KSP Virtual Airline Mod: Theory

Techiastronamo

Note: Before you read anything else, do take note that this post explains the idea that I hope to bring to life in the future, so don't expect anything soon!

Intro:

Virtual airlines, we all have heard of them (and if you haven't, google it), but what if they were in KSP?

In a Nutshell:

The first step for a virtual airline in KSP is the contract part, as for it takes place in career mode.

All virtual airlines need jobs to do, such as transporting cargo from one airport to the next, but how can we make those contracts?

Simple, take the current "Transport Kerbal to This Location" contract, and change the coordinates and such to match the target location.

Next, need to get airports. The simplest thing for this would be Kerbal Konstructs, which would allow the importing and placing of

custom bases and airports across the planet and beyond. With Kerbal Konstructs, we can place all of the required airports where we need them to be.

The final thing is multiplayer. Dark Multiplayer already covers this, but there could be some minor improvements (like locking of vehicles you don't own).

Yea or Nay:

It is quite simple in theory, though it would require a bit of work. Do you want to see this happen, yea or nay?

I'd like to get more ideas too, if anyone has any, in case if I, or someone, creates a virtual airline system for KSP.

Note: Before you read anything else, do take note that this post explains the idea that I hope to bring to life in the future, so don't expect anything soon!

Intro:

Virtual airlines, we all have heard of them (and if you haven't, google it), but what if they were in KSP?

In a Nutshell:

The first step for a virtual airline in KSP is the contract part, as for it takes place in career mode.

All virtual airlines need jobs to do, such as transporting cargo from one airport to the next, but how can we make those contracts?

Simple, take the current "Transport Kerbal to This Location" contract, and change the coordinates and such to match the target location.

Next, need to get airports. The simplest thing for this would be Kerbal Konstructs, which would allow the importing and placing of

custom bases and airports across the planet and beyond. With Kerbal Konstructs, we can place all of the required airports where we need them to be.

The final thing is multiplayer. Dark Multiplayer already covers this, but there could be some minor improvements (like locking of vehicles you don't own).

Yea or Nay:

It is quite simple in theory, though it would require a bit of work. Do you want to see this happen, yea or nay?

I'd like to get more ideas too, if anyone has any, in case if I, or someone, creates a virtual airline system for KSP.

I can throw in my support!

- - - Updated - - -

as an avid flight simmer, myself!

Hello everyone, my multiplayer alarm was set off :D

I was actually part of a virtual airline (kinda, FGVAO wasn't as interested in accounting like merlion people) back in my flightgear days, the biggest problem is getting an active group going, timezones can be fun too...

DMP also has plenty of bugs which is a major problem, although permissions would be fairly simple to implement. I just never quite got around to it :-/

Hello everyone, my multiplayer alarm was set off :D

I was actually part of a virtual airline (kinda, FGVAO wasn't as interested in accounting like merlion people) back in my flightgear days, the biggest problem is getting an active group going, timezones can be fun too...

DMP also has plenty of bugs which is a major problem, although permissions would be fairly simple to implement. I just never quite got around to it :-/

DMP is pretty stable from all of my testing and such, it's just an issue with collision detection at some times, especially with my war servers.

Having flown real time 15-30 hour missions in FlightSim X and LockOn FC2 (CAP in an F-22 in the middle of a US-Russian war zone is a hell of an experience), I can honestly say I wouldn't really need a contract to do something like that :D

IMO, even a simple "Transport Kerbal or $cargo to location X" can be a rewarding set of contracts.

We'd need Kerbal Constructs to build the target airports which are off-site from the KSC, but I'd definitely support that. The aviation parts don't serve a lot of purpose right now (especially the Wheesley) unless you have enough tech to build SSTOs.

Airlines don't need to be limited to Kerbin, I can imagine a "Rotate 3 Kerbals on station X" (which means rendezvous, dock, and exchange crew) or a "Transport 40 Mystery Goo containers to surface base on Minmus" could be really interesting missions as well.

I MIGHT be interested. I haven't had a lot of time for KSP just recently, though hope to play more soon. But years back, I was involved in flight sims, and loved flying long flights, mostly by dead reckoning.

IMO, even a simple "Transport Kerbal or $cargo to location X" can be a rewarding set of contracts.

We'd need Kerbal Constructs to build the target airports which are off-site from the KSC, but I'd definitely support that. The aviation parts don't serve a lot of purpose right now (especially the Wheesley) unless you have enough tech to build SSTOs.

Airlines don't need to be limited to Kerbin, I can imagine a "Rotate 3 Kerbals on station X" (which means rendezvous, dock, and exchange crew) or a "Transport 40 Mystery Goo containers to surface base on Minmus" could be really interesting missions as well.

I intend to emphasize transportation within Kerbin's atmosphere, but perhaps I can make rocket parts something that is required to be researched, while having basic plane parts first.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.