What in the name of Jeb IS that???

ZooNamedGames

I was performing an SLS-1-alike mission, where I launched my Duna CTV into a free return trajectory so I could test it quickly and see how the capsule/heatshield performed under high speeds (in this case 3.2km/s). And on my way back I saw this dot, this flickering object on the surface of Kerbin. What IS it? Did I see a monolith from 70km+? Is that the hidden pyrimids? I thought they didn't exist anymore??

I do have the game set to extremely low graphics which I know can allow me to see things far further than they otherwise should be. I also have Distant Object mod thing. So I don't know which of these two things are causing it, but I can see for miles. Moreover, I knowingly can see the KSC when I pass over it, but this ISN'T the KSC NOR the hidden one!! This is too far east and south of it!

As a general background of where I am, I was near the second of the 2 large peninsulas on the edge of the desert (west of the KSC), I was near there.

Picture 1:

33meAup.png

Note the object to the left of the capsule are my spent Service Module and separator. It's the object which is 1 o'clock in angle to my spacecraft. WHAT IS IT??

Picture 2:

o5w6viW.png

This is it's hard to see, but it's a little blob at about 8:45 degrees to my spacecraft. More blobish in shape here. It's really hard to see, but it's there.

Picture 2a:

W3OKnDt.png?1

This is just the 2nd image again but with the brightness increased, credit to MadRocketScientist.

Picture 3:

EpIf2L6.png

Heres its hard to see again, but it's the triangular shape in the 6th band from the left. This picture is what makes me think it's the pyramids.

Edited by ZooNamedGames

Here are the easter eggs on Kerbin, if any of them match, there ya go

Rendering errors. Happens on all settings.

I don't think so, since I've seen rendering errors, this was persistent and it didn't move. Such as the KSC from orbit.

- - - Updated - - -

Here are the easter eggs on Kerbin, if any of them match, there ya go

Maybe a monolith, need to do more searching.

Definitely not the memorial, seen it, and it's at the KSC, not the desert.

I'm already wondering if it's the pyramids. So maybe it is.

I'm definitely not at the pole.

I know where the airfield was, and I was far far west of it.

Definitely not the KSC flag pole.

Definitely not a hidden toilet.

And I'm too far north and west for it to be the underwater face.

It looks almost like a Part...

Definitely not a part. There were only 2 major segments within load distance (2.3km) and they were on the opposite side of the spacecraft at that time.

- - - Updated - - -

Can you correlate it to a map view? Could be mountain tops in the rising sun.

It isn't a mountain top, but I'll try to point out a general area in a map.

- - - Updated - - -

Might be a piece of debris from another mission, that you rendezvoused with accidentally. It's possible depending on how much debris is in your save file.

EDIT: nope I found an error in that statement of mine.

Indeed you did, for several reasons. One, none were within load distance and lastly, it was on the ground, motionless.

It's a known bug with Distant Object Enhancement where the planet flare texture can sometimes "wander" around and come close to your vessel. Make sure you have the latest version too as this bug is more common in the older ones.

:o Ok. Well can you figure out a way to make the anomaly on the 3rd image more apparent? Since the best I have is paint.

Here:

3DWGKWF.png

Edited by mythbusters844

It's a known bug with Distant Object Enhancement where the planet flare texture can sometimes "wander" around and come close to your vessel. Make sure you have the latest version too as this bug is more common in the older ones.

No I don't think so, this was distant. I was seeing it from space, and it was obviously on the ground. Moreover it was stationary. So maybe a DOE bug, but not that specific one.

Here:

http://i.imgur.com/3DWGKWF.png

Thanks, I was having trouble.

- - - Updated - - -

Improved first image:

CKE3iaM.png?1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.