[Min KSP 1.12.2] Buffalo: NASA Inspired Modular Space Exploration Vehicle

Angelo Kerman

1 hour ago, vossiewulf said:

Actually @vardicd's instructions aren't correct - you don't need to delete the text file, that's the source you (Angel) use to copy it over to a .cfg file, at which point it becomes active. You need to delete the .cfg, that's the spurious file that shouldn't have been included in the build - since it's there it's active, and you fail when someone tries to enable classic stock because the classic stock .cfg file already exists.

I just copied the post from Dstaal out of the scansat thread to this one, so maybe he mistyped the name of the file, or whatever, I only know I deleted the file I found in the location he told me and it started working again.

2 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Where does the existing CRP file for scansat reside? 

The only config file I see in Scansat that covers resources is in Scansat\Resources\SCANresource.config. In CRP there is CommunityResourcePack\SurfaceScanner.cfg.

1 hour ago, vardicd said:

I just copied the post from Dstaal out of the scansat thread to this one, so maybe he mistyped the name of the file, or whatever, I only know I deleted the file I found in the location he told me and it started working again.

No worries, but it didn't fix the problem for me until I deleted the config file, deleting the text file didn't do it.

Another question although I'm sure this is something I'm missing, not a bug. Below is my new Munar base, and he's set up the same way I set up bases in the past except I have a disposable EL launchpad instead of the standard permanent one. 

The problem is when I open the EL build UI, it tells me I have a productivity of 0 and hence can't build anything. I have two x two-star engineers staffing the Hacienda, which should qualify as a fully equipped EL workshop. What am I missing? I have rocketparts on hand, ready to build my mining rover on the EL pad, but pad no wanna build.

vql5PFC.png

Another question although I'm sure this is something I'm missing, not a bug. Below is my new Munar base, and he's set up the same way I set up bases in the past except I have a disposable EL launchpad instead of the standard permanent one. 

The problem is when I open the EL build UI, it tells me I have a productivity of 0 and hence can't build anything. I have two x two-star engineers staffing the Hacienda, which should qualify as a fully equipped EL workshop. What am I missing? I have rocketparts on hand, ready to build my mining rover on the EL pad, but pad no wanna build.

Totally not Pathfinder/Buffalo related. You need smart kerbals to make ships.

4 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

not sure what you mean by "dreckiest kind of...Sci-fi",

So as a life-long sci-fi person with respect and appreciation for the genre, I guess I'm using "dreck" in a not-so-mean way. When I say "dreckiest", I'm saying it's sort-of a super-corney, going-for-grandiose show about future technology and hope for humanity (aka Star Trek Under The Sea) where some of the acting, storylines, and CG-circa-1993 goes a bit overboard.

Anyway, sorry hope I'm not inviting a flame war. LOL

Edited by scottadges

55 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Totally not Pathfinder/Buffalo related. You need smart kerbals to make ships.

I'm not saying it's Pathfinder as I just don't know what the scoop is, but if you're saying the engineers are too stupid, well, one is pretty stupid but the other is competent. And compare that to the one competent two-star and one stupid zero-star I have in my space station EL workshop, they have a reasonable productivity. It seems to me the two on the Mun are roughly equivalent to the space station duo, so I'm not seeing this as the cause. Are you sure no recent changes could have resulted in the Hacienda not registering properly as a fully-equipped EL workshop? As far as I know, it's the Hacienda I need to staff for EL building.

OmlJ0O1.png

39 minutes ago, vossiewulf said:

I'm not saying it's Pathfinder as I just don't know what the scoop is, but if you're saying the engineers are too stupid, well, one is pretty stupid but the other is competent. And compare that to the one competent two-star and one stupid zero-star I have in my space station EL workshop, they have a reasonable productivity. It seems to me the two on the Mun are roughly equivalent to the space station duo, so I'm not seeing this as the cause. Are you sure no recent changes could have resulted in the Hacienda not registering properly as a fully-equipped EL workshop? As far as I know, it's the Hacienda I need to staff for EL building.

