[Min KSP 1.12.2] Buffalo: NASA Inspired Modular Space Exploration Vehicle

Angelo Kerman

1 hour ago, infinite_monkey said:

How are you guys landing your rovers/bases? I recently installed Heisenberg Airships. It's fun to play around, but not very useful for space... But I really liked some of the parts, such as the cargo ramp, the cargo lift and the various elevators. @Angel-125 are there any plans to make something similar for rockets? At least a ramp and/or a crane? I was trying to build a lander similar to this one from NASA's Mars Exploration Zones video:

32A3D63500000578-3514059-image-a-32_1459

It doesn't show a ramp, the vehicles are already on the ground. But the lander is low enough for a ramp, so I guess this is how they got there in the first place. I was looking for mods containing a ramp without some sort of garage around it, but couldn't find one. Plus, I like the crane on the drone rover. I think something like this would fit nicely on the Buffalo. I'll try TweakScaling the crane that comes with one of your mods (don't remember which one).

No plans to make something similar for rockets. @Nertea makes some space station parts that might do something like what you want though..

8 minutes ago, infinite_monkey said:

I see. Unfortunately, there are no ramps there as well... So how do you land you Buffalo? Do you just build it on site using KIS?

I've landed them a few ways. There's the chassis decoupler, so you can land it vertically on a landing stage and just rotate forward after staging the decoupler. I've put engines on a large number of Buffalos and landed on their power after ditching a deorbiting stage. I've suspended them in large cargo bays and landed that horizontally, then just dropped out the bottom or jumped out the top. I've flown them there in a MkIV/OPT SSTO. Using EL is an option, but I kinda prefer any of those others.

40 minutes ago, infinite_monkey said:

I see. Unfortunately, there are no ramps there as well... So how do you land you Buffalo? Do you just build it on site using KIS?

I use the Kopernicus landing frame from DSEV. When that tech hasn't been unlocked, then I use the Buffalo decoupler and some jump jets from the Buffalo.

Edited by Angel-125

• 1 month later...

@Angel-125

I really like the new Recycler Arm with the integrated magnet and blow torch.  It's almost everything I could ever want to start pre-positioning a base.  The only think that would make it perfect would be for it to have the ability to go into KIS containers and pull items, and/or the ability to attach them like the KIS wrench/screwdriver do.  Any chance that's even a remote possibility?  With the AI workshop now included in OSE, you'd have the ability to set up nearly automated bases and have them turnkey ready for your kerbals when they land...

6 hours ago, MaxPeck said:

@Angel-125

I really like the new Recycler Arm with the integrated magnet and blow torch.  It's almost everything I could ever want to start pre-positioning a base.  The only think that would make it perfect would be for it to have the ability to go into KIS containers and pull items, and/or the ability to attach them like the KIS wrench/screwdriver do.  Any chance that's even a remote possibility?  With the AI workshop now included in OSE, you'd have the ability to set up nearly automated bases and have them turnkey ready for your kerbals when they land...

It is possible to drag parts from a KIS container and place them somewhere. Create a .cfg file somewhere in GameData with this content:

@PART[Name_of_the_part_where_you_need_the_functionality]
{
	MODULE:NEEDS[KIS]
	{
		name = ModuleKISPickup
		allowPartAttach = true
		allowStaticAttach = true
		allowPartStack = true
		maxDistance = 5
		grabMaxMass = 10
		dropSndPath = KIS/Sounds/drop
		attachPartSndPath = KIS/Sounds/attachPart
		detachPartSndPath= KIS/Sounds/detachPart
		attachStaticSndPath= KIS/Sounds/attachStatic
		detachStaticSndPath= KIS/Sounds/detachStatic
	}
}

Just put in the name of the part you want to modify (wildcards are possible). This is configured for a 5m radius (from the center of mass of the part, if I remember correctly) and a maximum mass of 10 metric tons. I have this on a part that itself has KIS storage, I'm not sure if it can also handle storage from other parts.

