[Min KSP 1.12.2] Buffalo: NASA Inspired Modular Space Exploration Vehicle

Angelo Kerman

1 hour ago, DStaal said:

On a minor issue while you're working on the rest: Would it be possible to rotate the trailer hitch so that 'front' for it is the same as the 'front' for the command cab and the AuxEn?  (I’m going flatbed-crazy at the moment, but the logical way to build them for me is to build them attached to my current Buffalo, and then detach.  Which works, but the resulting flatbed has 'forward' (on the nav ball and controls) being what I'd think of as 'up'.  So basically every time I switch to one I need to re-set 'control from here'.)

I plan to revamp the trailer hitch, so I'll look into it. I'm investigating ways to make surface docking easier. One solution is @DMagic's Flexible Docking Ports 2.0. I'd love to include that as part of the Buffalo mod, but regardless, I need to figure out how to make a proper model for the flexible port. Another solution is to maybe manually dock vessels together once they enter an invisible area.

@Angel-125 have you seen the work that IgorZ is working on with the upcoming version of KAS? It seems to me like the mechanics behind this would be just about perfect for a Buffalo hitch.

On ‎2016‎-‎09‎-‎09 at 3:29 AM, IgorZ said:

Another teaser of KAS 1.0 is ready. This time it's a complete part! Meet the new KAS part: Free telescopic joint. It's strong, so it keeps its length. Though, the joint pivots are free, so the connected bodies can move.

And I hate to repeat it, but it's still a prototype :( The code is being actively developed.

Forum thread (I know everyone has seen it before, but I figured I might as well link it since I quoted from it):

10 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

I plan to revamp the trailer hitch, so I'll look into it. I'm investigating ways to make surface docking easier. One solution is @DMagic's Flexible Docking Ports 2.0. I'd love to include that as part of the Buffalo mod, but regardless, I need to figure out how to make a proper model for the flexible port. Another solution is to maybe manually dock vessels together once they enter an invisible area.

Why not just make a hitch like a real trailer?  Think of a semi truck with a V shape attachment and a ball the locks into it.  Then add something like landing legs to the front of the trailer to lift it above the hitch.

15 minutes ago, Dr.Wolfram said:

Hi, i'm new in this mod. Just noticed that Buffalo's ISRU has ability to produce Konkrete... never heard about it and i cant find any info. What is that and how it works? What i can build? (Mun Bunkers:D?)

It's a yet-unused resource for a building system that Angel-125 is working on.

1 hour ago, Dr.Wolfram said:

Hi, i'm new in this mod. Just noticed that Buffalo's ISRU has ability to produce Konkrete... never heard about it and i cant find any info. What is that and how it works? What i can build? (Mun Bunkers:D?)

I have a construction project that I'm working on a bit at a time. Konkrete is one of those components. The ISRU's Prospector is another part of it. I built that after researching how to make concrete; apparently slag, the leftovers from ore processing, is a key component of making concrete. Hence, the Prospector produces Slag.

This mod makes it fun again to drive around on other bodies, after months of absence. Thank you !

I noticed that the ladders are somehow not working correctly, especially those of the crew/science module. A Kerbal is likely to fall through and between the wheels because it doesn't get a grip on the end of the ladder. Coming home, it cannot enter the cabin because it falls off the end of the ladder before it gets a grip on "B" or "F".

Just a hint, of course it can jetpack ...

8 hours ago, Green Baron said:

This mod makes it fun again to drive around on other bodies, after months of absence. Thank you !

I noticed that the ladders are somehow not working correctly, especially those of the crew/science module. A Kerbal is likely to fall through and between the wheels because it doesn't get a grip on the end of the ladder. Coming home, it cannot enter the cabin because it falls off the end of the ladder before it gets a grip on "B" or "F".

Just a hint, of course it can jetpack ...

Sounds like I missed something when converting to Unity 5. I'll take a look, thanks for the heads up :)

Thank you, Angel-125, this is a wonderful mod. 

I have just two one minor reports.

