[Min KSP 1.12.2] Buffalo: NASA Inspired Modular Space Exploration Vehicle

Angelo Kerman

Buffalo pre-release 0.9.11 is available.

- Fixes issues with IVA Overlay

- Adds Service Bay

At this point I just need to finish the cargo ramp, the RCS module, and the ground stabilizer. I might be able to fix the wheels from slipping while the brakes are on too, but I'm not holding my breath.

On November 5, 2016 at 8:51 PM, Angel-125 said:

@adsii1970

This is for the HL10 gondola, but this is what I can do with an IVA designed for the stock IVA overlay and transparent windows:

BUe3776.png

Just need to do some revisions to the Buffalo IVAs to make this effect.

This has some possibilities for making a LeTourneau style land train for exploration. 

http://imgur.com/l4RtgXM

hello. i think i found a bug. after installing your latest pre-release 9.11 the portraits of the kerbals in the Buffalo command pod vanished, i turned back to pre-release 9.8 and they came back again. can you confirm?

Edited by PmThay

31 minutes ago, PmThay said:

hello. i think i found a bug. after installing your latest pre-release 9.11 the portraits of the kerbals in the Buffalo command pod vanished, i turned back to pre-release 9.8 and they came back again. can you confirm?

Definitely not seeing your issue:

a8ABTDT.png

3 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Definitely not seeing your issue:

a8ABTDT.png

Strange. maybe a conflict with another mod that i use?
because in version 9.11 i can´t do eva with the kerbals nor can i enter de command pod view, but in version 9.8 i can.
i'm going to try to install the latest pre release again, maybe i have done something wrong.

6 minutes ago, PmThay said:

Strange. maybe a conflict with another mod that i use?
because in version 9.11 i can´t do eva with the kerbals nor can i enter de command pod view, but in version 9.8 i can.
i'm going to try to install the latest pre release again, maybe i have done something wrong.

It's possible. I've verified that I can EVA from not just the command pod, but every other crewed part in 9.11. Tested both with and without JSI Transparent Pods. No issues that I can see. Are others experiencing the same problem?

2 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

It's possible. I've verified that I can EVA from not just the command pod, but every other crewed part in 9.11. Tested both with and without JSI Transparent Pods. No issues that I can see. Are others experiencing the same problem?

Found it. :D

It was RasterPropMonitor.0.28.0.beta4.

I removed it and Buffalo command pod shows kerbals again. it was a little scary for me because i have around 50-60 mods installed, but i thought what mods could conflict with yours and i tried this one. Raster prop still works with your version 9.8, but it looks that it doesn't work well with 9.11. 

11 hours ago, PmThay said:

Found it. :D

It was RasterPropMonitor.0.28.0.beta4.

I removed it and Buffalo command pod shows kerbals again. it was a little scary for me because i have around 50-60 mods installed, but i thought what mods could conflict with yours and i tried this one. Raster prop still works with your version 9.8, but it looks that it doesn't work well with 9.11. 

Interesting. I wonder what the difference is. Do you have ASET iva props installed?

Buffalo 0.9.12 pre-release is now available.

New Parts

• Cargo Ramp
  • Buffalo RCS Module with RCS, SAS, and jump jets!
  • Mk2 5-way RCS Module

Bug Fixes & Enhancements

• Fixed ladders on Crew Cabin
  • Improved Crew Cab lab functionality. Must unlock Field Science first.
  • Modified Mk1 5-way RCS thruster.

@TheReadPanda

kn9YOuy.png

New Mineshaft used as a KAS port:

GTrRk6m.png

Using the new Mineshaft to dock rovers together:

Yzso86S.png

In-orbit test of the new RCS Module

sg1tTSF.png

yJ77BrI.png

Edited by Angel-125

On 23.11.2016 at 5:15 AM, Angel-125 said:

yJ77BrI.png

I think, I've found a problem with Aero Cone. The mesh type doesn't save. I mean, I select mesh type and launch craft and everything is OK, but when I load saved craft file in SPH, Aero Cone's mesh switches back to default type. Tried this on clean install (with just Buffalo and module manager) -- the issue is still there.