9 hours ago, infinite_monkey said:

It is possible to drag parts from a KIS container and place them somewhere. Create a .cfg file somewhere in GameData with this content:

@PART[Name_of_the_part_where_you_need_the_functionality]
{
	MODULE:NEEDS[KIS]
	{
		name = ModuleKISPickup
		allowPartAttach = true
		allowStaticAttach = true
		allowPartStack = true
		maxDistance = 5
		grabMaxMass = 10
		dropSndPath = KIS/Sounds/drop
		attachPartSndPath = KIS/Sounds/attachPart
		detachPartSndPath= KIS/Sounds/detachPart
		attachStaticSndPath= KIS/Sounds/attachStatic
		detachStaticSndPath= KIS/Sounds/detachStatic
	}
}

Just put in the name of the part you want to modify (wildcards are possible). This is configured for a 5m radius (from the center of mass of the part, if I remember correctly) and a maximum mass of 10 metric tons. I have this on a part that itself has KIS storage, I'm not sure if it can also handle storage from other parts.

I just wrote this into a MM patch and it’s loading now. If this works as advertised, it’s a game changer!

EDIT: Results - partially works. I can pull from a container and put things on the ground, but cannot attach them. Do I need ModuleKISItemAttachTool also, maybe?  And does the probe core or whatever need Repair Skill?

Edited by MaxPeck

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm...

Updated to 1.7 and now I have 4 separate individual Buffalo MMSVE tabs in my VAB/SP parts tab which has the wagon looking icon....  All the tabs also have all the same parts listed in each one.

Anyone else have something similar and know how to fix it?

Thanks!

Edited by Kilo60

7 hours ago, Kilo60 said:

Hmmm...

Updated to 1.7 and now I have 4 separate individual Buffalo MMSVE tabs in my VAB/SP parts tab which has the wagon looking icon....  All the tabs also have all the same parts listed in each one.

Remove (Doesn't have to be "delete") the WildBlueIndustries folder from GameData. If any WBI category buttons remain then you somehow have WBI installed elsewhere, hidden in another mod's folder. I have tried 1.7 and not met your problem.

You might want to delete GameData/ModuleManager.ConfigCache too.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

13 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Remove (Doesn't have to be "delete") the WildBlueIndustries folder from GameData. If any WBI category buttons remain then you somehow have WBI installed elsewhere, hidden in another mod's folder. I have tried 1.7 and not met your problem.

You might want to delete GameData/ModuleManager.ConfigCache too.

Thanks!

I wonder if i may be so bold as to request in a future update a new part (or two actually).

The cargo ramp from both Buffalo and Bison Gondola Cargo ramp.

That would allow for loading wheeled utilities and other smaller rovers on site that are taller then the alotted space in the cargo containers.

--Managed to pull out the ramp from SXT Continued.

I used from both the Buffalo and the Heisenburg pack.

I've used the chassi to extend the fladbeds to allow for loading of wide or larger wheeled or tracked rovers.

As per images:

4raJMBT.png

vzY9a9o.png

I made something similar in the wayback with LLL;

kCAZpEr.png

AlA5mlZ.png

And if i havent already said so, these mods are awesome.

EDIT: I'm working on extracting just the ramp-part from SXT. If there is interest, i could put up a download link if anyone else is interested.

EDIT2: Got the ramp separated (i think without kraken visiting). Side ramp for small stuff, large ramp in the rear with platform to store stuff and space for some additional modules too.

hLaUgKo.png

Ohh, and a small demonstration on how to launch stuff into water from land. It has a decoupler on a long chassi. Works with a dockingport as well :)

sNCaAZ7.png

Edited by mrstoned

• 3 weeks later...

I have 2 contracts in WBIResearchContract that say to transport a science experiment to a planet but they give no information on what part I need to take.  How am I supposed to complete these contracts?  (check experiment for details), what experiment?

11 hours ago, Nuggzy said:

I have 2 contracts in WBIResearchContract that say to transport a science experiment to a planet but they give no information on what part I need to take.  How am I supposed to complete these contracts?  (check experiment for details), what experiment?

Would you mind posting the details of each contract? It'd help us answer your question better. Also, which specific WBI mods are you using?

9 hours ago, capi3101 said:

Would you mind posting the details of each contract? It'd help us answer your question better. Also, which specific WBI mods are you using?

Research long term cryogenic storage preliminary study at dres

Research space adaption study at duna

The only WBI mods I am using is what I downloaded from here, wbi tools and buffalo, as far as I know, what other mods are there?

