next updates will have that fixed properly.

Now the question is: should all symmetrical tanks be reconfigured when in flight, or just in the editor?

Could you do a 'link/unlink symmetry' button someplace to give the user the choice?  If not, I'd vote for not reconfiguring all of them: With a bit of work and time, you can create the other situation in-game, whereas if you set it so they're all reconfigured together in flight the player can't do one different on their own.

----

Oh, and another thought that the above discussion made me think on: It might be a useful idea to have the Power Pack 'default' to Lf+Ox mode in both storage and generation - then newbies will be able to slap it on and have it work, and if it stops they're more likely to go 'well, it did work, so what am I doing wrong' than 'it's not working!  It must be broken!'  :wink:

Edited by DStaal
Added idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Actually, I don't drink

You mean to say I haven't driven you to drink yet?!?!?!?  I must try harder :)

 

14 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Annnd I figured out the tank symmetry thing. Naturally right after kicking the latest out the door. As is right and proper. Oh well, next updates will have that fixed properly.

Glad to hear it.  That was inconvenient and I look forward to seeing the last of it.

 

19 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Now the question is: should all symmetrical tanks be reconfigured when in flight, or just in the editor?

As symmetry doesn't work on bases centered around some central hub, this seems to me only an issue with ships.  With me, I tend to design ships to be symmetric for balance and all, so I'm cool with the tanks always being paired.  But whatever makes things work best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Wild Blue Tools 1.3.12 pre-release for those who want to try it.

- You can now change the configration on tanks with symmetrical parts. In the SPH/VAB it will happen automatically when you select a new configuration. After launch, you'll have the option to change symmetrical tanks.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Continuing the discussion from @Geschosskopf's Fabulous New Horizons Traveling Circus thread, I needed a break from beating my head on a wall trying to make dynamic IVAs for the MOLE, and played around with submarine tech. Currently, this is what I've got:

0Buyary.png

As you can see, I can make a kerbal drop to the ocean floor using the KIS-enabled Outback. Originally I thought you couldn't jump when you reached the ocean floor, but that's because the KISInventory isn't refreshing its mass after I dumped the Outback's ton of Lead. Rather than bug @IgorZ about it, I did some digging, and I think I can tell KIS to refresh the mass and volume of the kerbal's inventory. If that works then the kerbal should shoot to the surface after dumping lead. Basically, with KIS, I can create a bouyancy compensator and maybe some sort of automatic dive computer (powered by Komodore, heh) to make the kerbal neutrally bouyant. You could then swim around or drop to the ocean floor. Then with some kind of aquatic JetWing for increased mobility, and revival of the "BuffaSub" concept, and the "Sandcastle" printed habs in Pathfinder, I could make underwater bases. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More digging: It appears that KIS_ITEM determines doesn't reassess a part's mass after it's been placed into a KISInventory. Maybe @IgorZ can shed some light on how to update the item in the inventory with the new mass. If I can do that then a bouyancy compensator is definitely possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

As you can see, I can make a kerbal drop to the ocean floor using the KIS-enabled Outback. Originally I thought you couldn't jump when you reached the ocean floor, but that's because the KISInventory isn't refreshing its mass after I dumped the Outback's ton of Lead. Rather than bug @IgorZ about it, I did some digging, and I think I can tell KIS to refresh the mass and volume of the kerbal's inventory. If that works then the kerbal should shoot to the surface after dumping lead. Basically, with KIS, I can create a bouyancy compensator and maybe some sort of automatic dive computer (powered by Komodore, heh) to make the kerbal neutrally bouyant. You could then swim around or drop to the ocean floor. Then with some kind of aquatic JetWing for increased mobility, and revival of the "BuffaSub" concept, and the "Sandcastle" printed habs in Pathfinder, I could make underwater bases. :)

Thanks for the props :)

I really like what you're doing.  "BuffaloSub" needs a better name, though.  "Loggerhead", maybe, after the big (alligator snapping) turtle?  That seems more fitting than "Alligator" or especially "Manatee"..

But equipment is only part of the story.  The whole underwater environment needs to be fleshed out to give Kerbals something to do down there.  Getting serious with underwater bases would end up being a total package with a scope as broad as Kerbalism.  It would definitely be a major project.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

Thanks for the props :)

I really like what you're doing.  "BuffaloSub" needs a better name, though.  "Loggerhead", maybe, after the big (alligator snapping) turtle?  That seems more fitting than "Alligator" or especially "Manatee"..

But equipment is only part of the story.  The whole underwater environment needs to be fleshed out to give Kerbals something to do down there.  Getting serious with underwater bases would end up being a total package with a scope as broad as Kerbalism.  It would definitely be a major project.

Yeah probably. But at least there are some possibilities there. Likely this is a project for the future though, gotta stay focused and finish up my core stuff. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Originally I thought you couldn't jump when you reached the ocean floor, but that's because the KISInventory isn't refreshing its mass after I dumped the Outback's ton of Lead. Rather than bug @IgorZ about it, I did some digging, and I think I can tell KIS to refresh the mass and volume of the kerbal's inventory.

But you've actually did it, you've bugged me :)  The inventory is updating its mass in a constant mode which means any change in the item's mass is immediately reflected in the total inventory mass. Did you update a mass of some item in the inventory? Changing mass of the inventory itself won't do the trick since it's FIXED. If you put a lot of heavy stuff into a backpack EVA jetpack will notice it. I wonder why buoyancy calculation works differently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for a great modification.
Here are all
"improved" textures for Buffalo 0.4.2. (Now all hawe MipMaps and converted all *.mbm in dds)

Orginal Textures 23,6 MB (24 769 272 bytes)

Improved Textures 21,0 MB (22 079 049 bytes)

@Angel-125

Use them if you want in the next update.

Regards

Edited by InsanePlumber

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Angel-125

I just used the asteroid sniffer arm in my NH game and it didn't appear to do anything.  Clicking the "Scan Asteroid" button didn't add any resource data to my knowledge.  Only the stock surface scanner did that.

The asteroids weren't stock taters but new types from Custom Asteroids, if that matters.

So what's supposed to happen when I use the roid sniffer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Geschosskopf said:

@Angel-125

I just used the asteroid sniffer arm in my NH game and it didn't appear to do anything.  Clicking the "Scan Asteroid" button didn't add any resource data to my knowledge.  Only the stock surface scanner did that.

The asteroids weren't stock taters but new types from Custom Asteroids, if that matters.

So what's supposed to happen when I use the roid sniffer?

It used to work just like the stock scanner, so don't know why it isn't. I'll have to take a look, I haven't looked at the asteroid arm in awhile. Did you capture the asteroid first?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

It used to work just like the stock scanner, so don't know why it isn't. I'll have to take a look, I haven't looked at the asteroid arm in awhile. Did you capture the asteroid first?

Yup.  In my NH thread you can see the right-click window of the arm is up in several pics and it just shows the thermal info from Hotspot.  Nothing about resources.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

Yup.  In my NH thread you can see the right-click window of the arm is up in several pics and it just shows the thermal info from Hotspot.  Nothing about resources.

Ok, dumb question from me, since I havent' touched the arm in awhile. What happens when you press the "Scan Asteroid" button? Nothing shows? It might be that the window was one I missed when KSP 1.1 came out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

@Angel-125

Nothing happens at all as far as I can tell.

Ah, yup, I missed one of the windows that needed to be redone as a result of KSP 1.1. I'll have that fixed shortly. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.