[Min KSP 1.12.2] Buffalo: NASA Inspired Modular Space Exploration Vehicle

Angelo Kerman

On 7/11/2019 at 12:54 PM, Space Kadet said:

Hello all, its been some time, and im finally getting back into this.......

so as usual i had a weird idea / request. a while back i thought of and cant remember if i mentioned rotatable vtol engines  like the prop ones you make.
the idea i has to save time, was basically the saddle tank with a nozzel on the back that could rotate round from backwards facing to down wards facing.  maybe a veriant for get and rocket.

The reasoning is that your rotating props are solid, but making rotating engines with robotics is unstable as hell. and i need landing engines for some fun craft :p 
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1797885959&searchtext=Transred
they could fit on a craft like this, and make it stable, or on the buff frame.... im also a willing tester :D  as im in craft development at the moment and making weird shiznae! 

At present the parts list is finalized, with the possible exception of a lab in the style of the Wagon, and a DLC related big rig trailer swivel. I tried the dlc servos with stock jet engines and they worked, what was the issue with your attempts?

On 7/16/2019 at 8:52 PM, Angel-125 said:

At present the parts list is finalized, with the possible exception of a lab in the style of the Wagon, and a DLC related big rig trailer swivel. I tried the dlc servos with stock jet engines and they worked, what was the issue with your attempts?

oh so many issues! they arent stable. they seam to be weaker that IR joints, so their either tearing them selves appart or creating yaw that makes them unflawable.  and thats when i can use them, 90% (and thats probably an understatment) of the crafts i make wont launch and i just get kicked back to the ksc. ive literally just made on with mk3 parts and 4 pistons working as gear. not even 20 parts and it crashed to ksc

I genuinly hate this DLC. if its not crashing then its ripping its self appart. i use to do alot with Infernal robitcs and got a problem occasionally, but these parts are basically unusable.

Kase in point that craft i linked only launches 1 in 3 times. Thats why i figured id ask cause your rotating props work beautifually, so i figured (i know this is more work than im making it sound like) but if you pulled the code from the prop, placed it in a saddle container, added a nozzel that rotates and a jet effect , and jebs your uncle theres a decent rotating vtol engine for some madness :p 

But if the parts list is all complete thats fair play. I just thought id try my luck. 

4 hours ago, Space Kadet said:

oh so many issues! they arent stable. they seam to be weaker that IR joints, so their either tearing them selves appart or creating yaw that makes them unflawable.  and thats when i can use them, 90% (and thats probably an understatment) of the crafts i make wont launch and i just get kicked back to the ksc. ive literally just made on with mk3 parts and 4 pistons working as gear. not even 20 parts and it crashed to ksc

I genuinly hate this DLC. if its not crashing then its ripping its self appart. i use to do alot with Infernal robitcs and got a problem occasionally, but these parts are basically unusable.

Kase in point that craft i linked only launches 1 in 3 times. Thats why i figured id ask cause your rotating props work beautifually, so i figured (i know this is more work than im making it sound like) but if you pulled the code from the prop, placed it in a saddle container, added a nozzel that rotates and a jet effect , and jebs your uncle theres a decent rotating vtol engine for some madness :p 

But if the parts list is all complete thats fair play. I just thought id try my luck. 

Fair enough. It might be relatively quick to use the gas turbine model as a basis for a rotating tilt jet. Then something like the AV-8B Harrier jump jet engine. I will consider it.

Just now, Angel-125 said:

Fair enough. It might be relatively quick to use the gas turbine model as a basis for a rotating tilt jet. Then something like the AV-8B Harrier jump jet engine. I will consider it.

thats genious, i never thought of a harrier engine! and if you where goin for realism they still kicked out air for the balance system... well thanks for the thought. and as usual im lovin the mods. im messin about with KFS alot now, and usin snacks instead of TAC!

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if the latest version works in 1.6.1, guess I'll test it and report my findings.

Finding: Not only does the 1.7.3 version work with 1.6.1, but one of the other rover part mods that was mentioned also still works despite being for 1.3.0

Edited by Nyarlathotep-

@Angel-125, I'm having trouble using Buffalo in 1.7.3.  It's really putting a load on my system.  The game runs fine for me despite lots of mods until I start messing with Buffalo.  Even in the editor, just selecting the Buffalo cab causes a huge FPS hit, which then continues through flight with the thing.  I uninstalled Buffalo and this problem went away.