10 hours ago, Nuggzy said:

The only WBI mods I am using is what I downloaded from here, wbi tools and buffalo, as far as I know, what other mods are there?

The others I can name (because I'm using) are Pathfinder (which gives you parts for inflatable/mobile bases), MOLE (which gives you Gemini-style parts) and BARIS (for part breakdowns, because that's fun in the Dwarf Fortress sense apparently - I don't actually use that one). There's another one that gives you zeppelin parts but the name escapes me (Bison, I think), and then there's the flying saucer one, whose name also escapes me. There may be other WBI mods out there; someone else can check me on this.

Buffalo by itself doesn't have access to the experiments you're looking for; double-checked that this morning. I'll suggest downloading MOLE; I rather like the Gemini-style parts myself and it offers a fair bit of flexibility. The Long-Duration Exposure...Facilities? Something...(LDEF) parts that come with it have the experiments in question as individual parts, which you can hook up to a central core. It also has the MOLE lab, which you can set up with a 2-star scientist or better and an antenna. Do that and you can get orbital experiments sent up from KSC as you need them.

If you also get Extraplanetary Launchpads, MOLE comes with a pair of drydock parts that let you build stuff in orbit. Add Pathfinder to the mix and you get access to a whole slew of remote base parts, including Pipeline mass drivers, which make keeping those orbital bases supplied a fair sight easier. All a question of what kind of in-game experience you want, of course.

1 hour ago, capi3101 said:

The others I can name (because I'm using) are Pathfinder (which gives you parts for inflatable/mobile bases), MOLE (which gives you Gemini-style parts) and BARIS (for part breakdowns, because that's fun in the Dwarf Fortress sense apparently - I don't actually use that one). There's another one that gives you zeppelin parts but the name escapes me (Bison, I think), and then there's the flying saucer one, whose name also escapes me. There may be other WBI mods out there; someone else can check me on this.

Buffalo by itself doesn't have access to the experiments you're looking for; double-checked that this morning. I'll suggest downloading MOLE; I rather like the Gemini-style parts myself and it offers a fair bit of flexibility. The Long-Duration Exposure...Facilities? Something...(LDEF) parts that come with it have the experiments in question as individual parts, which you can hook up to a central core. It also has the MOLE lab, which you can set up with a 2-star scientist or better and an antenna. Do that and you can get orbital experiments sent up from KSC as you need them.

If you also get Extraplanetary Launchpads, MOLE comes with a pair of drydock parts that let you build stuff in orbit. Add Pathfinder to the mix and you get access to a whole slew of remote base parts, including Pipeline mass drivers, which make keeping those orbital bases supplied a fair sight easier. All a question of what kind of in-game experience you want, of course.

They are in WBI folder somewhere, I read the quest info for the adaption contract in one of the config files before I posted here looking for help. I just don't understand why it can't list the actual part name that I need to use.

I use all of the USI stuff and KIS/KAS for all of my construction, don't really want to clutter it up with launchpads.

Edited by Nuggzy

2 hours ago, Nuggzy said:

They are in WBI folder somewhere, I read the quest info for the adaption contract in one of the config files before I posted here looking for help. I just don't understand why it can't list the actual part name that I need to use.

In your case, it's because you don't have any of the parts that can do the job installed. You need MOLE or Pathfinder - one or the other. Sorry that I can't offer better help than that.

1 hour ago, capi3101 said:

In your case, it's because you don't have any of the parts that can do the job installed. You need MOLE or Pathfinder - one or the other. Sorry that I can't offer better help than that.

I had similar problems before. This is clearly a bug. Contracts should come with the parts they need and not rely on some other mods.

13 minutes ago, infinite_monkey said:

I had similar problems before. This is clearly a bug. Contracts should come with the parts they need and not rely on some other mods.

I'd agree with this statement; I've had the Knuts survey come up before in my contract list. You can only do that one if you've got life support mods, which I don't.

6 hours ago, capi3101 said:

There may be other WBI mods out there; someone else can check me on this.

The other mod is DSEV or deep space exploration vessels. The airship mod is called Heisenberg. There is also Snacks and Kerbal Komets. You got the rest of them. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.