Yeah, your kerbals are too dumb from what I can see. I have similar problems, my astronauts are idiots. :)

1 hour ago, scottadges said:

So as a life-long sci-fi person with respect and appreciation for the genre, I guess I'm using "dreck" in a not-so-mean way. When I say "dreckiest", I'm saying it's sort-of a super-corney, going-for-grandiose show about future technology and hope for humanity (aka Star Trek Under The Sea) where some of the acting, storylines, and CG-circa-1993 goes a bit overboard.

Anyway, sorry hope I'm not inviting a flame war. LOL

That was my take on SeaQuest as well. It felt like Star Trek underwater. The first season was my favorite, the other two were... interesting but watchable. On the other hand, they weren't that far different than Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. Speaking of which, I've pretty much got the planning done for Wild Blue Submarines. I'm hoping to have a dev thread for that up shortly after fixing the bugs here and in my other mods.

2 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Yeah, your kerbals are too dumb from what I can see. I have similar problems, my astronauts are idiots. :)

That was my take on SeaQuest as well. It felt like Star Trek underwater. The first season was my favorite, the other two were... interesting but watchable. On the other hand, they weren't that far different than Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. Speaking of which, I've pretty much got the planning done for Wild Blue Submarines. I'm hoping to have a dev thread for that up shortly after fixing the bugs here and in my other mods.

What somebody needs to make is a series called Seaquest: Europa. With good creative minds behind it that could be very spiffy.

What somebody needs to make is a series called Seaquest: Europa. With good creative minds behind it that could be very spiffy.

Now that would be watchable. I would envision like prequel-days of the Expanse (in terms of realism and general attention to scientific detail, but still really early in their overall "space program") with overtones of.... "an ambitious scientific expedition will test the intrepid crew of the International Europa Mission, pushing the boundaries of scientific knowledge, space technology, and sheer human will in the face of the great unknown" :P Somebody develop that!

Edited by scottadges

26 minutes ago, scottadges said:

Now that would be watchable. I would envision like prequel-days of the Expanse (in terms of realism and general attention to scientific detail, but still really early in their overall "space program") with overtones of.... "an ambitious scientific expedition will test the intrepid crew of the International Europa Mission, pushing the boundaries of scientific knowledge, space technology, and sheer human will in the face of the great unknown" :P Somebody develop that!

...for beneath the waves lies the future...

6 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

...for beneath the waves lies the future...

And after a few years, we spin off to Seaquest: Enceladus where we find that 500 million years ago, a long-lost race of advanced and peaceful sentient invertebrates on Europa somehow found a way to send an colony expedition to Enceladus, where they discovered a whole new global aquatic ecosystem. But something in that ocean changed them, and like Spock with a goatee they became the evil twins, ruling the life in Enceladus' ocean with an iron tentacle. And our arrival teaches them what machines are needed to travel through space to find new oceans. And that's how the First Interplanetary Oceanic War started, with the sentient species of Europa and Earth vs. the invasion of ravenous oceanic super-predators from Enceladus. You think Megaladon is scary? Wait until you see the horrors that the incredibly skilled genetic manipulation of the Enceladusians can set free...

4 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

I came back a day or two later and it said they had a productivity of 5.76. I have no clue why it was zero or why it's 5.76 now.

Next issue - I built my Buffalo mining vehicle, and am trying to configure the ISRU. First thing that looked unusual was that the three buttons were blank, no graphic on them for the different configuration options.

I choose Universal Converter and click Reconfigure twice to confirm, and nothing happens. Clicking on Converters says this configuration has no converters. I've done this before quite a few times so I don't think I'm forgetting anything, this looks like a bug. That said I don't see any exceptions or errors in the log that look relevant.