46 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

@Angel-125, I'm having trouble using Buffalo in 1.7.3.  It's really putting a load on my system.  The game runs fine for me despite lots of mods until I start messing with Buffalo.  Even in the editor, just selecting the Buffalo cab causes a huge FPS hit, which then continues through flight with the thing.  I uninstalled Buffalo and this problem went away.

I would definitely need to see logs to see what is going on. Be sure to update to the latest including Wild Blue Tools.

@Angel-125 think I found a typo in GuppyCab.cfg - you have PARTUPGRADE wbiGuppy1 twice at the end of the file.  I'm guessing it was supposed to be wbiGuppy1 and wbiGuppy2?  That's what's previously listed in the UPGRADES module.  My game started throwing an exception tonight out of the blue because of this, not sure why it started doing it, worked fine last night, I updated KSPI and then this.

For reference, here's what showed up in the log:

LOG 23:37:16.884] [KSPI]: PluginHelper indexed PARTUPGRADE wbiGuppy1 with techRequired fieldScience
[LOG 23:37:16.884] [KSPI]: PluginHelper indexed PARTUPGRADE wbiGuppy1 with techRequired advScienceTech
[EXC 23:37:16.886] ArgumentException: An element with the same key already exists in the dictionary.
	System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.String,PartUpgradeHandler+Upgrade].Add (System.String key, .Upgrade value)
	FNPlugin.PluginHelper.get_PartUpgradeByName ()
	FNPlugin.PluginHelper.UpgradeAvailable (System.String id)
	FNPlugin.Wasteheat.FNRadiator.DetermineGenerationType ()
	FNPlugin.Wasteheat.FNRadiator.GetInfo ()
	PartLoader.CompilePartInfo (.AvailablePart newPartInfo, .Part part)
	PartLoader+<CompileParts>c__Iterator1.MoveNext ()
	UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (IEnumerator enumerator, IntPtr returnValueAddress)

On 8/10/2019 at 1:09 AM, MaxPeck said:

@Angel-125 think I found a typo in GuppyCab.cfg - you have PARTUPGRADE wbiGuppy1 twice at the end of the file.  I'm guessing it was supposed to be wbiGuppy1 and wbiGuppy2?  That's what's previously listed in the UPGRADES module.  My game started throwing an exception tonight out of the blue because of this, not sure why it started doing it, worked fine last night, I updated KSPI and then this.

For reference, here's what showed up in the log:

LOG 23:37:16.884] [KSPI]: PluginHelper indexed PARTUPGRADE wbiGuppy1 with techRequired fieldScience
[LOG 23:37:16.884] [KSPI]: PluginHelper indexed PARTUPGRADE wbiGuppy1 with techRequired advScienceTech
[EXC 23:37:16.886] ArgumentException: An element with the same key already exists in the dictionary.
	System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.String,PartUpgradeHandler+Upgrade].Add (System.String key, .Upgrade value)
	FNPlugin.PluginHelper.get_PartUpgradeByName ()
	FNPlugin.PluginHelper.UpgradeAvailable (System.String id)
	FNPlugin.Wasteheat.FNRadiator.DetermineGenerationType ()
	FNPlugin.Wasteheat.FNRadiator.GetInfo ()
	PartLoader.CompilePartInfo (.AvailablePart newPartInfo, .Part part)
	PartLoader+<CompileParts>c__Iterator1.MoveNext ()
	UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (IEnumerator enumerator, IntPtr returnValueAddress)

Exact same issue & error log here. I changed the advScienceTech part upgrade from wbiGuppy1 to wbiGuppy2 and now KSP finishes loading with the latest KSPIe (1.22.5.4)

4 hours ago, Aerospacesmith said:

Exact same issue & error log here. I changed the advScienceTech part upgrade from wbiGuppy1 to wbiGuppy2 and now KSP finishes loading with the latest KSPIe (1.22.5.4)

I made the same change.  Weird that it suddenly started out of nowhere.  Buffalo hasn't updated recently, as far as I know...

• 2 weeks later...

welllllllll to extend the word... so i just saw the kerbal 2 trailer. so @Angel-125 do you recon you will have some free time to convert your mods for the new game in about a year?  :p not lookin for an answer, i think i know how much work would go into reskinning stuff, however if you are at some point, get a patreon up, im sure im not the only one that will send you some beers!

and i just saw this vid and am trying to make it in buffalo...

