[Min KSP 1.12.2] Buffalo: NASA Inspired Modular Space Exploration Vehicle

Angelo Kerman

why do the electric props in heisenbug use so much power also the same with the submarine engines and the VTOL prop engines in buffalo

is there a way i can change this cus they look great but i can only use them for like 2 seconds before there out of power

also cant wait for buffalo 2

Edited by planeticegaming

On 1/25/2022 at 2:56 PM, Embries said:

Is there any recent youtube/reddit/etc. that show some of the mechanics of this and Pathfinder? Most everything I have found is several years old and parts don't match.

Unfortunately, no, and I don't have time to create new tutorials at the moment. Plus, my experience is that most people don't read tutorials/watch videos, so they're a lot of work for little return.

18 hours ago, Lach_01298 said:

I'm trying to create a WBI play mode with custom field configurable ISRUs. I've used WBIMultiConverter module and using the template tags to restrict which part can do what and that seems to work fine but I've also tried scaling the converters with the productivity field and that doesn't seem to work (or at least in the ops manager gui). I've also tried omniconverters and BaseEfficiency but that doesn't seem to adjust the ops manager gui ratios either.

Just wondering if this expected for WBITools and or should I be using a different method, if what I'm trying to do is possible.

Didn't know where to post this, not really about buffalo, just WBITools in general but I could not find a topic for that. 

As I recall the GUI values won't change, but when you run the converter you'll see the modified output ratios. It's the same with the stock converters; changing the efficiency doesn't change the displayed rates (at least last I looked), but in the field you'll definitely see an increased output.

1 hour ago, planeticegaming said:

why do the electric props in heisenbug use so much power also the same with the submarine engines and the VTOL prop engines in buffalo

is there a way i can change this cus they look great but i can only use them for like 2 seconds before there out of power

For Heisenberg, I have a patch from @Chladic88 that I haven't been able to apply yet. Chladic88 generously took the time to rebalance the electrical propulsion in Heisenberg. With Buffalo being replaced by its successor, I don't have time right now to rebalance the electric engines.

I can't wait for Buffalo 2 either! I'm excited to apply what I've learned over the years since I made Buffalo and leverage changes to KSP as well. Here's another teaser:

eQB4lAt.png

hH9SpQb.png

3qCI13q.png

I'm in the process of making the part variants for the new Buffalo Chassis. Yesterday I got the Medium length mesh done, and today I'm putting the finishing touches on the Medium-Long mesh (essentially equal to the old 3U mesh). For packing and printing purposes, the packed volume will be the average of the 1u and 4u- 600L, so you'll need a big container (hint: Sandcastle has them). There are a couple of changes compared to the older version. One is of course the use of part variants. Another is that the chassis only holds Electric Charge. And finally, it supports stack symmetry.

It's getting to the point where I need to open a new development thread for Buffalo 2 to avoid confusion with the original. Once Buffalo 2 is released I'll sunset this mod and close the thread. No ETA on when that will be, but Buffalo 2 is my top project.

19 hours ago, Angel-125 said:
20 hours ago, planeticegaming said:

For Heisenberg, I have a patch from @Chladic88 that I haven't been able to apply yet. Chladic88 generously took the time to rebalance the electrical propulsion in Heisenberg. With Buffalo being replaced by its successor, I don't have time right now to rebalance the electric engines.

Yeah, i hope, you will like the rebalance of the electricity consumption. Still looking for some feedback about it :-) In general, it will be easier to fly with smaller engines, but for bigger engines you will need little bit more power.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm really sorry to ask, I have a feeling that I'm missing something rather obvious, but my MFD screens in the Buffalo cab are all blank and I can't seem to turn them on. I tried to search for this problem and I couldn't find anything to fix it...

Here is an example image.

