What is your favorite stock engine?

Mad Rocket Scientist

Hmm... I've already picked one, but you know I've got good things to say about just about any engine. Even the Thud!

909: I use this all the time. Small, light, more thrust than the Spark, fits evenly with other size 1 parts.

Skipper: My favourite medium-lifter second stage/munar transfer stage.

Aerospike: Even with its downsides, it's a great-looking and performing shuttle/spaceplane/lander engine, especially after the weight went down.

Mainsail: TWR out the ying-yang, only beaten by the LFB at it's size.

Ant/spider: Weighs next to nothing, just enough thrust for a probe or low-gravity moon probe lander.

Flea: It's like a big separatron! Great for sudden little boosts.

Thud: Surprisingly powerful, especially if used in symmetry. Almost made it onto my Tylo lander, lost out to the poodle.

I could go on...

Wow, so many respected, experienced players are saying Skipper. I finally feel vindicated for my love of the Skipper after having seen so many people say that in any instance that a Skipper might look favorable that the rocket should be modified to either use a Poodle or Mainsail. Thanks :D

#1- M55 thud.

Not the most efficient, not the most powerful, but very good for flatter landers and looks very good. It's one of the engines I use the most until Nerva and even in some cases even afterwards.

It's probably going to be outclassed by the new shuttle engine when it gets published (1.0.5 I think). If I am to believe Wikipedia and apply the 1/6th scale of KSP... A max thrust of 350 with ISP of 462(vac)/366(asl).

#2- Nerva.

I am just frustrated there is no 2.5m of this.

#3 - Dawn (Ion engine)

Same as Nerva, no 2.5m of this. But with the new 5k xenon reservoir you can make pretty small and efficient probes with this.

I wish it would have an engine sound (I cant describe it, but the best one I am thinking of would be the Ultravision sound from Neverwinter Nights one. Feels like light powder being consumed or something... not a musician here cant name it sorry).

Where's the love for the Nerva and the IX-6315 Dawn? I just love those Xenon powered ships. They'll take you to the edge of the solar system and back again without trouble.

I just can't use both of them properly; the fuel required to go good distances makes it harder to launch with the NERVA and the Dawn allways makes the xenon tank usage too high for my liking.

Where's the love for the Nerva and the IX-6315 Dawn? I just love those Xenon powered ships. They'll take you to the edge of the solar system and back again without trouble.

I love making ion powered probes. Its just that I play on career mode and it sometimes takes me a long time to tech up enough to get the ion engine.

My favorite stock engine has to be the Nerv. If you care about the aesthetics of your interplanetary ships, they are easy to fit in aesthetically-pleasing configurations.

Here are just two examples of this:

Wfsyym6.jpgYPfWEoE.jpg?1

Ignore the Aerodynamic Forces Overlay message on the last screenshot. That picture was taken prior to the fixing of the issue through the downloading of mods.

Edited by LaytheDragon

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.