Edited by Shnyrik

3 hours ago, Shnyrik said:

I think, I've found a problem with Aero Cone. The mesh type doesn't save. I mean, I select mesh type and launch craft and everything is OK, but when I load saved craft file in SPH, Aero Cone's mesh switches back to default type. Tried this on clean install (with just Buffalo and module manager) -- the issue is still there.

Thanks for the feedback I've actually split up the aerocones for the next release. :)

Finished the ground stabilizer today, tweaked SAS values on the RCS Module, and fixed some graphics bugs with the Buffalo command cab. All in all, a good day. :) I'm in the final stretch for the 1.0 release, I just need to do some testing on an idea that @TheReadPanda had about being able to take multiple readings on a science experiment within the same biome. I have determined that stock lets you continue to gain Science for an experiment in a specific biome until you reach the experiment's science cap. Now it's a matter of setting up the experiment so that it requires a set driving distance until you are allowed to take another reading. I'm working on that tomorrow, and if successful, the revised Crew Cab/geology lab will let you run said experiment. After that, Buffalo 1.0 will finally be done. :)

I'm happy to announce the release of Buffalo 1.0. Download the latest here!

Buffalo has finally hit its 1.0 release! :) The parts introduced in this release complete the rover side of the Buffalo MSEV. There is still more work to do, but Buffalo is in good shape now. :)

New Parts
- Added the Buffalo Airlock Modle (BAM). It has a rooftop solar panel and it holds a single kerbal.
- Added the Buffalo Ground Stabilizer. This part has fold-out stabilizer legs to lift the rover off the ground. The Ground Stabilizer has SAS and serves as a docking port as well, letting you leave components on the ground. For this to work successfully, build the body components first, and then add the chassis. Hint: the animation slider lets you adjust the height of the ground stabilizer.
- Added the Buffalo RCS Module. This quarter-length part has SAS, RCS, some MonoPropellant, a probe core oriented for vertical flight and jump jets. It also has a small chassis spacer that you can add/remove before flight.
- Added the Mk2 5-way RCS Thruster. It has a built-in monopropellant engine.
- Added the Buffalo Passenger Cabin. It comes in two sizes: short (1u) and long (2u). Both sizes have rooftop solar panels and ladders. The short and long passenger cabs can recycle Soil into Snacks.
- Added the Buffalo Service Bay. This 2u part has room for your various small parts and holds a small amount of ElectricCharge. You can toggle the central equipment rack as well. And it has enough space to carry a pair of Buckboard 1000 containers.
- Added the Buffalo Cargo Ramp. It fits onto the back of the MSEV and provides a handy ramp to get into the Service Bay.
- Added the Buffalo Aero Cone. There are several types to choose from.
- Added Wide versions of the Solar Flatbed.
- Redesigned the Mineshaft and moved it to the Buffalo mod. It can serve as a docking port and as a KAS port.

Bug Fixes & Enhancements
- Redesigned the Crew Cab slightly; the ladders are now at the ends of the circular crew ports.
IMPORTANT NOTE: You can put a Mineshaft on the circular ports and still perform EVAs.
- The Crew Cab can become a geo-survey lab even with Pathfinder installed (previously it could become a lab only if Pathfinder wasn't installed).
- The Crew Cab can become a small geo-survey lab once you unlock Field Science via the stock part upgrade system.
- The Crew Cab has an experimental science experiment that lets you Take Core Sample. You can repeat this experiment many times in the same biome. HOWEVER, unlike other experiments, you must drive a minimum distance before you can run the experiment again. WANTED: a whole bunch of science results for the WBIGeoScienceExperiment (located in 000WildBlueTools/Resources/BasicExperiments.cfg) for each biome on each planet. It's a lot, but YOU benefit by contributing to the science results! :)
- Removed deprecated parts.
- Minor bug fixes.
- Cleaned up some logging issues related to missing part modules and textures when supported mods aren't installed.
- Updated the IVAs to make them look better with IVA overlay.
- JSI Transparent Pods is now fully supported.
- Increased the size of the Mk1 5-way RCS thuster and make it comparable to the stock RCS thruster.
- The Crew Cab can (slowly) produce Snacks from Ore.
- The Command Cab and AuxEN now have integrated Kerbal Engineer support.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.