[Min KSP 1.12.2] Buffalo: NASA Inspired Modular Space Exploration Vehicle

Angelo Kerman

Not sure what you mean. I've added attachment nodes to all the flatbeds and you can use KIS to attach the Buckboards without the need for an Engineer as well. Can you elaborate?

Once, I tried to attach a science pod, but it snapped to the mounts and were 'incompatible'. I had to attach it at a odd angle to prevent it snapping to the buckboard mounting point. I was hoping the flatbed would make a good utility platform for carrying around more than just buckboards.

Also, nice work on the new update! I'm more than pumped to send a supply mission with the new wheels!

Dear Angel-125,

I really like your mod, and I'm using it in combination with BDarmory now, but the parts are a bit weak, and have no storage for ammo.

Is it okay if edit your parts and then upload them as a seperate mod? Of course I will credit you, and link to the original mod.

The things I would change are heat tolerance, crash tolerance, and what things the parts store.

I look forward to your reaction!

Once, I tried to attach a science pod, but it snapped to the mounts and were 'incompatible'. I had to attach it at a odd angle to prevent it snapping to the buckboard mounting point. I was hoping the flatbed would make a good utility platform for carrying around more than just buckboards.

Also, nice work on the new update! I'm more than pumped to send a supply mission with the new wheels!

Oh ok, I see what you're saying. I ran into that as well; I'm looking at either an equipment rack or a way to disable the KIS part module and re-enable it. The latter is more appealing to me since it means less parts.

Dear Angel-125,

I really like your mod, and I'm using it in combination with BDarmory now, but the parts are a bit weak, and have no storage for ammo.

Is it okay if edit your parts and then upload them as a seperate mod? Of course I will credit you, and link to the original mod.

The things I would change are heat tolerance, crash tolerance, and what things the parts store.

I look forward to your reaction!

My preference is for you to create a Module Manager patch to get the functionality that you want. If you are looking to create your own stand-alone mod, then definitely take up modeling like I did. :) But learning how to use the Module Manager will get you to your goal sooner. The parts aren't designed to be tanks or high-strength space capsules. I based them upon the stats for the Mk1 lander can originally, actually. But a Module Manager patch can fix that.

My preference is for you to create a Module Manager patch to get the functionality that you want. If you are looking to create your own stand-alone mod, then definitely take up modeling like I did. :) But learning how to use the Module Manager will get you to your goal sooner. The parts aren't designed to be tanks or high-strength space capsules. I based them upon the stats for the Mk1 lander can originally, actually. But a Module Manager patch can fix that.

I don't think I can do the things I want with MM, because they include your custom resource switch, and I have no experience at all with modeling. Also, I partially finished the mod, although it doesn't work, the loading bar in KSP stays stuck at the (modded) Tundra 200.

I would be very thankful if anyone could help me and see what I did wrong.

Download link: http://kerbal.curseforge.com/projects/armored-buffalo-wip

Ok, I looked into this and realized that the KIS part mount I am using for the flatbeds is set up for a limited number of parts. The idea was that anybody could stack crates but it took engineers to build things. Given the limited parts currently allowed, I can use another method to allow those parts to be loaded onto the flatbeds by anybody while allowing other parts to be surface attached to the flatbeds. I should have this sorted out by the next update.

[quote name='WGMOUNT']I keep breaking it. :(
[URL]http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b442/wgmount/Flatbed_zpsfr7lhzl3.jpg[/URL]

what am i doing wrong here. the module is 13 tons[/QUOTE]
It could be how the game node-attached the parts. It's possible that there are too many nodes on the chassis and that confuses the game so that it doesn't know what node to use to attach. I'll have to investigate that in a future release. Thanks for the feedback. :)

Get the latest [URL="https://github.com/Angel-125/Buffalo/releases/tag/0.2.3"]here[/URL].

0.2.3 Believe it or Not
The Greatest American Hero Theme Song - Believe it or Not

Test pilots wanted. Ideal candidates are unafraid of diving into config files, modifying values to improve performance, and posting their results.

Now you can fly around any planet that has an atmosphere with a personal jet-powered wing! It works similarly to a command seat; just drop it on the ground (be careful, some terrain is explosive), right-click to board it, then rotate upright. Alternately, bolt it to the side of a craft, board, and decouple. The wing can be used on any planet with an atmosphere thanks to its monopropellant-powered jet engines. Just don't expect terrific range, unless you switch to liquid fuel and fly in an oxygenated atmosphere like Kerbin or Laythe. JetWing is inspired by JetMan Yves Rossy and the defunct KerbolQuest winged jetpack. The JetWing and its accessories work best with Kerbal Inventory System and either GoodSpeed Fuel Pump or TAC Fuel Balancer.