1. When installing Pathfinder and Buffalo's pre-release versions, I think one of them have some outdated dependencies. I was getting this console spam (log on dropbox). Spam had something with "RedecorateModule".

I tested only with MM, KAS and KIS and had no problem, but when I added Pathfinder + Buffalo, the spam happened.

It just happened when I installed Pathfinder and then Buffalo (overwriting everything asked).

I tried again installing first Buffalo and then Pathfinder (overwriting everything asked again) and the bug didn't happened anymore.

2. I don't know if this is a problem with my graphics card (notebook onboard :confused:), but even after sorting out that first report, TrailerHitch's model isn't being loaded. (I'm using the example craft provided on github. That tutorial is awesome, btw)

That was happening with the part provided with craft from tutorial on github. I just took it out and put a new on and it loaded perfectly. Maybe even the first report has something about it, but I'll leave it here anyway, because you can see if there is a problem or was just this part giving some problems.

Edited by Crabman

Get Buffalo 0.9.3 Here!

Updated to KSP 1.2.

Command Cab & AuxEn
- The command cab and the auxen support part upgrades to improve their SAS levels.
- Moved the AuxEn to Advanced Flight Control.

Redecorating & Converters
- For the modules that used to require Engineers, now any class that has the ConverterSkill qualifies to reconfigure modules. For modules that used to require Scientists, now any class with the ScienceSkill qualifies to reconfigure the modules. Ditto for converters.

A small part request:

I am playing around making small packable rovers with the small M1A0 Bearcub wheels in a sandbuggy style. There is one thing I find missing which is a part for easy mounting of seats. If I mount the seats on top of the chassi it kind of gets too high, so I would like a part with attachments points for the ATV seat on the side and attachments for the half-sized chassi. So a half-sized chassi frame in the middle, a sunken floor for the seats and a railing around the edge for surface attach things like mystery goo bay and other science instrument. Here is a simple sketch and a quick mockup from KSP. Problem is the move-tool is not available when you assemble the rover in the field with KIS.23wpm44.jpgjzv1n8.jpg

Edited by Prime flux
Added picture

Hello. Just today find this wonderful mode, but after installing i have some truble with text in "Contract" and "Enginer's report" menu in VAB.

Vm8BN26.jpg

ZUO1D6V.jpg

I reinstalled KSP and all mods separately with CKAN (when supported). This bug appears only after installing Buffalo 0.9.4 .

KSP: 1.2 (Win64) - Unity: 5.4.0p4 - OS: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (6.1.7601) 64bit
Achievements - 1.9.4
AutoAsparagus - 2.2.4
Community Resource Pack - 0.6
Kerbal Engineer Redux - 1.1.2
KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.6.2
Kerbal Planetary Base Systems - 1.1.6
RCS Build Aid - 0.9
SmartStage - 2.9.5
StageRecovery - 1.6.4.6
WildBlueTools - 1.7.3
Buffalo - 0.9.4

Edited by Tarius

13 hours ago, Prime flux said:

A small part request:

I am playing around making small packable rovers with the small M1A0 Bearcub wheels in a sandbuggy style. There is one thing I find missing which is a part for easy mounting of seats. If I mount the seats on top of the chassi it kind of gets too high, so I would like a part with attachments points for the ATV seat on the side and attachments for the half-sized chassi. So a half-sized chassi frame in the middle, a sunken floor for the seats and a railing around the edge for surface attach things like mystery goo bay and other science instrument. Here is a simple sketch and a quick mockup from KSP. Problem is the move-tool is not available when you assemble the rover in the field with KIS.

Interesting ideas. :) I have been thinking about a small rover to complement the Buffalo that's a bit nicer than the ATV. I had some small chassis components built some time ago, I'll see what I have and take a look at your proposal too. :)

Looking forward to see what comes from that :)

Btw a way to make the rover more narrow rover is to cut away the center console, and put the 2 seats closer together (wow, their helmets are big). Then it will look more like the Lunar rover. I highlighted the outline of the sides in yellow and the mounting plates in red. There is ofc place for a dashboard something simular.2mn3dxl.jpg

Edited by Prime flux
Added picture of mockup

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.