Sorry Angel, using this all right now and keep hitting problems. Building my mining rover went fine (except for the ISRU issue) until I realized that in a moment of inspired genius I had installed the Buffalo drills upside down. I must have been going for those newfangled atmospheric mining techniques. Anyway I skipped back to a save while the build was in progress, and hit cancel in the build UI. Something then exploded and my viewpoint shifted to underground (all I could see is sky) and the camera wouldn't move at all. So I went back to a save even earlier in the build, when it had just started. I hit cancel again, same explosion, same stuck camera position.

You'll forgive me if I avoid canceling a build with the disposable launchpad. Does the launchpad destroy itself if you cancel the build? If so it seems there is some collateral damage.

Edited by vossiewulf

7 hours ago, vossiewulf said:

Sorry Angel, using this all right now and keep hitting problems. Building my mining rover went fine (except for the ISRU issue) until I realized that in a moment of inspired genius I had installed the Buffalo drills upside down. I must have been going for those newfangled atmospheric mining techniques. Anyway I skipped back to a save while the build was in progress, and hit cancel in the build UI. Something then exploded and my viewpoint shifted to underground (all I could see is sky) and the camera wouldn't move at all. So I went back to a save even earlier in the build, when it had just started. I hit cancel again, same explosion, same stuck camera position.

You'll forgive me if I avoid canceling a build with the disposable launchpad. Does the launchpad destroy itself if you cancel the build? If so it seems there is some collateral damage.

Anything related to Extraplanetary Launchpads should be brought up in the EL thread. :) I don't have anything to do with that functionality other than to create parts that use the EL plugin.

5 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Anything related to Extraplanetary Launchpads should be brought up in the EL thread. :) I don't have anything to do with that functionality other than to create parts that use the EL plugin.

Ok, I didn't know if this was behavior you set up for the disposable launchpad. I've canceled builds on regular EL launchpads before without a problem. I'll ask over there, although not seeing many answers in that thread.

On 8/7/2018 at 12:39 AM, vossiewulf said:

Next issue - I built my Buffalo mining vehicle, and am trying to configure the ISRU. First thing that looked unusual was that the three buttons were blank, no graphic on them for the different configuration options.

I choose Universal Converter and click Reconfigure twice to confirm, and nothing happens. Clicking on Converters says this configuration has no converters. I've done this before quite a few times so I don't think I'm forgetting anything, this looks like a bug. That said I don't see any exceptions or errors in the log that look relevant.

Did you see this one Angel? I think this is Buffalo, not EL - the Buffalo ISRU seems broken, no matter what I do it says there are no converters for the Universal Converter configuration. I've looked through the log, I don't see anything that looks linked to this.

Demonstration:

Edited by vossiewulf
Added video

Buffalo 2.6.0: Water Buffalo is now available for release!

When I created the Buffalo back in 2015, I had the notion that the Modular Space Exploration Vehicle system would have parts for land, sea, air, and space. Various updates including Buffalo Wings enabled the craft to operate in 3 of the 4 environments- until now. With this release, you can turn the Buffalo into a submarine with its new ballast tanks and aquatic engines and aquatic RCS thrusters. For more automatic control of the ballast tanks, the new Guppy Submersible Cab has a dive computer that can trim the boat and work the ballast tank vents and pumps. There's also some quality of life part updates too.

Finally, I'm happy to say that the Buffalo MSEV mod is feature complete!

At this point, the Buffalo will receive maintenance updates and maybe an occasional part or two (I'd like to figure out how to make a docking port freely pivot so I can have trailer hitches), so it won't be quietly going away.