In addition to the Jetwing, this release also introduces the M1A2 Grizzly, a larger wheel than the Mountain Goat that has a wider wheelbase and better traction. This all comes at the expense of not being able to enter and exit Mk3 cargo bays, however.

Finally, the Outback is now included with the Buffalo MSEV. The Outback is a small backpack that can store a small amount of a variety of different resources. It requires Kerbal Inventory System, but it's handy for those pesky repair missions and can be attached to the JetWing.

New Parts
- Added the M1A2 Grizzly.
- Added the JetWing.
- Added the JetWing Drop Tank. Works great with Good Speed Fuel Pump or TAC Fuel Balancer.
- Added the JetWing Parachute. Like the Outback, it can be attached to the JetWing.
- Added the JetWing Cargo Pallet. Mount these to the wing's hardpoints and you can surface-attach small items.

JetWing Flight controls
Insert: Toggle VTOL mode
PageUp: Increase vertical speed
PageDown: Decrease vertical speed
Delete: Reset vertical speed to zero
Gear: Toggle kickstand

Outback
- Moved the Outback from Pathfinder to the Buffalo category.

Promo image:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Vths3xz.jpg[/IMG] Edited by Angel-125

Any tips for driving on the Munar surface? I get ice-like traction trying to even move around the lander. My Buffalo uses a 2u flatbed, 3 chassis parts and 4 Omniwheels. 2 KIS small containers are secured to the buckboards, both empty (I suspect 1.0.5 wiped the inventories of the crates and the crew, as I had to edit a electric drill back in.)

I haven't tried the Grizzly, do you think that would perform any better? Edited by T-Pilot395

[quote name='Virtualgenius']Any chance of just getting the jet wing with out the rest of the packaged parts no disrespect intended its all i am really interested in[/QUOTE]
The JetWing is still experimental, so it isn't ready to be its own mod yet (hence the orange experimental stripes). My ideal version is one where you go on EVA, strap the wings to your back via KIS, and then fly like an aircraft. Thus far I can't do that, and the command seat approach is what I can do for now. Besides, Buffalo's theme is "Explore In Style" and the JetWing fits that theme well. Next update I can look at making the JetWing's art assets and part files self-contained though.

[quote name='T-Pilot395']Any tips for driving on the Munar surface? I get ice-like traction trying to even move around the lander. My Buffalo uses a 2u flatbed, 3 chassis parts and 4 Omniwheels. 2 KIS small containers are secured to the buckboards, both empty (I suspect 1.0.5 wiped the inventories of the crates and the crew, as I had to edit a electric drill back in.)

I haven't tried the Grizzly, do you think that would perform any better?[/QUOTE]
Low-gravity worlds are a challenge, so is making wheels in KSP. I'm finding that it's a bit of a black art to get the right traction. It sounds like I still need to tweak the wheels; bear in mind that it will make them harder to use on normal-gravity worlds..

[quote name='Angel-125']
Low-gravity worlds are a challenge, so is making wheels in KSP. I'm finding that it's a bit of a black art to get the right traction. It sounds like I still need to tweak the wheels; bear in mind that it will make them harder to use on normal-gravity worlds..[/QUOTE]

I figured as such. They work fine on Kerbin, and I like that. But on the Mun it's like ice skating.

Maybe I could recommend a wheel variant that appears to have simpler-looking suspension, but lower spring values to match, to go on such low-gravity worlds? It would be sortof like attaching the probe-sized wheels to the MSEV, except less odd and similar ground clearance. Or maybe add a attachable weight that you can place on a buckboard/in a container?

Beautiful mod! Thanks a lot for the great work. The jetpack is a hidden gem right now. Even though it's experimental you could probably introduce it in the thread title.
I m looking forward to giving it a try. Edited by Nookos

[quote name='Nookos']Beautiful mod! Thanks a lot for the great work. The jetpack is a hidden gem right now. Even though it's experimental you could probably introduce it in the thread title.
I m looking forward to giving it a try.[/QUOTE]
Good point. I'll change the title. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

[quote name='Proteus']do you must have kis to use jetpack?[/QUOTE]
Not required but highly recommended. Without KIS you'll have to attach the wing to your vessel in the VAB/SPH and then board it and decouple the wing from your craft. Without KIS you won't be able to refuel it or re-attach it to your ship.

Hey great mod there! But i have a problem:

Whenever the game try to load the Jetwing, it stuck. The game by itself is not freezing, but it wont load any further. I've tried to re-download and retry many times, didn't worked. As soon as i put out the file Jetwing.cfg, the game load and play normally. But i really want that jetwing. Any help would be very great.

I first thinked that it could be an error with Active Texture Management, but it wasn't the case.

I have windows 7 64 bit, KSP is 1.0.4 and i played it with 32 bit.

Thanks!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.