3 hours ago, Space Kadet said:

welllllllll to extend the word... so i just saw the kerbal 2 trailer. so @Angel-125 do you recon you will have some free time to convert your mods for the new game in about a year?  :p not lookin for an answer, i think i know how much work would go into reskinning stuff, however if you are at some point, get a patreon up, im sure im not the only one that will send you some beers!

and i just saw this vid and am trying to make it in buffalo...

Thanks for the sentiments. :)It is nice to see that parts that I made like DSEV's fusion engine and Pathfinder's inflatable base modules have similar concepts in the new game... From what I've seen thus far of KSP 2, it pretty much has all the parts that I've made in mods over the years, so depending upon what they deliver, I might not need to port over MOLE, DSEV, Buffalo, or Pathfinder. But it does sound like part sizes remain the same, and the various videos and interviews released thus far make it sound like porting parts to KSP 2 won't be that bad. My guess is that I'll be able to port over my flying saucers. But we'll see in about a year.

In the meantime, here's a fix for the Guppy's part upgrades.

On 8/25/2019 at 9:51 PM, Angel-125 said:

Thanks for the sentiments. :)It is nice to see that parts that I made like DSEV's fusion engine and Pathfinder's inflatable base modules have similar concepts in the new game... From what I've seen thus far of KSP 2, it pretty much has all the parts that I've made in mods over the years, so depending upon what they deliver, I might not need to port over MOLE, DSEV, Buffalo, or Pathfinder. But it does sound like part sizes remain the same, and the various videos and interviews released thus far make it sound like porting parts to KSP 2 won't be that bad. My guess is that I'll be able to port over my flying saucers. But we'll see in about a year.

In the meantime, here's a fix for the Guppy's part upgrades.

Lookin at the pre alpha footage it just looks reskinned with some more parts. so im assuming your mods will just slot in:...

24 minutes ago, Space Kadet said:

Lookin at the pre alpha footage it just looks reskinned with some more parts. so im assuming your mods will just slot in:...

Yeah, but will they be needed? I'm not sure... It depends upon what the part set is in the new game. I'm pretty sure I won't need to port Pathfinder over, for instance.

Edited by Angel-125

On 8/30/2019 at 7:39 PM, Angel-125 said:

Yeah, but will they be needed? I'm not sure... It depends upon what the part set is in the new game. I'm pretty sure I won't need to port Pathfinder over, for instance.

of course they will! aside from the stuff switching (fuel, etc), we all know how well itll work under current managment :p 

one day ill make a helicopter that wont explode.....

• 2 weeks later...

Notice to @Angel-125  There is a major incompatibilty issue between your mods and Kerbalsim because they both define  the Atmosphere resource. Kerbalsim uses proper STP standard while your mod uses its custom density, causing all habitats KSP to become many tons heavier than they should be, effectively cripling players campaign. I didn't notice until I experience simply rover becoming havier that a super heavy combat tank.  to prevent future conflicts, I recommend registring all your resource with CRP or something

Edited by FreeThinker

3 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Notice to @Angel-125  There is a major incompatibilty issue between your mods and Kerbalsim because they both define  the Atmosphere resource. Kerbalsim uses proper STP standard while your mod uses its custom density, causing all habitats KSP to become many tons heavier than they should be, effectively cripling players campaign. I didn't notice until I experience simply rover becoming havier that a super heavy combat tank.  to prevent future conflicts, I recommend registring all your resource with CRP or something

None of my mods are compatible withe Kerbalism. For that you’ll need to write a MM patch. My current schedule doesn’t allow time for that.

• 3 weeks later...

I just observed that travel itineraries are not updated if the passenger is inside a Long Passenger Cab for orbital and sub orbital objectives. Fly-By did work for some strange reason....

Stock passenger parts work fine. Any Ideas ? Actually this cabin is smallest and most lightweight except for external seats :-)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Lisias said:

Thanks, friend. I suspected it was 2.0.8, but i wasn't sure. i noticed with later releases, he would state in the notes: "this is the final update for [insert KSP version here]", but there wasn't one for 1.2.2.

now, maybe i can finally finish this damned rover. :lol:

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.