Pickaxe - Compact Mining Dropship

Cool. I wonder how much dV you had to sacrifice though. There used to be a monoprop tank were the bay is now, right? But I bet with your clip-magic you made up for that somehow.

As it happens not a lot! Without the command pod and parachute the Puff Puff still puts out 2k with a higher T/W ratio and less fuel!

BnFsJwu.jpg

I've tried to focus the design to more of a pure base builder/light tug, although by adding RCS drop tanks and locking the tanks on the Puff Puff you can bump the DV to around 3k+. :wink: The new design uses two main outboard tanks with two smaller reserve tanks mounted fore and aft of the cockpit.

S73BpiC.jpg

Good times. :)

Cupcake...

• 4 months later...

I see you and I have a taste for old fashioned mining names :)

Pickaxe, a Mk3 Infinirange Mining Spaceplane (SSTO)!
Y6WcNc0.png
Well, as stated, it's a simple trick of carrying a mining kit everywhere you go. Can handle EverythingTM except Eve and Tylo.

Flight instructions:
None. Pitch according to thrust output. If thrust is increasing, pitch to the point it is barely increasing.
Pitch level at "speed run" altitude.

Action Groups:
1 Toggle RAPIERS
2 Switch RAPIER mode
3 Toggle Nuclear rocket

:D

That's ripped straight from my SSTO repository :)

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Thanks and appreciation to @Cupcake...for the Pickaxe.  It and Fredney completed the Dres6 contract.

Here is the Pickaxe with it's support ship:

IbR51Wg.png

Here it in on my last stop (Mun) with Fredney planting the flag and green contract completion in upper right

nOK0mEz.png

Thanks again

16 minutes ago, Gilph said:

Hi,

Thanks and appreciation to @Cupcake...for the Pickaxe.  It and Fredney completed the Dres6 contract.

Here is the Pickaxe with it's support ship:

IbR51Wg.png

Here it in on my last stop (Mun) with Fredney planting the flag and green contract completion in upper right

nOK0mEz.png

Thanks again

My pleasure! :) Expect an upgrade/new model once 1.1 hits.

Cupcake...

7 hours ago, Cupcake... said:

Cupcake...

Matter of fact, we expect more than just one upgrade from you, Sir :)

exciting times! 1.1 makes me dream of huge motherships. See you on the 1.1 side, mate

Daf

On 4/8/2016 at 8:32 PM, Cupcake... said:

Cupcake...

Awesome...one question...will the upgraded one have some cooling?  I am testing replacing the two side jr. ports with small radiators for the next big journey to speed up the mining.  Not sure if the extra weight is worth it, but if I pair it with my support ship above, it may be OK. Or, is there is a sweet spot to put only 1 small radiator to at least help with the temps and still keep things balanced?

Regards, Gilph

Edited by Gilph
typo

5 hours ago, Gilph said:

Awesome...one question...will the upgraded one have some cooling?  I am testing replacing the two side jr. ports with small radiators for the next big journey to speed up the mining.  Not sure if the extra weight is worth it, but if I pair it with my support ship above, it may be OK. Or, is there is a sweet spot to put only 1 small radiator to at least help with the temps and still keep things balanced?

Regards, Gilph

It'll be tested to work in 1.1 so yes, it'll have cooling built in. Watch this space. :wink:

Cupcake...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.