[Min KSP 1.12.2] Buffalo: NASA Inspired Modular Space Exploration Vehicle

Angelo Kerman

On 2/4/2017 at 1:58 PM, Angel-125 said:

Folks, I've been at this for two years, and I put a crap ton of work into my mods to make them the best they can be. I build these mods because they're what I want to use in my game, and I share them with others so they can have fun too. When I got started, I could program like I was ringing a bell, but I knew next to nothing about modding KSP. That didn't stop me from learning, and it shouldn't stop you either. So instead of coming in here guns blazing about all the problems you see, why not back up your game, learn how things work, and see what you can do to improve things? Then share what you did so others benefit too? If that's not something you're willing to do, that's fine, the majority aren't so inclined. But don't expect sunshine and roses if all you do is post about how bad things are.

You don't have source available(or I'm just blind, i never looked at the Original post, just got off of Spacedock) Yay source, don't know what the hell to do with it. so how would i be able to move the node on the hitch without having to reload 1294 ^6 times, already established that the part teleportation was due to KAS and the ponderosa was just KSP being a glitchlord. the only thing programming-wise would be the custom headlights module not working right with KSP's lighting system. Anyways, love the mod, there was no reason to be so honory(Read:abrasive) about me just reporting some bits that take either a keen eye to notice or a really stupid brain to have occur.

Alright enough complaining and general dramatic skull-[REDACTING] insanity.

I found a problem with the latest version of ASET props. Both the current CKAN version and the beta linked a couple of pages back. The new 1.4 version of ASET props (CKAN version) isn't being identified as [ASET_PROP] but rather [ASET].

I was able to make the ASET prop version of the IVA view load correctly by editing 2 files:

------ BuffaloCab.cfg -------

//@PART[WBI_BuffaloCab]:NEEDS[ASET_PROPS]
@PART[WBI_BuffaloCab]:NEEDS[ASET]

----- BuffaloCabASET.cfg -----

//INTERNAL:NEEDS[ASET_PROPS]
INTERNAL:NEEDS[ASET]

Enjoy!

32 minutes ago, mrh said:

I found a problem with the latest version of ASET props. Both the current CKAN version and the beta linked a couple of pages back. The new 1.4 version of ASET props (CKAN version) isn't being identified as [ASET_PROP] but rather [ASET].

I was able to make the ASET prop version of the IVA view load correctly by editing 2 files:

------ BuffaloCab.cfg -------

//@PART[WBI_BuffaloCab]:NEEDS[ASET_PROPS]
@PART[WBI_BuffaloCab]:NEEDS[ASET]

----- BuffaloCabASET.cfg -----

//INTERNAL:NEEDS[ASET_PROPS]
INTERNAL:NEEDS[ASET]

Enjoy!

Known issue that will get fixed next release. Thanks for the temp fix though. :)

Buffalo 1.2.0 is now available:

New Part
- SCP Adapter: Use this to adapt standard crew ports (like the Mineshaft) to 1.25m parts. Thanks for the suggestion, @JustJim! :)

WheelJack
- The top node of the WheelJack now serves as a docking port. Simply bolt the WheelJack to the ground and attach a stock Clamp-O-Tron Jr to the top (in KIS, cycle through the nodes until you select the "top" node). Then, attach a chassis or other part to the docking port, and continue your rover assembly. When finished, do a quicksave and reload, and finally, decouple the Clamp-O-Tron Jr. Thanks for the investigations, @Sudragon! :)

Bug Fixes
- Updated Buffalo ASET cockpit to use ASET 1.4: https://spacedock.info/mod/1204/ASET Props
- Fixed missing seats in the Buffalo command cab's ASET cockpit.
- Fixed ModuleManager for Snacks so it'll work properly now.

2 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

to help make the rovers go. :)

Somehow, some way, and for no good reason in particular, your answer just reminded me of my grandpa watching another tourist on a cruise ship: this tourist is videotaping (yes that's correct videotaping) his first day as he's looking out the window. He states to the viewer who'll never actually watch it "And see that 'spinny-thing' there?  I'm really sure it makes the boat go!"

The 'spinny-thing' was part of the ship's radar.....

8 minutes ago, smotheredrun said:

Somehow, some way, and for no good reason in particular, your answer just reminded me of my grandpa watching another tourist on a cruise ship: this tourist is videotaping (yes that's correct videotaping) his first day as he's looking out the window. He states to the viewer who'll never actually watch it "And see that 'spinny-thing' there?  I'm really sure it makes the boat go!"

The 'spinny-thing' was part of the ship's radar.....

LOL! Hey, I remember the days of VHS battling it out with Betamax, and remotes that required cables to operate...

• 2 weeks later...

Inspiration for next release: Buffalo Wings 

maxresdefault.jpg

Unfortunately, a V-22 engine would be a nightmare to make work in symmetry, but a ducted fan like the Samson's is doable. Even better, it can fold up for storage. :) My ducted fan will be electrically powered, and I'll have a gas turbine part that generates power- a lot compared to the Flex fuel power pack, but restricted to planets with oxygen atmospheres.

Edited by Angel-125

6 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Prototype for the Buffalo Wings (TM) update:

6M90vNO.png

I have to figure out the symmetry, and create some wings and saddle tanks, but it's conceptually working. :)

could you make the wings and the fans a single piece?  There is a part in Quiztech like that. 

4 hours ago, eberkain said:

could you make the wings and the fans a single piece?  There is a part in Quiztech like that. 

It's possible, but what would be the use case? Wouldn't that limit the use of the fans? They're not just for wings, you could attach them to the body of an aircraft. Plus, there's the mechanics involved of hooking up the control surfaces.

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

It's possible, but what would be the use case? Wouldn't that limit the use of the fans? They're not just for wings, you could attach them to the body of an aircraft. Plus, there's the mechanics involved of hooking up the control surfaces.

I was considering more the aesthetics, as pictured the fans make the footprint of the vessel really wide.  I don't really know what your ultimate goal with it is though.

5 hours ago, eberkain said:

I was considering more the aesthetics, as pictured the fans make the footprint of the vessel really wide.  I don't really know what your ultimate goal with it is though.

No worries. :) I'm considering making a half-scale version- same model, but half the size, and 50kN of thrust instead of 120. That test craft will fly with the smaller prop-rotors, but for me, doesn't look as nice. The stock wings on the test craft aren't right at all; I want to make some custom wings that'll fit the design better, and the gas turbine generator will replace the chassis sitting on the top. Like I said, it's a proof of concept prototype. :)

For the wide footprint, those prop-rotors will be able to fold up alongside the wing- I want the craft to fit inside the Heisenberg's aircraft hangar...

Edited by Angel-125

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.