Is there any more specific information I can provide you? I really love the Buffalo and I was really looking forward to using it in IVA.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/23/2020 at 3:24 PM, Angel-125 said:

I think if KSP had more stuff to look at underwater, I would've done more with the submarine parts. Alas, I haven't seen much of anything on that front (but it is Kerbal Space Program, not Kerbal Submarine Program)..

maxresdefault.jpg

Well well well, now that we have Parallax 2.0 and the new underwater scatters, what'dya say??

• 1 month later...

So, @Angel-125, is Buffalo 2 a separate mod, and if so has it already been released? I've been having tremendous difficulties with the Buffalo rover wheels of late (got a rover that worked on Kerbin in 1.12.3 just fine but wouldn't budge on Mun for love nor money). This is with one of my old builds though.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/11/2022 at 3:47 AM, Angel-125 said:

No, but I'd suggest you take a look at Buffalo 2 instead. It will soon replace this mod. As in, by the end of this month.

Will the jetwing be also in Buffalo 2? Saw it on the promo-images in the op and found it cute.... now i hesitate to download buffalo as buffalo 2 is right around the corner.

• 6 months later...

While i get that Buffalo2 is more approach NASA's  MMSEV, and i believe with its more curves its fits more closely to kerbal's asthetics, i still believe that Buffalo 1 is still a valid aesthetic choice, with more its straight line approach, so do revisit it from time to time, if you can.

• 2 months later...

I realized today while playing around with the original Buffalo that the Buffalo drill no longer functioned as a drill, presumably caused by the removal of the BARIS prerequisite sometime back (and me not having BARIS installed).  This same issue affects the GondoDrill from the Heisenberg mod.  Anyway, I went ahead and made a MM patch that will fix the drills from both mods.  Here it is in case anyone else needs it:

@PART[WBI_BuffaloDrill]:NEEDS[WildBlueIndustries/Buffalo,!Pathfinder,!BARIS]
{
    @MODULE[ModuleBreakableHarvester]
    {
        @name = ModuleResourceHarvester
    }

@MODULE[ModuleBreakableAsteroidDrill]
    {
        @name = ModuleAsteroidDrill
    }
}

@PART[WBI_HL10GondoDrill]:NEEDS[WildBlueIndustries/Heisenberg,!Pathfinder,!BARIS]
{
    @MODULE[ModuleBreakableHarvester]
    {
        @name = ModuleResourceHarvester
    }

@MODULE[ModuleBreakableAsteroidDrill]
    {
        @name = ModuleAsteroidDrill
    }
}

I also found myself wishing the center of mass on various Buffalo (and Heisenberg) crewed parts was centered rather than below center, so I made a patch for that as well.  It will give you an option on the PAW while editing a craft in the VAB/SPH to choose between the original ("Default") or "Centered" center of mass for the affected parts.  This one requires B9PartSwitch:

@PART[WBI_BuffaloCab,wbiGuppyCab,WBI_BuffaloAirlock,WBI_CrewCab,WBI_Wagon2u-2,wbiWagonHab]:NEEDS[B9PartSwitch,WildBlueIndustries/Buffalo]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleB9PartSwitch
        moduleID = CoMswitch
        switcherDescription = Center of Mass Offset
        switcherDescriptionPlural = Center of Mass Offsets
        SUBTYPE
        {
            name = Default
        }    
            SUBTYPE
        {
            name = Centered
            CoMOffset = 0, 0, 0
        }
    }
}

@PART[WBI_GondoGarden2,WBI_GondoHab2,WBI_GondoLab2,WBI_GondoOffice]:NEEDS[B9PartSwitch,WildBlueIndustries/Heisenberg]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleB9PartSwitch
        moduleID = CoMswitch
        switcherDescription = Center of Mass Offset
        switcherDescriptionPlural = Center of Mass Offsets
        SUBTYPE
        {
            name = Default
        }    
            SUBTYPE
        {
            name = Centered
            CoMOffset = 0, 0, -0.926
        }
    }
}

Anyway, hopefully someone will find this useful.

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.