Sign in to follow this  
Clipperride

Attaching Below a Heat Shield

Question

When you add a decoupler below a heat shield there are two ways to attach it. You can either attach it immediately after the heat shield or you can move it down a little and then attach it. When you do the latter, the decoupler adds a small collar to bridge the gap. Is there any advantage in using one method over the other? Or is it a relic from previous version?

Edited by Clipperride

8 answers to this question

The closer node was added because everyone and their mother hates the way the fairing looks. It artificially juts out and doesn't blend smoothly with the body of the rocket.

I don't think anyone who has realized this second node is there actually uses the first.

If you're using FAR it confers active disadvantage. Both the greater diameter and the cross sectional area changes add additional drag, in addition to a greater skin drag from additional rocket length.

Nobody likes the fairing.

To defend the fairing part of the heat shield: I don't care how it looks. And I took the second node for a bug to I never used it. I'm fine with that :D

imo, that fairing is bugged. I've used it several times .. and at some point in my mission, it always ends up gone, and my command module has a heat shield then a gap that you can see right through to the next tank.

I guess I'm one of those oddballs that like that the cowling attaches. doesn't leave any holes in my craft (which IMO would be terrible aerodynamically)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.