New Parts
- Guppy Submersible Cab (Specialized Control): The aquatic version of the iconic Buffalo Command Cab, the Guppy is optimized for the aquatic environment. It comes with a dive computer that can trim the boat (level it in the water if the vessel has trim tanks) and dive or surface the boat (if the vessel has ballast tanks).
- Tundra 100 (Advanced Construction): Half the length of a Tundra 200, the 100 provides a small amount of storage.
- Buffalo Ballast Tank (Specialized Control): Designed to help your vessels submerge and surface, the Ballast Tank can pump intake liquid in and out of the tank- both over time and rapidly. It can also be set up as a forward or aft trim tank to help level your craft in the water.
- External Ballast Tank (Specialized Control): This Size 0 ballast tank can can be used to both dive or suface the boat and can serve as a trim tank to help level out the craft.
- Ballast Vent (Specialized Control): Attach this vent to any part that has IntakeLqd in it to use said part as a ballast tank.
- Ballast Cone (Advance Construction): This cone contains a small amount of Lead for ballast. It comes in Type 1 and Type 2 variants.
- Equipment Pylon (Advanced Construction): This decoupler serves as a mounting point for parts like the External Ballast Tank.
- Buffalo Type 5 Cone (Advanced Construction): This new cone comes equipped with Lead ballast, KIS storage, and has two spots in the back for Size 0 parts.
- WB-24 "EbbTide" Aquatic Engine (Precision Propulsion): This combined electric motor and diving plane is specially designed for the aquatic environment. In addition to generating thrust, it can pivot up and down like an aircraft control surface to aid in navigation.
- WB-25 "NeapTide" Aquatic Engine (Precision Propulsion): This powerful electric motor is specially designed for the aquatic environment.
- Aquatic RCS Thruster (Precision Propulsion): This RCS thruster is specially designed for the aquatic environment.

Part Updates
- Updated the Flex Fuel Power Pack to reflect its role as a multi-fueled diesel-electric portable generator and adjusted its fuel consumption types and values. It also fixes issues with setting up action groups.
- The JetWing finally has a seat! It was originally designed to be worn as a backpack accessory for the Outback and you would walk around with it, but that never panned out...
- Remodeled the Outback to reflect that it's not longer a pack that has accessories (that were never successfully made).
- Redesigned the Outback: it now has OmniStorage in place of its older template system as well as a small ballast system for diving.
- Moved the Buffalo Drill to Advanced Exploration, and gave it drill effects.

At the top of your OP for this mod you have a download link to "Wild Blue Tools."

Is that a dependency for this mod?

NVM, you probably would have bundled it like you did with Pathfinder if it was a requirement......

Edited by JoE Smash

On 8/7/2018 at 4:43 AM, vossiewulf said:

Instead of canceling the build and going to old saves, can't you use an engineer with the KIS/KAS mod to cut parts off things and reattach them somehow with tools? Just take the drills off and then reattach them with the correct orientation. I don't recall the exact buttons to press to do this but I know you just need an engineer with a screwdriver or wrench to take crap off something....I forget how to grab it and put it into inventory so you can reattach it, but I think it is possible.....

1 hour ago, JoE Smash said:

Instead of canceling the build and going to old saves, can't you use an engineer with the KIS/KAS mod to cut parts off things and reattach them somehow with tools? Just take the drills off and then reattach them with the correct orientation. I don't recall the exact buttons to press to do this but I know you just need an engineer with a screwdriver or wrench to take crap off something....I forget how to grab it and put it into inventory so you can reattach it, but I think it is possible.....

I've built and rebuilt entire Buffalo rovers on the Mun and Minmus. It's not super fun, it's tricky and I decided this time around I was going to seriously avoid on-site assembly. Once you get rocketparts production online there's no real reason not to build completed versions via your pad.

1 minute ago, vossiewulf said:

I've built and rebuilt entire Buffalo rovers on the Mun and Minmus. It's not super fun, it's tricky and I decided this time around I was going to seriously avoid on-site assembly. Once you get rocketparts production online there's no real reason not to build completed versions via your pad.

Yeah I understand, but you said you made a mistake. I was telling you how to fix it so you don't have to keep trying to reload saves or start over. If you don't want to do it then don't....

If you're playing with part pressure limits, next update might interest you:

DUQf21C.png

The Guppy's dive compute provides structural integrity improvements to enable you to dive deeper than the default 400m/4000 kPA limit. If more than one dive computer is found on the craft, then the highest pressure limit is used. 600m won't get you to the bottom of the sea. For that you need this WIP:

Kr9WOiY.jpg

Edited by Angel-125

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.